Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 24 2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

The Ultra Series (Ultraman)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_series

This thread is for everything Ultra, from "Ultra Q" to the latest "Ultraman Zero - The Movie: Super Deciding Fight! The Belial Galactic Empire".

I got into Ultraman through being a Godzilla fan and hearing about this superhero show Eiji Tsuburaya created. My very first DVD was the first volume of "Ultraman Mebius", and since then I'm hooked on the giant hero vs. giant monster concept.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2011, 08:58 AM   #2
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Re: The Ultra Series (Ultraman)

Some of my earliest memories are of watching the original Ultraman at a school mates house when I was in either kindergarten or first grade. One of the monsters in the show is a re-use of the Godzilla suit with some added attachments......which Ultraman rips off in bloody fashion, just leaving the Godzilla suit.

I remember watching that ep as a kid and my friends and I all thought Utraman was fighting Godzilla. Even years later, there were still images that stuck with me, even though I wouldn't be able to tell you which ep they came from.

However we all remembered the Beta Capsule (easy enough to find a sub for in those "pre-merchandise the shit out of everything days".) and would cross hands making his ray.

But for whatever reason, Ultraman wasn't something that aired here outside of those early 70's broadcasts, as far as I know. So it was always this dim memory of something really cool. Thankfully, the internet made it easy to look into Ultraman and I was shocked to find that there were so many spin-off's!

Then the DVD's came out, I've only picked up volume 1, but it was amazing how so much of it came back in the moment upon viewing. The fucking awesome outfits the Science Patrol wore, those cool pre-next gen symbol communicators, the vtol jet with the flames, the opening credits.

I remember sitting there going "I REMEMBER THAT!! How did I forget that?" I'd love to see that movie you've got a pic of, I would've thought it'd been available here by now. I'm guessing the original Ultraman is fourth from the right?
Old April 26 2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

The Lensman wrote: View Post
I'd love to see that movie you've got a pic of, I would've thought it'd been available here by now. I'm guessing the original Ultraman is fourth from the right?
He is, and that movie "Great Decisive Battle! Super 8 Ultra Brothers" was actually the sequel to "Ultraman Mebius & Ultraman Brothers" (the english titles vary, as there was never an official english language release). While I'm not sure about the second movie, the first one got fansubbed by "Fushigi-chan", as well as the whole Ultraman Mebius TV series (though titled "Ultraman Moebius") and the accompanying three-episode "Hikari Saga".

cooleddie74

Old April 26 2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Electric Coleslaw
Rear Admiral

I have the DVD set where they also have the original voices with subtitles rather than overdubs. After almost 35 years, I had never heard the original voices of the actors. But I had to switch it back to the overdubs because I had gotten too used to them.
Old April 27 2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Electric Coleslaw wrote: View Post
I have the DVD set where they also have the original voices with subtitles rather than overdubs. After almost 35 years, I had never heard the original voices of the actors. But I had to switch it back to the overdubs because I had gotten too used to them.
That way I'm lucky Ultraman was never aired in Germany. I could enjoy these DVDs without thinking about other people's voices.

Nice avatar, by the way.

cooleddie74

Old April 27 2011, 02:59 AM   #6
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I used to watch it as an Air Force brat living in Japan (not that I could understand Japanese) and had an action figure.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2011, 03:03 AM   #7
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Ultraman was pretty cool. I never saw a lot of it, but what I saw of it I liked.

The SNES game suuuucked.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
... and had an action figure.
Yeah, got some of those, too. Got two figures of Ultraman - The Next, the 2004 movie, as well as the alien Baltan (who are basically to Ultraman what the Daleks are to the Doctor).

cooleddie74

Old April 30 2011, 12:30 AM   #9
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post

This thread is for everything Ultra, from "Ultra Q" to the latest "Ultraman Zero - The Movie: Super Deciding Fight! The Belial Galactic Empire".

They really named it that??
Old April 30 2011, 12:42 AM   #10
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

^^ That's the international title, basically a translation of the original Japanese title. Japanese titles often tend to be this uber-sensational. A.e. movies like "Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah - Giant monsters all-out attack", "Great decisive Battle! The Super 8 Ultra Brothers", "Gezora, Ganime, Kamoeba: Decisive Battle! Giant Monsters of the South Seas" or "Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Super-Shocker".

cooleddie74