Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 2 2011, 08:22 PM   #796
Jadzia
on holiday

Re: Minecraft

I don't know if viruses can be embedded in a png.

I did think that 4.4MB was quite big for a png, but I'm guessing that the 8-bit alpha channel is not being compressed, as that would account for 4MB. The remaining 0.4MB sounds reasonable for a 24-bit png that size.
Old May 2 2011, 08:31 PM   #797
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Well, people shouldn't distribute texture packs in an executable form, anyway. Should always be a ZIP file as that's what Minecraft is compatible with. I think some might distribute as .exe files, which of course could do anything.
Old May 2 2011, 08:50 PM   #798
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

That's true, Jadzia, although they are distributed by zip files. People are saying though that they're getting piggybacked. Don't know the logistics of that though. I have Noscript installed and didn't see anything malicious, though some are reporting of ads hijacking buttons.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 09:07 PM   #799
judge alba
senior street judge

how do i make a portal? is is just an arch of 7 obsidean blocks? and how do i switch it on?
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 09:11 PM   #800
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

It must be made of obsidian with a central opening of 3 blocks high by 2 blocks wide. This means the full frame must be 5 blocks high and 4 blocks wide. And yes, you have to do the whole frame--not an arch. You can literally cut the corners, though, and that will work.

Ignite it with flint and steel.
Old May 2 2011, 09:18 PM   #801
judge alba
senior street judge

ah thanks done a 2x1 opening probaly why nothing happened, back to harvesting lava
Firm as a mountain.
Old May 2 2011, 11:14 PM   #802
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Well guys, looks like the texture pack I've been using has been discontinued by the author. Shame as it was such a nice one. He says he won't be doing anymore texture work.

I had downloaded another one at the same time which gave a similar look I was going for, but found wasn't as good. It's still good, mind you especially when it comes to wood and cobblestone but I found the trees and grass lacked something. I might still use it since I rather have something I can count on being updated though. Comments?

Or you know, there's something to be said about simplicity. I LOVE the look of this:

It's a simple cel-shaded texture pack and I think it's beautiful in its simplicity:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewto...081e54e210faac

Ironically, I feel it has better depth than most texturepacks. The light seems to reflect better on it when looked on from a distance.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; May 3 2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old May 3 2011, 01:28 AM   #803
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Owain probably hates me now. I tried to clear some tree bits with fire and wound up igniting the whole forest, including my oak and birch groves, and it pounded the server so hard it kept kicking him off.

Sorry, man! You should be able to get back on now. I bounced the server and all.
Old May 3 2011, 01:39 AM   #804
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Dude! You should know by now to never take fire near anything made of wood in this game! Stuff spreads like, well like wildfire.

Just built my first peaked roof. Hmmm, I wonder how fire-resistant stair blocks are, since they're pretty tough to break. Time to go out in the desert and do another test...

Owain - Aww, sucks about your old texture. To be honest though, I don't let that sort of thing stop me. After I update my game, if I have to I just snag a different updated texture pack, cut out any new graphical items from it I need and paste it into my current texture set and carry on.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 02:08 AM   #805
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, at least you have a witness who saw it happen, Robert :P With you burning down your boat and now this, you're looking like a pyromaniac Quick! Someone hide the matches!

Well Cutter, I know. It just seems like an awefully lot of work just for a texture pack. Robert and I are enjoying the simplicity out of the cell-shaded texture pack.
Old May 3 2011, 04:23 AM   #806
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Yeah, the cel-shaded pack is pretty nice, I like how clear and crisp it makes everything.

Something about the HD packs always looks "fakey" to me. Nothing can hide the general blockiness of Minecraft, so anything that accents and works with it tends to fit better, I think.
Old May 3 2011, 04:47 AM   #807
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, for me, it feels a bit like a retro videogame world like Mario World or Hyrule, in 3D, so in a way, it feels more epic than something that's trying to be realistic and exact. I feel it fits the playful nature of the game in ways that other texture packs don't. It's feature complete too, and you can tell a lot of work went into it compared to simply finding textures on the internet. In fact, I'd be happy if this became the Minecraft default, though I doubt it would happen, but I do feel it fits better than even the default minecraft textures.
Old May 3 2011, 05:12 AM   #808
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Yeah Owain, I guess it is overly fiddly. But I'm an odd old bird. I like to tweek and play around with things. But when I get it the way I like it, I get very grumpy if I have to change it.

I'm no expert, but I've always been artistically inclined, so if there is anything I can help anyone with graphics wise, feel free to drop me a note.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old May 3 2011, 06:07 AM   #809
judge alba
senior street judge

just done my portal and it looks pretty cool do i need to make another one in the nether or will there be one there for me to get back?

oh also when adding a texture pack do i just put the file into the texture folder or do i unzip it first?

will need to get round to posting some screenshots soon got three houses almost complete plus some roads connecting them with bridges and a nice collection of mines.
Firm as a mountain.

Last edited by Judge death; May 3 2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old May 3 2011, 09:25 AM   #810
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Judge - Nope, just walk on in. Just be sure you keep your flint and steel with you in case you need to relight it on the other side. Be ready to dodge, and whatever you do, don't attack a Pigman.

I don't bother unzipping anything. I just use WinRAR to open the texture pack and the minecraft.jar file, then just drag and drop the texturepack files into the game jar.