TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old May 14 2011, 11:37 PM   #1
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

special features wishlist for TNG-R Blu-ray

Okay we've heard about the rumors recently that TNG is getting a remastered effort by CBS for HD.
Now I started a thread a couple years ago about ENT getting a Blu-ray release and a wishlist for special features I'd like to see for that.

In the same vein of the idea. If TNG-Remastered happens what special features would you like to see for complete seasons sets?

Surely we can have 1 if not 2 audio commentaries for every episode. Yes TNG is that popular that they can have a director/crew commentary, and a cast commentary, some Patrick Stewart & Jonathan Frakes commentaries, some Rick Berman commentaries, director commentaries especially when actors directed episodes such as "In Theory" directed by Patrick Stewart.
How about a Gene Roddenberry commentary pieces together from various interviews for an episode? Disney has done this with Walt Disney interviews for a number of films such as Fantasia: 60th Anniversary Edition.

more of those Okuda text trivia commentaries.

deleted scenes such as:
Encounter At Farpoint
A deleted scene includes footage of tentacles which reach out of a wall of the alien lifeform and grabbed for Troi and Riker. The producers decided these special effects looked horrible and removed the scene from the episode.
also from memory alpha.
I'd just like to see the deleted scene as-was-produced in standard definition.
I'd like them to show some behind-the-scenes on-set footage from Paramount's sister show Entertainment Tonight maybe from a promo piece before the start of each new season that was not used for the DVD season sets.

Best of Both Worlds with an optional isolated music-only score audio option.
Old May 15 2011, 12:03 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: special features wishlist for TNG-R Blu-ray

The "Next time on..." trailers.
Old May 15 2011, 01:26 PM   #3
GNDN
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
The "Next time on..." trailers.
This!

And deleted scenes would be great, especially since they'll have to be going back to the original footage.

Commentaries could also be fun. Don't know how much new we'd learn, unless they get Wil Wheaton to recite his blogs over the eps
Old May 15 2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Flake
Commodore

Gag reels!
Old May 15 2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Botany Bay
Commodore

Trailers, promo materials, commentaries, Okuda text commentaries for every episode and a generous helping of deleted scenes are the absolute *minimum* I would expect before even *thinking* about getting my wallet out for a double dip of TNG.

A no holds barred series of interviews with writers/producers discussing just what the hell was going on behind the scenes of this show in the early years would be nice - it's certainly long overdue, and I bet there is tons of stuff the public doesn't know about yet.
Old May 15 2011, 06:25 PM   #6
MacLeod
Admiral

As it's for DVD's how about restorting some deleted scenes to the episodes, if the film still exists.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old May 16 2011, 04:27 PM   #7
GNDN
Commodore

Most deleted scenes are cut for a reason, don't know that I'd want them re-edited just because. I think a selection of deleted scenes would be fine for the most part, but interesting to know of scenes only cut for time.

How about a PLAY ALL BUTTON?!?! especially for 2-parters? And a chapter stop between the "previously on" re-cap and the rest of the teaser?
Old May 16 2011, 05:34 PM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

GNDN wrote: View Post

How about a PLAY ALL BUTTON?!?!
A-fucking-men. How hard can it be to implement this?
Old May 16 2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

I would really like a commentary of some sort on each episode, and on the better episodes have more then one. Best of Both Worlds with an optional isolated music-only score audio option I like a lot too. Next on, play all, and so on would be excellent as well. I don't mind if they really don't redo the special effects as long as they upgrade most of it to look decent on a big screen.
Old May 16 2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

A Documentary about the development of the show, featuring interviews with the likes of Gene Roddenberry, Rick Berman and the Main Cast. It would be cool to hear about the early days and what they were trying to accomplish with TNG. Its long overdue in my opinion
Old May 16 2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Lateralus
Commander

If TNG gets a Blu release, I'm pretty sure we'll all get plenty of supplements, especially on the interviews/behind-the-scenes front.
Old May 17 2011, 04:13 AM   #12
ScottDS
Captain

I'd love to see the "Next on..." trailers, galleries of artwork and storyboards, and any and all deleted scenes. Some thoughts below...

-Text commentaries (I think the Okudas have done some for the various compilations)... I see us getting anywhere between three and six per season, though every episode would be nice (the Seinfeld DVDs have them on every episode)

-Audio commentaries (again, I think a few were recorded for the compilations)... I doubt anyone from the cast will sit in for one, other than maybe Frakes, Sirtis, and Wheaton... but I can see the Okudas, Dan Curry, Ron Moore, Brannon Braga, and the other writers doing a few, along with some of the regular directors and maybe Trek experts like Jeff Bond and Larry Nemecek... as for recording them for every episode... not a chance!

-They'll probably include the Best Buy-exclusive featurettes along with the three new featurettes that were produced for the TNG Complete Series set

-I'd love to see new interviews with the "TNG stock company" (regular guest stars)

-Tributes to Michael Piller and Majel Barrett would be much appreciated!

-I doubt we'll ever get gag reels (why start now?) or isolated scores (Film Score Monthly's Ron Jones boxset is awesome!)
Old May 17 2011, 07:19 AM   #13
Biffette
Captain

I would double-dip for the trailers. And deleted footage, if there was enough of it. But I would triple-dip for the trailers.
Old May 17 2011, 12:22 PM   #14
Reeborg
Commander

I would wish for the (EU-)Blu-Ray edition to be an extended "language version" with more dubbings additional to existing Eng/Fr/Sp/Ger/Ita (even if it was a voice over as the Russians do, or "outer European" languages like Japanese etc.). This would be for me an important buy criteria since I already possess all Star Trek seasons on DVD.
Old May 17 2011, 06:50 PM   #15
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Captain M wrote: View Post
A Documentary about the development of the show, featuring interviews with the likes of Gene Roddenberry, Rick Berman and the Main Cast. It would be cool to hear about the early days and what they were trying to accomplish with TNG. Its long overdue in my opinion
Captain M, do you mean something different than the number of shorter documentaries featuring these kinds of interviews done in 2002 for the TNG season sets?

all standard definition (4:3 video)
descriptions from various DVD reviews on the Internet
season 1:
4 "behind-the-scenes" featurettes (The Beginning, Selected Crew Analysis, Making of a Legend and Memorable Missions)
season 2:
5 "behind-the-scenes" featurettes (Mission Overview: Year Two, Selected Crew Analysis: Year Two, Departmental Briefing: Year Two - Production, Departmental Briefing: Year Two - Memorable Missions and Inside Starfleet Archives (Sets & Props))
season 3:
4 "behind-the-scenes" featurettes (Mission Overview: Year Three, Selected Crew Analysis: Year Three, Departmental Briefing: Year Three - Production and Departmental Briefing: Year Three - Memorable Missions),
season 4:
"Mission Overview: Year Four," which discusses the creation of "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II," "Q-Pid," and the 100th episode; "Selected Crew Analysis: Year Four," dealing with Wil Wheaton; and "Departmental Briefing: Year Four: Production," in which we get a look at directors of the episodes, including Jonathan Frakes. Other featurettes are "New Life and New Civilizations," which takes a look at creating alien worlds for the episodes, and "Chronicles from the Final Frontier," an overview of memorable episodes with writers Ronald D. Moore, Brannon Braga, and Jeri Taylor.
season 5:
"Mission Overview: Year Five", "Memorable Missions: Year Five", "Departmental Briefing--Year Four: Production", "Departmental Briefing--Year Four: Visual Effects", and "A Tribute to Gene Roddenberry".
season 6:
"Mission Overview", "Departmental Briefing" section includes two featurettes: a fifteen-minute featurette on production, focusing on the re-creation of the bridge set from the original Enterprise for the episode "Relics,"
Bold New Directions (17:55) Explores Patrick Stewart's experience directing the episode "A Fistful of Datas." LeVar Burton comments on his directorial debut of the episode "Second Chances."
Departmental Briefing - Profile Dan Curry visual effects producer, Special Crew Profile - LT. Commander Data
season 7:
Mission Overview, A Captain's Tribute (16:28)
Patrick Stewart pays tribute to each principal cast member, Departmental Briefing - Production (Gates McFadden discusses her directorial debut in "Genesis"), Starfleet Moments and Memories,
The Making of "All Good Things" (17:41)
The cast and crew share their recollections of making the final episode. Includes footage from Entertainment Tonight.
I'd like some more special features for the Blu-rays but to also include all the above from 2002 DVDs.
Closed Thread