RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,732
Posts: 5,432,762
Members: 24,836
Currently online: 457
Newest member: crazycornuts

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 24 2011, 07:22 PM   #61
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain
 
BlobVanDam's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

I just played Sonic 2 on a PS2 compilation disc today. I've played the game a million times on my PC emulated, but it just feels so much better to be playing it on a TV sitting on a couch with other people watching. Even though the emulation on the PS2 version sucked, it was still more fun than playing it on a computer screen.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 03:39 PM   #62
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

Try Sonic CD though, if you have the Gems Collection for it as well, even tougher to get used to console wise if you've only played its PC/emu form.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 03:51 PM   #63
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain
 
BlobVanDam's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

How is Sonic CD different compared to the other Sonics? Every time I try to play it I am reminded of how bad it is and give up, so I don't know what you're referring to specifically.
But I have a good gamepad for my PC, so it's not usually a problem, although like every other gamepad in the world mine has the 4 button diamond layout like the emulated console versions would, not the 6 of the Mega Drive.

And unfortunately this was just a SEGA collection, not one of the million Sonic collections, so the only Sonic games it has are Sonic 1 and 2. Hopefully they've fixed the emulation in the Sonic collections, because the sound is garbage for this collection. The sampled audio intro is choppy, and the Mega Drive PSG chip is emulated so poorly that half of the sound effects just sound completely wrong, just like on the worse emulators.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 05:25 PM   #64
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

Someone who doesn't like F-Zero GX?!?!

A sad day in the world.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 01:36 PM   #65
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

BlobVanDam wrote: View Post
How is Sonic CD different compared to the other Sonics? Every time I try to play it I am reminded of how bad it is and give up, so I don't know what you're referring to specifically.
But I have a good gamepad for my PC, so it's not usually a problem, although like every other gamepad in the world mine has the 4 button diamond layout like the emulated console versions would, not the 6 of the Mega Drive.
Its the choppy-ness that makes it annoying, on an actual console the game runs slightly smoother but the game engine is still crappy, Sonic tends to never go where you want him to, its very frustrating.
Sonic 1, 2 and 3K run much better on consoles, even the DS collection version is nice and smooth.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 04:56 AM   #66
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain
 
BlobVanDam's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
BlobVanDam wrote: View Post
How is Sonic CD different compared to the other Sonics? Every time I try to play it I am reminded of how bad it is and give up, so I don't know what you're referring to specifically.
But I have a good gamepad for my PC, so it's not usually a problem, although like every other gamepad in the world mine has the 4 button diamond layout like the emulated console versions would, not the 6 of the Mega Drive.
Its the choppy-ness that makes it annoying, on an actual console the game runs slightly smoother but the game engine is still crappy, Sonic tends to never go where you want him to, its very frustrating.
Sonic 1, 2 and 3K run much better on consoles, even the DS collection version is nice and smooth.
I actually found the DS versions to be slightly choppy. Not unplayably so, but enough for me to notice.
And I didn't think of it at the time, but I think the PS2 Sonics I played were running at 60fps, so NTSC versions rather than the PAL ones at 50fps. I always played the PAL one on the console of course, but after playing it emulated for so long at full speed 60fps, I can't play the PAL version anymore. It's just slooooow.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 05:07 AM   #67
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: Equestria
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Someone who doesn't like F-Zero GX?!?!

A sad day in the world.
Yep. Just didn't appeal to me. My little niece loves it, though.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2011, 12:37 AM   #68
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral
 
The Squire of Gothos's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ireland
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

A mate of mine keeps throwing Japanese RPGs at me for my DS (tells me I must play Final Fantasy before I die) and now I'm in receipt of his PS2 and the promise of more turn based fantasy combat
__________________
The Squire of Gothos
The Squire of Gothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2011, 01:32 AM   #69
Vance
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post
A mate of mine keeps throwing Japanese RPGs at me for my DS (tells me I must play Final Fantasy before I die) and now I'm in receipt of his PS2 and the promise of more turn based fantasy combat
You're just getting a PS2 and will get a bunch of PS2 jRPGs thrown at you? Dear, God, we'll never see you again..
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2011, 03:56 AM   #70
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post
I'm in receipt of his PS2 and the promise of more turn based fantasy combat
Be ready to walkaway from any given game if its not really working for you. While there are more than a few worth playing, JRPGs (and Japanese games in general) began their decline during the PS2 era. Its so bad now, I can firmly say I have only played one good JRPG in this console generation, and even it was over-burdened with all its little mini-systems and whatever else.
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2011, 09:11 PM   #71
zarkon
Captain
 
zarkon's Avatar
 
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

I dunno, I've played quite a lot of good rpgs this gen.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Radiant Historia, Tales of Vesperia and The World Ends With You immediately spring to mind.
__________________
In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge.
zarkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2011, 02:29 AM   #72
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

Vesperia was the one.

Still, the primary point was about the decline. Even the Japanese developers recognize it, but they seem to think its because of changing trends and cultural drift. They're all still crapping out gems that everyone should love.

(Hint to Japanese developers: That ain't it.)
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2011, 07:51 AM   #73
zarkon
Captain
 
zarkon's Avatar
 
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

I don't think creativity has taken a decline per se, I think there is an element of not being willing to take risks on the few big budget HD rpgs we do get which results in them being pretty generic. Some developers stuck pretty exclusively to the PS2 until only a couple of years ago, and then have all but moved to handheld because of the staggering dev costs in coding HD games.

Companies like atlus, nippon ichi and sting are still pushing out new concepts on the psp & ds, where the dev costs are a lot lower and the occasional failure can be absorbed.
__________________
In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge.
zarkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2011, 10:00 AM   #74
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral
 
Rincewiend's Avatar
 
Location: .eu / .nl
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post
A mate of mine keeps throwing Japanese RPGs at me for my DS (tells me I must play Final Fantasy before I die) and now I'm in receipt of his PS2 and the promise of more turn based fantasy combat
Including Disgaea?!?
__________________
Don't trust atoms, they make up everything!
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2011, 09:47 PM   #75
Vance
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

zarkon wrote: View Post
I don't think creativity has taken a decline per se, I think there is an element of not being willing to take risks on the few big budget HD rpgs we do get which results in them being pretty generic.
I think the most telling statement was from SEGA about the future of their RPG efforts on the big consoles. Effectively, they said, development costs for quality had gotten so high with the PS3 and X360 that they couldn't make any money on the platforms for an RPG. They're now relying more on the DSi and PSP.

It's actually one reason that I think we're really a long way off from another generation of hardware. Developers can't afford to 'max-use' the hardware that's available now. What's the point in upping the specs, costs, and difficulty even more?
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
console, gamecube, nintendo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.