Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 10 2011, 02:08 PM   #16
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

exalted one wrote: View Post
I surely hope they'll hire someone else to do it. Okudas, no matter how much I respect their work, took way too much liberty with original Star Trek. Turning black-on-white clock display into yellow-on-black for no good reason (totally oblivious to the fact black on white is inherently easier to read and thus much more probable to be used in a professional environment)? Making stars tiny, almost invisible in standard definition? Recoloring all the pretty planets for the sake of "realism"? TNG doesn't need no such tampering, does it?

No, they did treat it with a lot of respect, and the creators from the original series who are still alive thought so too. Honestly your examples are so miniscule and ridiculous I laughed out loud when I saw it. If anything they should have done MORE work on the original show, not less...but I am satified the product struck a balance that satisfied most people.

RAMA
Old May 10 2011, 03:18 PM   #17
MrPointy
Commander

Remastered TNG is going to sell bucketloads on any format. I didn't get TOS-R; I never completely got into 60's Trek, but I would buy TNG Bluray in a heartbeat.

I'm hoping that if it does happen, we'll eventually get HD upscales of DS9 and Voyager, not complete remastering because they probably don't need it.
Old May 10 2011, 03:47 PM   #18
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

MrPointy wrote: View Post
Remastered TNG is going to sell bucketloads on any format. I didn't get TOS-R; I never completely got into 60's Trek, but I would buy TNG Bluray in a heartbeat.

I'm hoping that if it does happen, we'll eventually get HD upscales of DS9 and Voyager, not complete remastering because they probably don't need it.
I think Voyager and DS9 would require the same level of time and work as TNG, because I think the editing and FX were pretty much done the same way despite the better quality, and I know many if not all of the CG shots are pretty much lost and would need to be redone from scratch (for the later seasons that used CG).
So since they are all 7 seasons, I'd say they're just as much trouble as TNG to remaster in that way, and neither one is as popular as TNG. It just depends on how long it takes before CBS believes it's worth the investment. And let's see how long it takes them to finish up remastering 7 seasons of TNG. I can't imagine them putting that time into Voyager especially (as much as I love it).
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 03:52 PM   #19
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

I'm highly skeptical about this speculative rumor, for two reasons:
1) Hugely expensive and labor-intensive, as Zaku detailed above;
2) Do Netflix streamers really care about picture quality? Wouldn't they just watch the SD original versions of TNG without complaint?

Doug

PS I hope I'm wrong, and I'll gladly come back here and eat raw Targ (and I'm a vegetarian!) if the rumor is true.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 04:12 PM   #20
Campe98
Commodore

As a Netflix streamer, I do care about picture quality. You can definitely tell the difference between SD and HD even when it streams.

Having said that, I'm excited to see what they can do with this, but I don't think I'll buy this on Blu-Ray. I don't think TNG has aged all that well, at least enough so I don't want to purchase it.
Old May 10 2011, 04:27 PM   #21
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Campe98 wrote: View Post
As a Netflix streamer, I do care about picture quality. You can definitely tell the difference between SD and HD even when it streams.

Having said that, I'm excited to see what they can do with this, but I don't think I'll buy this on Blu-Ray. I don't think TNG has aged all that well, at least enough so I don't want to purchase it.
I'm a Netflix user as well and I can tell a huge difference between SD and HD content.

As far as repurchasing TNG, I'll just have to wait and see. It would have to be a massive upgrade in picture quality and effects to get me to shell out more money on the series.
Old May 10 2011, 04:29 PM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

This is AWESOME news.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 06:08 PM   #23
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
I'm highly skeptical about this speculative rumor, for two reasons:
1) Hugely expensive and labor-intensive, as Zaku detailed above;
2) Do Netflix streamers really care about picture quality? Wouldn't they just watch the SD original versions of TNG without complaint?

Doug

PS I hope I'm wrong, and I'll gladly come back here and eat raw Targ (and I'm a vegetarian!) if the rumor is true.
Its not a "done deal" but it does have a sense of truth about it.

Also, STNG made a huge amount of money for Paramount/CBS...all they have to do is advertise it with lots of new "stuff" to make it appear like a new purchase.

RAMA
Old May 10 2011, 06:33 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ All they need is to say "You won't have to see that same damn shot with the Excelsior-class ship every single episode!" and they're guaranteed victory.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 06:59 PM   #25
Dukhat
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ All they need is to say "You won't have to see that same damn shot with the Excelsior-class ship every single episode!" and they're guaranteed victory.
Here, here! Okudas. here's your chance to start designing some of those conjectural class ships like the Rigel and Apollo, and insert them whenever you used to see an Excelsior.

Actually, if this rumor is true (and unfortunately, being the pessimist I am, I doubt it), then the episode they need to re-FX first is BoBW. Imagine seeing the aftermath of the Wolf 359 battle in HD with brand-new ships! They could actually have forty ships instead of the six or seven they originally had.
Old May 10 2011, 07:20 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Here, here! Okudas. here's your chance to start designing some of those conjectural class ships like the Rigel and Apollo, and insert them whenever you used to see an Excelsior.

Actually, if this rumor is true (and unfortunately, being the pessimist I am, I doubt it), then the episode they need to re-FX first is BoBW. Imagine seeing the aftermath of the Wolf 359 battle in HD with brand-new ships! They could actually have forty ships instead of the six or seven they originally had.
Isn't that where the TOS-R team got into trouble though? Trying to remake a classic (Balance of Terror) to relaunch the series without first working out the kinks.

Just start with Encounter at Farpoint and go from there.
Old May 10 2011, 07:39 PM   #27
Admiral Bear
Captain

Really hope this happens, although HD in pan & scan is kind of an unwanted novelty these days, being so used to 2:35:1 and the other widscreen ratios.

AFAIK, DS9 and Voyager will never happen on Blu-ray as they were shot straight on to video. There are no HD film masters to clean up and transfer.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 08:16 PM   #28
JJohnson
Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
exalted one wrote: View Post
I surely hope they'll hire someone else to do it. Okudas, no matter how much I respect their work, took way too much liberty with original Star Trek. Turning black-on-white clock display into yellow-on-black for no good reason (totally oblivious to the fact black on white is inherently easier to read and thus much more probable to be used in a professional environment)? Making stars tiny, almost invisible in standard definition? Recoloring all the pretty planets for the sake of "realism"? TNG doesn't need no such tampering, does it?

No, they did treat it with a lot of respect, and the creators from the original series who are still alive thought so too. Honestly your examples are so miniscule and ridiculous I laughed out loud when I saw it. If anything they should have done MORE work on the original show, not less...but I am satified the product struck a balance that satisfied most people.

RAMA
I'm a bit annoyed to this day that they didn't re-do all the planet skies to look like more than just dinky colored backdrops. Putting in clouds, the occasional bird or bird-like creature, a sun, a moon or three, that would've gone a long way to help the show look better, as well as taking all the upper displays on the bridge and actually animating them so they don't look like little more than portraits.

For TNG, I hope they redo all the FX, especially the planets, and create a few alternative ship flyby shots instead of that one off-angle, through-the-neck view that they over-used.

TNG-R can't come soon enough!
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 08:20 PM   #29
JJohnson
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Campe98 wrote: View Post

I'm a Netflix user as well and I can tell a huge difference between SD and HD content.

As far as repurchasing TNG, I'll just have to wait and see. It would have to be a massive upgrade in picture quality and effects to get me to shell out more money on the series.
I would agree. I didn't buy it originally due to the exorbitant prices originally asked for the DVD sets (over $100 if I remember right) when other sets were either $40-50 at the time. Even on blu-ray, I would hope it's under $60 for the set.

For TNG-R, I would expect at least the same treatment as the original series got, and hopefully they can make the LCARS look more 'alive' rather than the half-way 'inserted over video' look it has at times.
Old May 10 2011, 08:21 PM   #30
JJohnson
Captain

Or the same two shots of the Enterprise D (through the neck, and planet orbit)...