Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What grade do you give THOR?
A+ 25 12.25%
A 48 23.53%
A- 49 24.02%
B+ 33 16.18%
B 24 11.76%
B- 9 4.41%
C+ 5 2.45%
C 6 2.94%
C- 1 0.49%
D+ 0 0%
D 2 0.98%
D- 0 0%
F 2 0.98%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2011, 12:56 AM   #136
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

I enjoyed it. I found it in 2-D so I was happy I didn't have to be disappointed with another 3-D movie (Tron Legacy I'm thinking of you). I enjoyed it. It exceeded my expectations. Hemsworth made for a great Thor. I also liked the rest of the cast.

The Asgardian costumes weren't as garish as they had appeared in the trailer and I loved the FX for the frost giants. I did think they could've put a better fatsuit on Ray Stevenson. I didn't even recognize him at first. I think Loki's motivations toward the end were a little Shinzony for me, however, love/devotion makes one irrational. I wish the fight scenes with the giants had been filmed a little better. It was hard to follow the action at times and it was shot so dimly. The fight with the Destroyer was better done.

There's a nice Avengers cameo and please stay after the credits roll. After Avengers I wonder what they will do with Thor. I think this movie has established that Hemsworth is up to the task. But I can't think of many Thor villains, outside of Loki. Of course he could come back though I wouldn't mind seeing someone else.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 01:04 AM   #137
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
There's a nice Avengers cameo and please stay after the credits roll. After Avengers I wonder what they will do with Thor. I think this movie has established that Hemsworth is up to the task. But I can't think of many Thor villains, outside of Loki. Of course he could come back though I wouldn't mind seeing someone else.
They could always use Surtur, or the Enchantress. I suppose it would be foolish of me to hope for EGO the LIVING PLANET! (first appeared as a Thor villain...)

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 01:04 AM   #138
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

two quick questions one do we need to stay after the credits for this? and the other I know it just came out but when can we expect it blu ray or dvd?
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 01:07 AM   #139
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

timothy wrote: View Post
two quick questions one do we need to stay after the credits for this? and the other I know it just came out but when can we expect it blu ray or dvd?

DarKush just answered your first question: yes.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 01:14 AM   #140
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

A-
A little light on the action in the middle, but otherwise excellent.
Old May 7 2011, 01:26 AM   #141
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

read a little to fast did'nt see it thanks for that and what about my second question. any ideas? I know it's a little early.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 02:21 AM   #142
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I'll be seeing it Sunday night hopefully, and thankfully in 2D.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 02:53 AM   #143
Dream
Admiral

"I need a HORSE!"

Great movie. The cast was excellent, the standouts were Hemsworth as Thor and Hiddelston as Loki. I like how Asgard and Jotunheim were deplicted as well as how the frost giants were done. There was a nice story and plenty of humor which was important.

The only thing that I think could have better was Portman. The girl didn't realize that she was in a comic book movie and was playing the part way too seriously. She needed to have more fun. Too bad Kat Dennings couldn't have played the love interest. I was shocked as hell when I read that Rene Russo played Odin's wife.

I gave it a B.

Early estimates are in, and it looks like THOR will be making plenty of money this weekend.

Last edited by Dream; May 7 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 03:08 AM   #144
T'Baio
Admiral

I just saw it and loved it. I gave it an A.

It really harkened back to Superman: The Movie and Superman II for me. The same...verisimilitude. I thought it was great all around, the humour worked, performances were great, awesome score, intertwined into the "reality" of the world created in the Iron Man films perfectly...I loved it.

And the final moments in the film, especially the very last comments by Thor and Heimdall...actually really emotional.

Best Marvel movie since Iron Man. And I am genuinely surprised by that. Huge congrats to Kenneth Branagh for taking the hardest to translate into the cinematic universe and really making it work.

Going again soon.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 03:45 AM   #145
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Just saw it and really liked. Great casting all round. I saw it in 3D and have to say it pretty much added nothing to the movie. I would have preferred to have seen it in 2D and gotten the better colour and brightness that comes along with it. And as others have said, the action scenes were adversely affected by the 3D.

Don't get me wrong, I do like 3D and think it has it's place, I just didn't see it in this movie. I gave it an A-
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 04:04 AM   #146
Dream
Admiral

Argh, I despise 3D. I probably would have wanted weeks for 2D if it hadn't been an option the first day.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 04:31 AM   #147
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@timothy you can most likely expect "Thor" on DVD around Christmas time...probably a little sooner than that. Maybe November or late Oct.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 05:02 AM   #148
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The 3D in this movie was "meh". It wasn't filmed with 3D conversion in mind and it shows. The only places it stands out is in the Asgard sequences.

Captain America, on the other hand, was filmed with 3D conversion in mind and I got more out of the 3D in the Cap trailer than in the entire Thor movie. Seriously, at one point during the Cap trailer, I jumped in my seat when it seemed as if Cap's shield was about to hit me in the face.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; May 7 2011 at 05:14 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 05:11 AM   #149
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

A.
Old May 7 2011, 05:45 AM   #150
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

A-

Just got back from it and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a fun movie with a lot of action and Asgard provides a large canvas. Definitely wipes the bad taste of Iron Man 2 out of my mouth.

I thought the acting of the main four was excellent. Even though it was just an act, I thought the Hiddleston managed to make Loki a sympathetic character. The Loki/Thor/Odin interaction is strong and convincingly emotional. Hemsworth has an impressive physical presence for Thor and was funny without being stupid. Although his banishment doesn't last long, I bought Thor's change. Anthony Hopkins was excellent and managed to not chew too much scenary. Did not know that was Rene Russo as Thor's mom until I read the credits. I liked the Warriors Three although I agree they could have given Ray Stevenson a much bigger fatsuit. That character is supposed to be REALLY fat.

Although I liked the Marvel Universe references in Iron Man 2, I think Thor did a better job of working them in here. Although it didn't have to be in there, I liked Hawkeye's cameo. Nice inside jokes with Donald Blake and Stan Lee's cameo. I found the idea of guys getting drunk and having barbacues while trying to lift Thor's hammer to be hysterical because I imagine that's just what guys would be trying to do.

All and all, a very good start to the summer movie season.

Issues...I thought the final battle scene was a little underwhelming. I thought that it needed something a little more epic I guess. Thor quickly wins his fight on Earth and then it's the fight against Loki. Just thought it needed to be more grand to fit the story and setting. I also agree with an earlier poster who said that a lot of story elements here are resolved too easily.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot to talk about the 3D. If I had a choice, I wouldn't have seen it in 3D. Not only is it expensive but the studios desire to cash in on the "craze" has caused some lousy conversions from 2D to 3D. The 3D in Thor had its moments and was a lot better 3D than it was in Tron Legacy and The Green Hornet. But if you're going to do a 3D movie, then SHOOT THE DAMN MOVIE IN 3D!!! I'm very worried about having to get stuck watching the last Harry Potter in 3D.

Last edited by DarthPipes; May 7 2011 at 06:04 AM.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote