RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 439
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate DTI: Watching The Clock
Outstanding 93 58.49%
Above Average 44 27.67%
Average 13 8.18%
Below Average 3 1.89%
Poor 6 3.77%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2011, 10:39 PM   #151
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

I will have to read the annotations.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2011, 10:36 PM   #152
Glitch
Lieutenant

Good book. Surprisingly sexy in some parts...and I really loved the allusions to Baxter's works. It makes sense that this particular author is a fan.
Glitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 03:33 AM   #153
Glitch
Lieutenant

It would be interesting to know if the uptime temporal agencies have ever encountered Lazarus Long or any of his ilk. After all, the Star Trek universe is one than can be visited by a continua device.
Old May 14 2011, 03:36 AM   #154
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Great story and really liked the reveal at the end of the book. I also think the ending of the book kills any belief that the Trek books are now just dark and gloomy.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 04:44 AM   #155
Quimby
Lieutenant

Loved the book! Thank you for such a fun and thought provoking story.

I am reading annotations on your site and I must admit, I missed the fact that there were 24 chapters. However, given you meant to allude to a clock, you missed a fun opportunity to present Chapter 4 as IIII rather than IV the way many (most?) Grandfather clocks do.
Old May 14 2011, 04:47 AM   #156
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Are there even still audiobooks anymore? If so, they should totally get Jack Blessing and James Jansen to do the reading.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 06:49 AM   #157
Idran
Commander

Glitch wrote: View Post
It would be interesting to know if the uptime temporal agencies have ever encountered Lazarus Long or any of his ilk. After all, the Star Trek universe is one than can be visited by a continua device.
Oh, I really hope not. No offense to Heinlein, but the Lazarus Long stuff really wasn't his best work. (Time travel for purposes of incest isn't exactly my cup of tea. )
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 02:56 PM   #158
Christopher
Writer

I'm not a Heinlein fan and I've never read anything with Lazarus Long in it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 04:23 PM   #159
Glitch
Lieutenant

Christopher wrote: View Post
You did, however, reference him in your annotations.

I'm much more interested in your referencing of Stephen Baxter. Did you enjoy The Time Ships? I thought it was fantastic...he's truly an underrated SF author.
Old May 14 2011, 04:37 PM   #160
Glitch
Lieutenant

Just a note, I think Heinlein would have appreciated how you wrote the Deltan/human sexual interaction dynamic. The Deltan DTI agent felt alien but still relatable.
Old May 14 2011, 04:48 PM   #161
Christopher
Writer

Glitch wrote: View Post
You did, however, reference him in your annotations.
Only because I discovered after the fact that the euphemism "'fresher" for "bathroom," which has been used in Trek literature since the '80s, actually originated with Heinlein. And I only know that because it occurred to me to look up the term in the SF Terminology Citations database when I came across it in a Star Wars novel as well. (I usually don't read SW novels, but I came upon Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry at the library, and I was curious.)

I'm much more interested in your referencing of Stephen Baxter. Did you enjoy The Time Ships? I thought it was fantastic...he's truly an underrated SF author.
I thought it was pretty effective and interesting, a successful melding of Wells pastiche with modern quantum theory. Though there's one really big plot hole that bugs me -- if every time travel sends you to an alternate timeline, then how did the folks in the time-travelling tanks end up getting back to the same early-20th-century timeline they originated in?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 06:59 PM   #162
Glitch
Lieutenant

Sites like that make me happy there's an Internet.

if every time travel sends you to an alternate timeline, then how did the folks in the time-travelling tanks end up getting back to the same early-20th-century timeline they originated in?
Hmm. I don't know...at least I'll have something to think about while I suffer through a viewing of Something Borrowed at the movie theater tonight.
Old May 14 2011, 11:51 PM   #163
ToddCam
Captain

Great book! I do hope you get some sequels.

Also, thanks for the annotations. Love them.

The first appearance of a Selenean, as far as I am aware, is in "Chiaroscuro" from Prophecy and Change, in which one of Jadzia's former superiors was one. It was by Geoffrey Thorne.

I am so glad you used an original character (Jena Noi) as opposed to Daniels. Like you said, he is boring. SO boring.
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 12:55 AM   #164
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

View OverlordSpock's Twitter Profile

I rated the book "Average". Not because I didn't enjoy it, but because I've enjoyed Christopher's other books so much more.

Honestly, although I did enjoy the book overall, it was a bit hard to slog through it from...er...time to time. I normally enjoy books with very complex plots that interweave back and forth with many disparate parts that eventually tie together, but this one lost me more than once, forcing me to go back and re-read certain sections. It took me two weeks to read this book and I normally finish most books in four to five days.

The other thing that hurt the book in my mind (and something I didn't enjoy about the Temporal Cold War in Enterprise and so many episodes of Voyager) is that it just makes time travel look so easy. I am, personally, very uncomfortable with that idea (for a wide variety of reasons that I shall not go into here). But these agents from different centuries and different timelines showing up and leaving at a whim just...frustrated me. Don't get me wrong though: I knew this kind of thing was going to happen in this book going in.

That being said, I really liked the character of Jenna Noi. I really liked how ambiguous her loyalties were for her first few appearances in the book (and kinda wished they had stayed ambiguous). I liked Lucsly's and Dulmurs reactions every time she showed up. I loved how she mercilessly teased Lucsly.

The book was a good solid offering by Christopher. I just really liked his other books better.
OverlordSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 02:59 AM   #165
Glitch
Lieutenant

I had to watch Trials and Tribble-ations after finishing the book and the author expanded the characters in a very believable fashion.

My only (slight) criticism? I think Dulmur's origin story should have been saved for another book. It's an interesting story that felt a bit rushed, if only because there was so much material that needed to be covered.

The ending? Brilliant. Asimov would have been very proud.

The DTI concept could easily be made into a book series...I hope that happens. It would be great to see other authors' take on the expanded concept.