Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate DTI: Watching The Clock
Outstanding 93 58.49%
Above Average 44 27.67%
Average 13 8.18%
Below Average 3 1.89%
Poor 6 3.77%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 30 2011, 09:44 PM   #91
JWolf
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

After I read it, should I tell people on Amazon how bad the eBook is?
Old May 1 2011, 01:28 AM   #92
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
92 pages in. Some of the paragraphs make for difficult reading.
I keep getting lost on where 'we' are in the timeline between the current story and flashbacks. Every section heading starting with a different planet/society's date format isn't helping because you don't know how far away one is relative to another. The uptime/downtime stardates are the master key, I guess.
Old May 1 2011, 02:03 AM   #93
Snaploud
Admiral

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
To those who have read it : could you wander over to Amazon and leave a review? There's only one, currently, and it's...not similar to the general sentiment here.
Yikes. A 1 out of 5...I submitted a brief review in response, and it should be up within 48 hours.

My review:

4 stars out of 5

It's a little disjointed at times and sometimes feels like a collection of short stories or a scientific paper on the nature of time. The book picks up mid-way, though, and you start to see how all the stories fit together into the larger whole. It's not the easiest Trek book I've ever read, but it's a satisfying science fiction story that manages to create a coherent background for time travel in the trek universe.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 02:37 AM   #94
Xenu Cruise
Lieutenant

JWolf wrote: View Post
Uh oh. That was how I was gonna buy it. What makes it so bad?
Xenu Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 03:12 AM   #95
JWolf
Commodore

Xenu Cruise wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
Uh oh. That was how I was gonna buy it. What makes it so bad?
No italics. There should be italics, but there are none in the eBook. Also, some of the section headers are missing the bold. I cannot speak for any textual errors as I am still reading Paths of Disharmony.
Old May 2 2011, 03:07 PM   #96
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I really enjoyed this book but kept thinking all the way through, boy Section 31 would sure love to keep tabs on these guys.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 03:29 PM   #97
Christopher
Writer

Sorry I haven't answered before now -- I'm at a hotel in Seattle and their wi-fi wasn't working.

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I keep getting lost on where 'we' are in the timeline between the current story and flashbacks. Every section heading starting with a different planet/society's date format isn't helping because you don't know how far away one is relative to another. The uptime/downtime stardates are the master key, I guess.
That and the chronology cues I tried to insert in the actual text about how long it had been since certain episodes/films or previous events in the book.

Snaploud wrote: View Post
It's a little disjointed at times and sometimes feels like a collection of short stories or a scientific paper on the nature of time. The book picks up mid-way, though, and you start to see how all the stories fit together into the larger whole. It's not the easiest Trek book I've ever read, but it's a satisfying science fiction story that manages to create a coherent background for time travel in the trek universe.
Thanks! Actually my initial goal was to have several parallel plots that were pretty much independent of each other, to show the whole range of responsibilities of the DTI. My model was procedural TV shows, so I was thinking in terms of A and B and C plots. I was also influenced by Articles of the Federation and its episodic structure. The plotlines just ended up aligning more with one another than I anticipated.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 07:15 PM   #98
shanejayell
Captain

Liked the bit where the DTI wanted
Old May 2 2011, 07:59 PM   #99
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

shanejayell wrote: View Post
Liked the bit where the DTI wanted
A lot of Christopher's books spend some time "retconning" explanations for things we saw in episodes that seem to have bothered him.
Old May 3 2011, 03:07 AM   #100
Christopher
Writer

I prefer to see it as developing story possibilities that were only hinted at onscreen. In this case, I wasn't trying to "fix" anything about the episode in question.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 04:57 AM   #101
aelius
Commander

Christopher, great book.
I enjoyed the format with all of the different plots weaving together. It had some very cool ideas like the Axis.
I also like the characterization of Dulmur and Lucsly. I could hear them talking all through the book. The original characters worked well too.
I was especially impressed with the way you wove modern physics theories into Star Trek time travel to explain the often contradictory effects and results of time travel.
On the whole I have to say - Well Done!
Proud Member of the TrekBBS Armada
aelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 05:57 AM   #102
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Congrats, Christopher - this is another outstanding one.

Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 06:10 AM   #103
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

aelius wrote: View Post
Christopher, great book.
I enjoyed the format with all of the different plots weaving together. It had some very cool ideas like the Axis.
I also like the characterization of Dulmur and Lucsly. I could hear them talking all through the book. The original characters worked well too.
I was especially impressed with the way you wove modern physics theories into Star Trek time travel to explain the often contradictory effects and results of time travel.
On the whole I have to say - Well Done!
I couldn't have said it better. Great read. Not finished yet & enjoying it.
Old May 3 2011, 08:04 AM   #104
Smiley
Rear Admiral

Wow. Christopher L. Bennett, you hit it out of the park with Watching the Clock. As a continuity-loving fan, I was thrilled by all of the references, retcons, and explanations included in this book. The characters, concepts, and everything else meshed together to create a fascinating and gripping read. Watching the Clock is in some respects a celebration of all of the different series of Star Trek, and it is a shining representation of what a tie-in novel (and novel in general) can be.

I've got lots of positive thoughts about the book, but I'm still processing the experience. I look forward to seeing the annotations.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 09:06 AM   #105
aaon80
Lieutenant

I loved the book, made for some great reading! I do want to agree with others who said the ebook is poorly edited. This is very true. I purchased the kindle version, myself, which is lacking in italics. It makes the occasional "inner monologue" from a character seem more like a non sequitur in the middle of a paragraph, until you realize that you are reading the character's thoughts. Also, some of the bolded text at the beginning of the chapters runs together. Basically, the errors are primarily in formatting, and I am quite disappointed by this, since it doesn't do justice to such a well-written book!