MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 5 2011, 05:45 PM   #211
Jax
Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

I will probably buy Uncharted 3 on day one release in November and this does leave Elder V open for day 1 buy now but I still might hold off for patch work.
Old May 5 2011, 10:06 PM   #212
j3067
Lieutenant Commander

Definitely better to release the game based on readiness instead of a deadline. They probably want to position this game to release after KOTOR...just in case they need an infusion of good publicity.
j3067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 04:17 PM   #213
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2011, 06:10 AM   #214
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

Five new ME3 details you might want to hear

Minor spoilers. One is of a nature that it basically confirms a storyline you probably figured you would see in ME3 if you played ME2.

Only the first detail gives me any hope for this game. Three sort of sounded good until I got to the end. There's only one thing they could say for two that would get me excited (and they haven't said it yet). The implementations of four and five sound like the exact sort of things Bioware will royally screw up.

Most of these dispatches so far have sounded like they are playing to the 'EPIC PWN FAIL' crowd, which I have nothing in common with. (/crotchety)

Last edited by T.Geiger; May 13 2011 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Fixing link
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2011, 06:14 AM   #215
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Fixed link.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2011, 08:47 AM   #216
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

T.Geiger wrote: View Post
Five new ME3 details you might want to hear

Minor spoilers. One is of a nature that it basically confirms a storyline you probably figured you would see in ME3 if you played ME2.

Only the first detail gives me any hope for this game. Three sort of sounded good until I got to the end. There's only one thing they could say for two that would get me excited (and they haven't said it yet). The implementations of four and five sound like the exact sort of things Bioware will royally screw up.

Most of these dispatches so far have sounded like they are playing to the 'EPIC PWN FAIL' crowd, which I have nothing in common with. (/crotchety)
You are hard to please.
Old May 12 2011, 10:19 AM   #217
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I think the idea of a smaller number of squad mates was always a foregone conclusion. As the article points out, ME2 was all about building the "ultimate team" so it had to be a big, diverse group. Of course part of the trouble is the fact that--aside from Liara--every single squad mate to date may already be dead one way or another, which means that none of them can be essential in ME3. That's somewhat mitigated by Ash and Kaiden being interchangeable (in terms of narrative) but the fact remains, only ONE squad mate is guaranteed to be on Shepard's squad.

So I think what we can expect is a similar arrangement to ME1 with a 6-8 strong squad (depending on survivors) that allows you to balance out abilities to suit your needs. So given that we know Liara will be the pure biotic class and that Ash and Kaiden will fill the soldier & hybrid biotic niche (though it looks like they switched Kaiden from sentinel to vanguard) that leaves the engineer and related hybrid classes left to fill. I'll go out on a limb and presume that's where the new character fits in. Either way, there needs to eb a bare minimum of character to allow even my "looser" Shepard who got almost everyone killed should have the bare minimum for an effective squad (seriously, only Jack, Tali, Ash and Liara survived!)

As for the bit about customising the weapons; I could almost swear someone at Bioware read my post because that is exactly what I've been hoping for...well not *exactly* exactly as I also wanted to be able to fiddle with the weapons' colour scheme too. Oh well.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2011, 10:54 AM   #218
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
every single squad mate to date may already be dead one way or another
Except Legion, for obvious reasons.
Old May 12 2011, 02:09 PM   #219
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Yes and no. On the one hand it is a personification of the Geth and thus not a true individual being that can be killed (short of a galaxy-wide cataclysm), on the other, if that platform is destroyed during the suicide mission, it says something to the effect that an attempted upload has failed. I think it's fair to assume means that all of it's stored memories since it's last synch with the Geth are lost. Either way, depending on what Shepard did or didn't do with the heretics, I think all bets are off as to how the Geth may change as a whole in ME3 and even if Legion survives it should also change to reflect that.

Whatever happens, I think it's unlikely that if Legion was lost that the Geth will simply send a new custom mobile platform to join the crew.
Old May 12 2011, 03:12 PM   #220
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Whatever happens, I think it's unlikely that if Legion was lost that the Geth will simply send a new custom mobile platform to join the crew.
You're thinking in terms of character motivation and verisimilitude, which is fine. I'm thinking in practical terms: whether Legion was killed or not, he can be brought back to Shepard's team with just one or two lines of dialogue.
Old May 12 2011, 04:00 PM   #221
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

This is two weeks old, but I didn't see it until last night and found it interesting. It's a series of video interviews that Game Informer did about Mass Effect in general as well as some info on ME3. I'm really excited about Casey Hudson's claim that the game will have climaxes for as many plots as they can fit, not just the Reaper story.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/masseffect3.aspx
Old May 12 2011, 05:34 PM   #222
Skywalker
Admiral

I'm just glad they're going back to a smaller squad after that "dirty dozen" fiasco in ME2.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2011, 07:10 PM   #223
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
You're thinking in terms of character motivation and verisimilitude, which is fine. I'm thinking in practical terms: whether Legion was killed or not, he can be brought back to Shepard's team with just one or two lines of dialogue.
Sure, it's not like with Wrex where they have to make up a stand-in character. Because it's a synthetically generated voice anyway they can just use the same voice actor, with a few alternate lines. How much of an impact that may or may not have depends of course on how big a role he and the Geth in general will play. Personally I think it's more likely he'll be in a similar role as Wrex was in ME2, little more than a cameo as Shep's main go-between.
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
This is two weeks old, but I didn't see it until last night and found it interesting. It's a series of video interviews that Game Informer did about Mass Effect in general as well as some info on ME3. I'm really excited about Casey Hudson's claim that the game will have climaxes for as many plots as they can fit, not just the Reaper story.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/masseffect3.aspx
Interesting stuff. I like how they're continuing to improve on the sound design. The weapon sfx in ME2 were already an massive improvement over the originals'. I may be alone in this but I though the ME1 gunfire sounded oddly flat, muffled and a bit on the quiet side. The sharper reports much better I think and the new dynamic environmental tweaking sounds like it could really enhance the feeling of being in an open or enclosed space.

Also nice to hear that they're working on what quarrians actually look like inside those suits. Personally I'm not sure if I want to see them; there's something to be said for maintaining the mystique. Sort of the old "something terrible scratching at the door" effect. So long as you don't see it, the monster behind the door can be anything, but once you open it and see a 6ft cockroach then they mystery is gone and it least it wasn't a 9ft cockroach. No matter what design they come up with for Tali's face, it's never going to meet everyone's expectations or collective imaginations.
Old May 12 2011, 09:07 PM   #224
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

if that platform is destroyed during the suicide mission, it says something to the effect that an attempted upload has failed
<insert cloud-based savegame storage and/or PSN-is-down joke here>
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 12:50 AM   #225
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

http://www.pcgamer.com/tag/mass-effect-3/

PC Gamer is publishing a series of articles on ME3. The three articles so far (the top three links) are on returning characters, love interests, and how enemy combat will change. They contain some minor spoilers. The largest spoiler is an enemy type that will be showing up, in the "tactical targeting" article. One of the article titles does directly spoil a returning character (though if you didn't see it coming, you're either an idiot or have payed no attention to fan response).

Overall, these articles are short and pretty slim on details. Actually, I find the Bioware people (person?) giving these interviews to be rather repellent. They are probably largely responsible for my negative view of the game so far. That said, these three articles have increased my interest a bit. (/crotchety)
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote