RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,679
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 436
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Finale"
SUPERMAN (Excellent) 35 33.02%
The Blur (Above Average) 24 22.64%
CLARK KENT (Average) 22 20.75%
Kal-El (Below Average) 12 11.32%
BIZARRO (Poor) 13 12.26%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14 2011, 06:51 PM   #706
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Re: Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Those pictures are very appealing. Her haircut ruins just about everything.

From an interview with the producers...

SOUDERS: I’ll just say that some things get reconciled, and then with some things, we worked with DC and DC said, “This is Smallville.” There are a few things that don’t quite get reconciled because it’s its own mythology.

PETERSON: That’s the whole point of the idea of reconciliation. From every movie to every comic book, there have been different Earths and there were many crises. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly one thing that you’re supposed to line up to, so we’re just one more of those different variations, but we, along with a lot of the movies, have been very reverent to the source material. Even though we’ve taken slight liberties, we haven’t gone way off the path.
Really? The whole Henry James Olson nonsense, Lex losing his memories, and Lois and Clark inexplicably not getting married after seven years wreaks of pissing on your story in order to line-up with the Superman mythos.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 06:52 PM   #707
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

Actually, it wasn't a bad episode of Smallville and it had its moments but it also really crystallizes a lot of the complaints. I was hoping against hope that they might elevate their game for the end.
Yeah, as frustrating as it was, it's STILL one of the better Smallville episodes I've seen. For whatever that's worth.

What all this really does, though, is make me miss Lois & Clark. I swear, that show displayed more charm and wit in ONE episode than Smallville did over 10 freakin seasons. And the action scenes were a helluva lot better too.

Hopefully the next Superman series we get will be much more in the spirit of THAT show than this one.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 07:13 PM   #708
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It's weird after SG-U seeing TJ as Black Canary.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 07:26 PM   #709
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

now that smallville is over.... what can be douched on next?
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 07:40 PM   #710
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

HellCats, of course.
Old May 14 2011, 07:44 PM   #711
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

^Canceled.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 07:47 PM   #712
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Thank Rao ... it's over. Last five minutes was the best part of the finale, but it wasn't worth ten years and 85 minutes of crap.
Old May 14 2011, 07:56 PM   #713
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

There is no need to point out how disappointing the finale was. Yes, the geek out moments were awesome but otherwise they literally squandered not just an entire season but the finale itself! Welling not wearing the suit was the ultimate low blow to the fans. This wasn't a "send off", it was just something the writers scribbled in a hurry to get to production. 10 years and this is what we got? I dare say Enterprise finale was better than this!
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 08:01 PM   #714
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
.... I dare say Enterprise finale was better than this!

No. ENTERPRISE's finale was unforgivable.
Old May 14 2011, 08:04 PM   #715
Captain Mike
Commodore

Photoman15 wrote: View Post

Nothing wrong with either if you had an opened mind.....
Old May 14 2011, 08:05 PM   #716
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Photoman15 wrote: View Post

I can forgive TATV a bit because there was some ambition to say something about the entirety of Trek, especially the Mod versions. But this finale didn't have ambition to say anything interesting about the Superman mythos.
Old May 14 2011, 08:17 PM   #717
O'Dib
Commodore

Y'know, I think it's actually pretty difficult to fuck up Superman's origin story. It's simple, iconic, strikes all the right notes. I've read nearly all iterations of it out there. Sadly the last "Secret Origins" one's gotta be the worst. And it borrows heavily from Smallville, go figure. This show was really confused about its purpose. It started as a "grounded", "realistic" portrayal of how the Man of Steel got his start. Someone who knew nothing about Superman was supposed to be able to watch this and understand and believe why someone would end up wearing red undies over his tights, all under his boxers and pants. What we got instead was its compulsion to not take us there, making the sudden transformation so much more laughable. Knowing they'd have him on for 5 seconds of screen time, they never bothered to tailor a Superman suit that would fit Welling, and ended up making a goofy cg rendering of him instead. Super-disappointing and downright evil in the scale of the let-down this was.
Old May 14 2011, 08:20 PM   #718
Dream
Admiral

For those wondering why Sam Jones (Pete) didn't even get mentioned, the actor was arrested for drug trafficking and could face 20 years in prison. First trying to sell Stride gum and then pills.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 08:25 PM   #719
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
For those wondering why Sam Jones (Pete) didn't even get mentioned, the actor was arrested for drug trafficking and could face 20 years in prison. First trying to sell Stride gum and then pills.
However, a drawing of Pete could be seen in that comic book Chloe was reading, so he wasn't completely ignored.
Old May 14 2011, 08:26 PM   #720
Captain Mike
Commodore

O'Dib wrote: View Post
Y'know, I think it's actually pretty difficult to fuck up Superman's origin story. It's simple, iconic, strikes all the right notes. I've read nearly all iterations of it out there. Sadly the last "Secret Origins" one's gotta be the worst. And it borrows heavily from Smallville, go figure. This show was really confused about its purpose. It started as a "grounded", "realistic" portrayal of how the Man of Steel got his start. Someone who knew nothing about Superman was supposed to be able to watch this and understand and believe why someone would end up wearing red undies over his tights, all under his boxers and pants. What we got instead was its compulsion to not take us there, making the sudden transformation so much more laughable. Knowing they'd have him on for 5 seconds of screen time, they never bothered to tailor a Superman suit that would fit Welling, and ended up making a goofy cg rendering of him instead. Super-disappointing and downright evil in the scale of the let-down this was.

It seems that the only disappointment that viewers like yourself didn't get what "you" wanted to see. This "start" was from an complete and different ideal origin of what was already known.
With thinking it was different from say apples and oranges, I THOUROUGHLY enjoyed all 10 seasons.