To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 6 2011, 09:52 PM   #76
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

I think the "next generation" of game consoles will likely not do anything revolutionary, the way the PS3 was a huge technical leap over the PS2. They'll probably take what they have now and just make it bigger and faster. Faster CPU, more RAM, more disk space, better GPU.

Honestly, I don't understand why Sony took the approach they did for the PS3. Sure, it was better than anything else out there when it was launched--but by the time most people could afford it, it had already been eclipsed by commodity PC specs.

Even so, I don't expect Sony and Microsoft to come out with new consoles for a couple more years yet.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2011, 10:11 PM   #77
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I guess they were betting the farm on "A Blu-ray player for less than $1000!", which is really shortsighted.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2011, 11:01 PM   #78
Vance
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Honestly, I don't understand why Sony took the approach they did for the PS3.
Pushing the BluRay was part of the equation, it was a way for Sony to edge out the inferior HD-DVD format (much like how the PS2 pushed out the DIVX format). By getting it started, they created and expanded their own broader market... and, let's face it, it worked.

(Thanks in no small part to MS half-assing the HD-DVD format and Toshiba wanting high-royalties on each printed HD-DVD disc.)

Sure, it was better than anything else out there when it was launched--but by the time most people could afford it, it had already been eclipsed by commodity PC specs.
The other half of the equation was the XBox's rising success since it was more powerful than the PS2. Both companies really started to push one-another to get thier 'next gen' system out, well before they really needed to.

Keep in mind, though, that the Great Recession of 2009-Current was still a few years off and the new hi-def discs, players, and televisions were the major purchases for that year. At the time, both the X360 and PS3 were sold to the 'phile' market, not so much to the regular gamer. (Which is why the Wii trounced them both for a long time.)

Even so, I don't expect Sony and Microsoft to come out with new consoles for a couple more years yet.
Sony has no plans for an outright new console, but higher specs are possible with the next batch of systems. Microsoft is on record as saying BOTH that a new console is coming soon, and no there isn't...
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 02:52 AM   #79
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I guess they were betting the farm on "A Blu-ray player for less than $1000!", which is really shortsighted.
Bingo.

The PS3 killed HD DVD off, so they won the format war.
Old May 9 2011, 12:35 AM   #80
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

T.Geiger wrote: View Post
Be ready to walkaway from any given game if its not really working for you
I have, don't worry.

In fact the same mate confiscated his copy of Chronotrigger when I had only half finished it a few weeks after being given it to play.

Copies of Grand Theft Auto are thankfully cheap. Checking around on Ebay, many games made for multiple platforms are much cheaper on the PS2. I might get a chance to play a few games I never got round to on my GC.

I'd considered getting a Wii when they fell enough in price, but I just don't have the time and money any more. If I pick up a Wii now, it'll be the first time I picked up a Nintendo console after it became defunct, and not before.
Old May 9 2011, 08:57 PM   #81
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is by far my favorite Gamecube game. I love, love, LOVE this game. Not only is it visually beautiful, but the story is great, the controls are great, and the gameplay is just so much fun and just the perfect amount of difficulty.

The Simpsons: Hit and Run is also a fun game to have around. It really is a Simpsons-themed Grand Theft Auto. It's something you can play a little here and there without having to set a lot of time aside for it. Super Smash Bros. Melee is another game like this, and one that is especially fun when playing with a group of people.

I know I've played Eternal Darkness but I must not have thought it was that awesome, because I can't seem to remember anything about it. I played the Lego Star Wars games on the Gamecube and really enjoyed them. I also liked Star Fox Adventures.

Finally, I would suggest picking up a copy of Luigi's Mansion if you can find it for cheap. You probably can because I believe it was bundled with the console for a while. It is a Mario type adventure game that stars, obviously, Luigi instead. He travels through a haunted mansion using his vacuum to suck up ghosts. It's a strange but fun take on that type of game.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 08:34 PM   #82
zarkon
Captain

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is by far my favorite Gamecube game. I love, love, LOVE this game. Not only is it visually beautiful, but the story is great, the controls are great, and the gameplay is just so much fun and just the perfect amount of difficulty.
The wrestling chapter cracked me up. Amazing game.