RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 562
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode:
Superman (Excellent) 4 16.00%
The Blur (Good) 8 32.00%
Clark Kent (Average) 6 24.00%
Kal (Bad) 2 8.00%
Supermope (Terrible) 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2011, 02:32 PM   #226
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Re: Smallville: T-1: 10x20 "Prophecy" - Discussion and Spoilers

Hey, Pro, I did think about another film Smallville ripped off last night. The only thing about water rights reminded me a lot of the last Bond film Quantum of Suckatude.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 03:27 PM   #227
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
They had an episode like this in Lois & Clark the New Adventures of Superman, where Lois got his powers, when she knew who he was and all and were together.

More trivia. The very last episode of the old George Reeves tv show featured a dream sequence in which Lois gained Superman's powers!

I guess you can't do a Superman tv show without giving Lois powers at some point!

And, of course, the comics have been doing it since at least 1947! (I confess: I once tried to sell a "Super-Lois" story myself.)

The science thing doesn't bug me. After all, this is based on a comic book in which people shoot heat rays from their eyes and red kryptonite can turn Superman into a giant ant on occasion.

I don't think anyone expects SUPERMAN to be hard science!

Last edited by Greg Cox; May 7 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 04:44 PM   #228
Agent Richard07
Admiral

-This episode felt like more filler and wheel-spinning.

- Too bad we didn't get to see Supergirl, but having Laura Vandervoort back was nice. I say "too bad we didn't get to see Supergirl" because she came off more as a random blond guest star than anyone of significance. ...like Supergirl. Okay, she had the floating and the red and blue at the end, but still, the bulk of the episode was "Laura Vandervoort", not Kara/Supergirl.

- Toyman recognized Clark right away because he already knew him, and so will everyone else who already knew Clark. Can't wait to see Lex's interaction with Supes next week.

Procutus wrote: View Post
Seriously, we won't see him in that frakkin' suit until the final 30, no, 15 seconds of the finale. Right before the credits.
Probably. It would have been nice to see Smallville's finale resemble a Superman TV movie, but given the show's track record and a possible embargo on using too much Superman, I an accept the possibility that we won't see much of him. It would be a nice if they did surprise us though with Clark putting on the suit at the very beginning. That would be a real "whoa!" moment.

I don't like how easily his powers can be removed and exchanged in Smallville.
I don't like it either. Not much to add to the discussion, but Proc does raise an interesting point about this later on which I'll address.

Then Clark will hold the suit in his hands and stare at it with that patented blank look of his, as if to say, 'What am I supposed to do with this?'
At least he stared at it this episode.

OH GOOD, glasses, yay

OH CRAP, he took em off within 5 seconds.....
With the raincoat, he looked like Supernatural's Castiel with glasses.

Didn't notice him take them off, but I did think he looked a bit dorky in them. I could see why they weren't used regularly.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I'm hoping Clark gets beat up by some hick in a diner.
That would have been a nice touch if they could have worked it in.

Another thing... Smallville's Clark isn't as shaken as Reeve's Clark was without his powers. Probably because he's used to losing them every now and then.

Don't tell me Lois is going to fly before Clark lol, wouldn't that be the icing on the cake
I thought she was going to fly as well when she got up on the desk.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
TV producers/costumers are aware there's other types of glasses than the horn-rimmed style, right?
Yeah, but most glasses these days are so thin and streamlined that they're pretty much useless as a way to significantly alter someone's appearance. If I wanted to hide behind glasses, I'd get the thickest-rimmed ones I could find.

I've got to admit, I'm with Brent on this whole endowing human's with superpowers, even though I know it's been done in the comics. It should be based on a Kryptonian's DNA, not something you can swap around at will.

Not to mention that human beings aren't hardwired for that type of physical stress - Lo's DNA is what it is, so she shouldn't have bullet-proof skin and that much running around at speeds like that should've caused her heart to explode or something.

The only time this kind of exchange was done with consequences was with Jonathan.
Yeah. This is the point I was referring to above. I guess we can say that powers would eventually have an effect on all humans. For me, this helps make the transfer less trivial.

I like how Jor-El is so overbearing and controlling.

Not
I did take note of how different the Jor-El AI is from Julian Sands' character.

highlander wrote: View Post
The Aquaman fan in me loved the Black Manta reference.
Loved that too.

I can't believe this is the best they could come up with at this point in the season/series.
I hope they're saving the good stuff for last.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Any other time Clark's powers have been transfered to someone else they get his weaknesses as well.
I remember an instance or two where the human taking on Clark's powers didn't have the kryptonite weakness.

Looks like the Returns suit up there in the ice crystals.
Don't like the \S/, it's too small.

timothy wrote: View Post
do you think there will be a spin off and if so will get it?
Like a Superman spinoff?

Well there we go, Kara is off to the future to join the future justice league

I will miss her
She'll be back.

The ending was crap, Lois breaking up with Clark, you know they are going to get married and destined to be together, there is no tension, that was pointless.
I was well into the scene before I remembered that they were together in the future.

highlander wrote: View Post
Great episode I gave it an excellent. Putting Black Manta in even for a second was awesome.
Did we actually see him? Or was he only mentioned?

Electric Coleslaw wrote: View Post
She had to endure the cries for help that he does on a daily basis. So now she understands that while he's with her, someone is always in trouble and needs his help. So she's setting him free. This is big. And in a way it sets up how Superman needs his Clark Kent identity because he can't be Superman 24/7.
I did like that this issue was addressed, in that it provided some good drama. What do you do when you can save a lot of people and don't because you need some time on the couch? The simple answer? Don't tell anyone you can save a lot of people so that they won't hound you to "get out there". And what do you do if you're in Lois' situation? Don't know. It is a problem now though, and I can't wait to see how it's resolved. I suspect it'll be done through some sort of vague rationalizing by Lois as she makes up with Clark.

DarKush wrote: View Post
As it stands, I sort of like what they are trying to do with Darkseid, but I think its' beyond their capacity to portray well.
I spent most of the season wanting to see Darkseid, but I was just thinking that a big hulking villain might have been a bit "out there" for a teen drama.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 08:20 PM   #229
sojourner
Vice Admiral

So, for the finale it looks like we will have Lionel, Lex, Darkseid, and maybe the legion of doom. Well do we have enough villains to muddy the waters?
Old May 7 2011, 09:51 PM   #230
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ That's only if Brian and Kelly remembered the U-Lionel thing when they sat down to write the finale lololol. As for Lex, I don't think he's going to be part of the Darkseid thing. I have a feeling he shows up after the wedding.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 01:15 AM   #231
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

^do you think they will have lex wearing green and purple like his armor?
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 01:26 AM   #232
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ No they've release screen caps. He's wearing his white suit and black glove.

Old May 8 2011, 09:10 PM   #233
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: AgentRichard007,

I don't think fans were too put off by Doomsday on Smallville, granted he came mostly in the package of Sam Witwer. The way I was envisioning Darkseid was something along the lines of the Darkside Club storyline in DC comics a couple years back. I think they called him "Boss Darkside". So he would look human for the most part, or be inhabitating a human vessel.

Besides Tony Todd or Michael Clarke Duncan, Christopher Judge might've been another good choice.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 09:28 PM   #234
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Doomsday worked because of the performance of Sam Witwer. He puts his best into whatever role he's doing. The disappointment was in the sixty-second "epic" battle between Clark and DD.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 11:55 PM   #235
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

@Dar Kush I was originally stating that the writers were attempting to do their own adaption of Final Crisis. That doesn't look like the case at all now lol. It would have been cool if they did do something like that.

Old May 9 2011, 01:13 AM   #236
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I can't compute how wrong this episode was.

Everyone was a chump.

Except Granny Goodness.

She was in charge of her own story, while every one else was just a rube.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 02:47 AM   #237
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

DarKush wrote: View Post
Re: AgentRichard007,

I don't think fans were too put off by Doomsday on Smallville, granted he came mostly in the package of Sam Witwer. The way I was envisioning Darkseid was something along the lines of the Darkside Club storyline in DC comics a couple years back. I think they called him "Boss Darkside". So he would look human for the most part, or be inhabitating a human vessel.

Besides Tony Todd or Michael Clarke Duncan, Christopher Judge might've been another good choice.
Personality I wish we didn't know he was Doomsday until the big reveal. Imagine how cool that would have been! It's really basic 101 of storytelling "Don't show your hand too early" and they ignored it. Oh well
Old May 9 2011, 03:03 AM   #238
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
So, for the finale it looks like we will have Lionel, Lex, Darkseid, and maybe the legion of doom. Well do we have enough villains to muddy the waters?

I suspect the Legion of Doom thing was just an Easter Egg, giving us just a taste of the kind of supervillains Clark will have to fight when he becomes Superman. I doubt they'll figure into the finale.
Old May 9 2011, 05:00 AM   #239
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ That's exactly what they were. The finale cast has been set for months except for who is voicing Darkseid if anyone. There were rumors that TNA wrestler Matt Morgan was hired to play Darkseid but that was never confirmed. There were also rumors that Michael Ironside recorded some lines but those weren't confirmed. For the most part the finale is an unknown.

Old May 9 2011, 05:41 AM   #240
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

So he would have played General Sam Lane and voiced Darkseid? I wonder if they would have altered it enough to avoid any confusion.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote