Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What grade do you give THOR?
A+ 25 12.25%
A 48 23.53%
A- 49 24.02%
B+ 33 16.18%
B 24 11.76%
B- 9 4.41%
C+ 5 2.45%
C 6 2.94%
C- 1 0.49%
D+ 0 0%
D 2 0.98%
D- 0 0%
F 2 0.98%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8 2011, 04:50 PM   #211
Rulius
Fleet Captain

View Rulius's Twitter Profile
Re: THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

<<The Eye of Agamotto in the Odin vault? Dr.Strange tease it seems.
I heard the Infinity Gauntlet is there but missed it both times.
The Cosmic Cube in the post credits is a fanboy only moment obviously. Drilled home by the fact that unlike Thor's hammer in IM2 or Tony Stark in TIH I had to explain to both sets of people just what it was they were being shown>>

I saw that and wondered if that was the Eye but figured what would it be doing in Asgard..I have to admit I know what a Comsic cube is but didn't realize that's what it was in the end..and was Loki possessing the researcher?
Old May 8 2011, 05:29 PM   #212
flemm
Fleet Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I'd bet many, many people thought it referred to the former Karate Kid.
Yeah, probably.

And, indeed, he is truly an inspiration to us all
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 06:50 PM   #213
Anwar
Vice Admiral

When I watched this yesterday, I assumed the Frost Giant's weapon was supposed to be the Cosmic Cube. I didn't realize it was the Casket of Winter (or whatever it's called), I had to remind myself it was Colm Feore under that awesome makeup job.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 07:14 PM   #214
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Of all of the Marvel characters who have hit the screen thus far (either in productions by Marvel directly or in productions by other studios/distribution companies), Thor is the one with whom I'm the least familiar, but I enjoyed the film almost as much as I enjoy the first two X-Men movies, Spider-Man 2, and DC's Batman films, which says a lot both about my individual tastes as well as about the quality of the film, since it was able to appeal to me in general terms given my lack of familiarity with the characters and concepts associated with it.

People have been questioning whether or not the film made Jane and Thor's relationship move too fast, but that kiss before he goes back to Asgard is clearly mean to be a spontaneous choice/action on the part of both parties involved, and is played as such by both Hemsworth and Portman. It's a step in the evolution of their relationship, not the culmination/defining moment of it, especially given that they are separated from one another (even temporarily) by Thor's actions in stopping Loki's plans.

Edit: I also thought that the Frost Giants' weapon was the Cosmic Cube.
Old May 8 2011, 08:22 PM   #215
the G-man
Commodore

Overall, I liked it. Good action in the scenes on Asgard and battling the frost giants. Same with the battle between Thor and the Destroyer. It was nice to see a Superman-level character in a movie do something other than lift things and stalk his ex.

More CGI than I prefer but that's to be expected these days.

Most of the actors were good. The one exception: Kat Dennings' character was too annoying, especially the way she wore baggy loose fitting tops throughout the movie. Also, while I realize it was necessitated by the plot, there was nothing in the movie to explain why Thor would be interested in Foster and not (as often the case in the comics) Sif.

Enjoyed some of the subtle nods to Marvel history: the mention of a Gamma-ray expert who got involved with SHIELD and was never seen again, the SHIELD agent assuming the Destroyer was "one of Stark's" inventions, calling Thor "Don" as a fake name to SHIELD, etc.

The post-credits scene with Fury was the weakest one of the series so far, but I guess that's going to be expected since they've now lined up everything except Cap for the Avengers movie.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 08:32 PM   #216
the G-man
Commodore

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I don't think this is a spoiler, but, does anyone have an idea who the professor emailed? they were able to provide a GREAT deal of help...
My first guess was Stark but a number of websites are reporting the original script mentioned it was "Dr. Pym," meaning Ant Man/Yellowjacket.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 09:19 PM   #217
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

I didn't find the movie all that good actually. I suppose my main compliant would be pacing, poor acting, and missing plot points.
Old May 8 2011, 09:26 PM   #218
T'Baio
Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
The one exception: Kat Dennings' character was too annoying, especially the way she wore baggy loose fitting tops throughout the movie.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 09:32 PM   #219
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Most of the actors were good. The one exception: Kat Dennings' character was too annoying, especially the way she wore baggy loose fitting tops throughout the movie. Also, while I realize it was necessitated by the plot, there was nothing in the movie to explain why Thor would be interested in Foster and not (as often the case in the comics) Sif.
I thought she was fine although I do wonder why he wouldn't be interested in her.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 10:57 PM   #220
JD
Admiral

I saw it this morning and I loved it. I don't really see where the Thor/Jane relationship was to quick, IMO it didn't even really reach the level of a relationship, it was pretty much just a mutual attraction up until the kiss. And I don't think the change in Thor was too abrupt like some people said, I really think not being able to lift Mjolnir really made him rethink his behavior. I think my favorite part of the movie were the The Warriors Three and Sif, and Heimdall, they were awesome.
EDIT: Voted A+
Old May 8 2011, 11:38 PM   #221
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I was also kind of disappointed that they cut Jane's "Holy Shatner!" line that was in the leaked script! I thought that was a great line. She says it when the spatial rift appears in the sky. Regarding Kat Dennings...to me Darcy was a non-entity. Designed to be comedic fodder and nothing more. I felt like she didn't provide anything to the story or characters. She had more lines in the leaked script so I was pleasantly surprised that she was toned down considerably in the actual film.

The Eye of Agamotto (if that is indeed what it was) and the Infinity Gauntlet were in Odin's treasure chamber. I caught the Eye but didn't see the IG. It was heavily rumored prior to the film's release that Thaos would be a Frost Giant but that doesn't seem to have been the case. Seeing the cosmic cube at the post-credit sequence was just a big fan moment for me. I marked out big time for it. Hawkeye's cameo was great in my opinion. That's how you tease!

Thor collected $66 million at the box office. Not too bad.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; May 9 2011 at 04:33 AM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 12:03 AM   #222
T'Baio
Admiral

I actually thought Hawkeye was a bit of a weak moment.

Don't get me wrong, I love the film and love the idea of getting Hawkeye in there. But it was so awkwardly integrated, it was so incredibly obvious his shots were after the fact inserts, and his dialogue was so removed from what the other characters were doing. It screamed "give Hawkeye something cool to say" without first thinking whether they had Coulson reaction shots that were appropriate. And the insert of the reach for the rifle, then the mind change to the bow...ugh. So awkward. It was pretty obvious to me that Branagh had nothing to do with those shots.

Just a minor annoyance in an otherwise great film, though.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 12:26 AM   #223
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I was also kind of disappointed that they cut Jane's "Holy Shatner!" line that was in the leaked script!
I was disappointed that we didn't get a "I say thee nay!" line.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 01:37 AM   #224
royalfan5
Fleet Captain

I gave it a B. I was solidly entertained, but I'm not a huge comic book guy, so there's a lot of stuff that I'm either not hip to, or isn't going to upset me. I will forgive Kat Dennings in any role, so I guess I can't complain about that. I kept wondering if they reused the New Mexico sets from the last Indiana Jones movie.
Old May 9 2011, 01:59 AM   #225
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I didn't notice any missing plot points in the sense that something important to the story was left out. The script is a thoroughly professional job of work. The proceedings are all too predictable, but that's not so much a failure of craft as, at this point, a too-common failing of the genre.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote