Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 15 2011, 03:12 PM   #76
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2011 (Düsseldorf, Germany)

Australis wrote: View Post
Part of the interval act is a singer in a plaid suit I’ve never heard of. Actually you’d think he was an entry from Austria or a slightly hip East European backwater, a frantic piece of ska-pop followed by a pop-rocker that wasn’t too bad at all.
Jan Delay actually started out in hip hop but ever since he's become a solo artist he keeps changing his musical style. His debut album Searching for the Jan Soul Rebels is one of the best German albums ever, I think. The second one, Mercedes Dance, is also pretty good.

Jono wrote: View Post
On the hosts: Anke was kind of odd. She had some strange facial expressions and over the top actions.
Well, she is odd. Kind of crazy but pretty funny (she's a comedian).
Old May 15 2011, 04:57 PM   #77
iBender
Fleet Captain

Part of the interval act is a singer in a plaid suit I’ve never heard of. Actually you’d think he was an entry from Austria or a slightly hip East European backwater...
Make that two for 'I've never heard of'.
Honestily, he was like some Kanye West European Wannabe (To me.)
iBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 05:11 PM   #78
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

Why Azerbaijan? Why? As Shaytan said, boring. One wonders about the juries, how they came to vote for this.
A speculation I've heard on another forum is that the juries were trying to set up a battle with Italy, Ukraine and Sweden for the last few votes (it would make sense in Italy's case, because I can't see how people voted for it) but Azerbaijan won the televote by a large margin and scuppered their plans.

If we get the split results, we'll be able to see better how the contest went.

No offense, everyone, but I'm struggling to see how anyone could not see Running Scared as winning material. As soon as I heard it for the first time I said to myself "That should win," and now it actually has.
Old May 15 2011, 05:16 PM   #79
iBender
Fleet Captain

No offense to anyone who likes this, but for a musician, doing the Euro Vision song contest is like Career suicide, over here. The only reason why Blue done it was because, the last time anyone had ever heard of Blue was in 2002. (If I'm honest) It's just a huge tounge and cheek light hearted joke.
Old May 15 2011, 05:55 PM   #80
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Eyes wrote: View Post
A speculation I've heard on another forum is that the juries were trying to set up a battle with Italy, Ukraine and Sweden for the last few votes (it would make sense in Italy's case, because I can't see how people voted for it)
Italy was original, alive (in a live interpretation, that's a major point, it's more important than being technically perfect) and had some musical qualities.

No offense, everyone, but I'm struggling to see how anyone could not see Running Scared as winning material. As soon as I heard it for the first time I said to myself "That should win," and now it actually has.
Because it's forgettable...hey, I already don't remember it.
It's made to please people who doesn't really care about music, who are happy with something easy to the hears. But when you think about it, there is no material in it, nothing to remember.
Old May 15 2011, 05:59 PM   #81
Eyes
Commodore

^^I think it's actually supposed to be some idea of a comeback.

However, the UK has one of the best music scenes on the planet, we should be sending entries like Blue every year, rather than sending X-Factor rejects, long dead bubblegum-pop acts 10 years late, and nobodies (2008, 2007 and 2010 in order).

We just don't benefit much from diaspora votes that are always going to be there no matter what they do. Cyprus giving 12 points to Greece is a fact of life, but there aren't any countries who do that to us, so we need to work harder, and we should, considering we are in general better at music.

It's just the ridiculous opinion of EV that we have over here. As shown by 12 points to Ireland, 10 points to the (nice, but) blandest entry in the competition, and 8 points to Moldova. As soon as the UK starts really taking it seriously like everyone else does, we'll do well, and Blue were an important step towards that (Or they would have been if they had got top 10).

Shaytan wrote: View Post
A speculation I've heard on another forum is that the juries were trying to set up a battle with Italy, Ukraine and Sweden for the last few votes (it would make sense in Italy's case, because I can't see how people voted for it)
Italy was original, alive (in a live interpretation, that's a major point, it's more important than being technically perfect) and had some musical qualities.
I thought Italy was really boring. Even more boring than France, which at least had nice vocals. And the sound in the bridge... painful.

ETA:
Shaytan wrote: View Post
Because it's forgettable...hey, I already don't remember it.
It's made to please people who doesn't really care about music, who are happy with something easy to the hears. But when you think about it, there is no material in it, nothing to remember.
Or because it's emotionally structured. I thought it was memorable, actually. Definitely a track that stood out from first listen, and again in the contest live - while UK and Sweden, my other favourites, had slightly less amazing live performances - in Sweden's case because it was too loud.

I've had the accusation of music I like only 'appealing to people who don't care about music' several times before and I hate it. I care about music; I love it. The opening bits, and then the lead up to the glorious chorus, just stand head and shoulders above everything else.

Maybe the lyrics mean less, but the instrumental is beautiful, and the lyrics manage to fit perfectly with the timing. It makes me feel emotional, and that's what counts for me.

Last edited by Iz Cold; May 15 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 06:10 PM   #82
iBender
Fleet Captain

I doubt you'd ever see the UK take it seriously.

If we did, we'd call on America and have a Snoop Dogg/Metallica Cross Over, or call on Led Zeppelin or the Spice Girls, wheel them out and have them sing for us, but we don't, so that's what you get instead; Blue.

No self respecting artist in the UK would dare play the Euro Vision song contest for fear of losing and becomming a joke or winning and being forever asscociated with the Euro Vision song contest.
Old May 15 2011, 06:11 PM   #83
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I don't know, taking it too seriously can also lead to embarrassing results (see a good number of German entries over the decades). I think, above all, it should be fun and then, you'll do well, eventually.
Old May 15 2011, 06:22 PM   #84
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Or because it's emotionally structured. I thought it was memorable, actually.
I actually don't think it will be remembered for a long time, even by people who liked it.

I miss the time when sending the Wampas to the Eurovision was a serious possibility
I don't want to win the Eurovision, I want to laugh at it

Old May 15 2011, 06:22 PM   #85
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I missed Jan Delay's performance on Saturday and just watched it on YouTube and frankly, I'm a bit surprised by the lukewarm reception here. He played "Oh, Johnny" from his last album Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Soul first and I think it's a powerful song, probably the best from an album whose sound doesn't really appeal to me. The second song was "Klar" from his second album Mercedes Dance, again a bit too souly for me, I would have preferred the intro from the same album. The songs of his I like best all would have been too political and with too much of an anti-German undertone to them for such a venue, though. Too bad. But I think those were good songs to groove along to.
Old May 15 2011, 06:23 PM   #86
Eyes
Commodore

iBender wrote: View Post
I doubt you'd ever see the UK take it seriously.

If we did, we'd call on America and have a Snoop Dogg/Metallica Cross Over, or call on Led Zeppelin or the Spice Girls, wheel them out and have them sing for us, but we don't, so that's what you get instead; Blue.

No self respecting artist in the UK would dare play the Euro Vision song contest for fear of losing and becomming a joke or winning and being forever asscociated with the Euro Vision song contest.
That is really unfortunate, really. People like Lena and Eric Saade are really big artists in their home territories and are being sent to Eurovision as the pride and joy of the nation. The best we can do is a 7-year defunct boyband.
If we sent someone like Adele next year, or even Hurts, who are already huge in Europe, we'd be getting top 10 every time.

But I do enjoy a lot of the cheesiness, to be honest, particularly Scandinavian entries. I wouldn't want that to go.
Old May 15 2011, 06:29 PM   #87
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

It was a desperate dull evening as most of the countries now take it very seriously, so you just get slick corporate euro-pop - not something I'd tune in for. We all voted for Moldova as they provided the best comedy value. I certainly think us brits are getting increasingly out of step from the rest of europe as we want cheese, stupid costumes and general weirdness rather than people trying to actually win - where the people singing about being pirates of the sea or doing a cheerful song about Genghis Khan?

I missed Jan Delay's performance on Saturday and just watched it on YouTube and frankly, I'm a bit surprised by the lukewarm reception here. He played "Oh, Johnny" from his last album Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Soul first and I think it's a powerful song, probably the best from an album whose sound doesn't really appeal to me.
Powerful? It was awful, it was like a german version of Jay Kay.

Last edited by JoeZhang; May 15 2011 at 06:53 PM.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 07:03 PM   #88
iBender
Fleet Captain

I'm somewhat glad we take the Brit Awards more seriously than Eurovison.
Old May 15 2011, 07:06 PM   #89
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

iBender wrote: View Post
I'm somewhat glad we take the Brit Awards more seriously than Eurovison.

But the Brits offers a different mental space than eurovision - we watch the brits to support music we care about, we watch eurovision to have a laugh.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 07:43 PM   #90
iBender
Fleet Captain

Listening to Graham Norton was funny (If not sometimes retarded.)