Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: do you think trek will survive the next 150 years?
Yes 27 54.00%
No 23 46.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1 2011, 04:00 PM   #31
KJbushway
Commodore

Re: Do you think star trek will still be around 150-200 years from now

Well there is the phrase change or die. I think new writers who are extreme fans might be able to make star trek something new, and re-introduce it.
I am all for the futurama approach.
KJbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 05:24 PM   #32
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

As for question whether Star Trek will still be "in production" in some form... uh, we don't even know what kind of media/entertainment people will have.
There will always be narrative structure entertainment (that's survived for thousands of years so why not thousands more) but we'll also be going towards the holodeck for game-type entertainment, which will sometimes have more of a story structure (provided by the artificial characters) and other times be more action based.

For traditional story-based entertainment, we won't be staring at screens at home or in theaters. We may be walking or riding through environments, or sitting still and letting the environment move past the viewer. These sorts of environments could be used for passive viewing of pre-written stories (people don't always want to make the effort to help generate the story or action) and could be switched to game-based entertainment as well, with various levels of tradeoff between passive and active audience interaction.

Star Trek lends itself well to all these formats, which increases its likelihood of survival. Star Wars will survive as well. Cop and doctor shows will survive because they can become more interactive - viewers can take on the roles, not just view them. So we'll be stuck with CSI for all eternity. I'm not quite so sure that lawyer shows lend themselves to audience participation, since they are more cerebral and involve less of a physical component.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 08:07 PM   #33
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

As we currently know it? The version with Shatner and Nimoy, the spin-offs and JJTrek? No.

In some way, shape, or form? Yes.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 08:22 PM   #34
Finn
Vice Admiral

I sometimes wonder about how one day, in the year 2364 when someone finds a copy of TNG's The Neutral Zone. That person might feel disappoinated in Humanity after seeing how the crew talks about how enlightned and evolved Humanity had become by 2364 in the Trekverse.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 04:10 PM   #35
sonak
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
As for question whether Star Trek will still be "in production" in some form... uh, we don't even know what kind of media/entertainment people will have.
There will always be narrative structure entertainment (that's survived for thousands of years so why not thousands more) but we'll also be going towards the holodeck for game-type entertainment, which will sometimes have more of a story structure (provided by the artificial characters) and other times be more action based.

For traditional story-based entertainment, we won't be staring at screens at home or in theaters. We may be walking or riding through environments, or sitting still and letting the environment move past the viewer. These sorts of environments could be used for passive viewing of pre-written stories (people don't always want to make the effort to help generate the story or action) and could be switched to game-based entertainment as well, with various levels of tradeoff between passive and active audience interaction.

Star Trek lends itself well to all these formats, which increases its likelihood of survival. Star Wars will survive as well. Cop and doctor shows will survive because they can become more interactive - viewers can take on the roles, not just view them. So we'll be stuck with CSI for all eternity. I'm not quite so sure that lawyer shows lend themselves to audience participation, since they are more cerebral and involve less of a physical component.

if you can change the scenario in a detective show to make yourself the detective, why can't you change the scenario in a courtroom drama to make yourself the lawyer?

I'd imagine there are some folks who'd enjoy role-playing arguing in front of a jury.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 08:59 PM   #36
Rom's Sehlat
Fleet Captain

I'm sure somewhere there are cerebral-types who would enjoy participatory shows. I'd rather run around like Matlock's flunkies, but somebody has to play Matlock. Or just think Data in his Sherlock Holmes stuff.
Rom's Sehlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 09:36 PM   #37
KJbushway
Commodore

Looks like the poll is saying its even between trekkies, some thing it can last some think it can't.
Old May 2 2011, 09:58 PM   #38
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

If you mean will it still be in production, I very much doubt it. I've no idea what the future holds for entertainment, but I'm sure it'll be radically different from anything we could imagine today.

Will Trek be remembered, though? Yes, I'm sure it will. I don't think something like City on the Edge of Forever or The Inner Light could be forgotten completely.
Old May 2 2011, 10:00 PM   #39
KJbushway
Commodore

A memory can still be considered being around. I mean TNG started in the 80's and I am still seeing re-runs of it. TOS in the 60's if I am up late enough I get to see it, i can.
Old May 2 2011, 10:10 PM   #40
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
If you mean will it still be in production, I very much doubt it.
Are nursery rhymes, fairy tales, fables, Shakespeare, Chaucer still "in production", and being adapted into new forms and inspiring other works?

Then, in a few centuries, so will Superman, Batman, Star Trek, Sherlock Holmes - and "American Pie" sequels.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 10:13 PM   #41
KJbushway
Commodore

^ actually the looney tones are coming back.
Old May 3 2011, 02:18 AM   #42
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

They already came back at least 20 times.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 02:34 AM   #43
Paradon
Rear Admiral

Sci-fi will always around, and yes, Trek will still be around. It's a classic. At least the reruns would....
Old May 3 2011, 02:48 AM   #44
Rageforthemachine
Rear Admiral

KJbushway wrote: View Post
Looks like the poll is saying its even between trekkies, some thing it can last some think it can't.

If both survive the Lirpa, combat will continue wis de Ahn-Woon.
Old May 3 2011, 02:59 AM   #45
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

I voted yes... If we take really good care of our DVD collections...
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote