Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 24 2011, 12:59 PM   #301
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Lis Sladen

VDCNI wrote: View Post
Tom lives in France I think so that may have caused problems given how little time they had.

If they haven't recorded commentaries for Zygons or Android yet they will be very tough for Tom to do I would think.
Tom Baker moved back to England several years ago.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 01:10 PM   #302
Gov Kodos
Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
VDCNI wrote: View Post
Tom lives in France I think so that may have caused problems given how little time they had.

If they haven't recorded commentaries for Zygons or Android yet they will be very tough for Tom to do I would think.
Tom Baker moved back to England several years ago.
The suddenness may just have made it too difficult for Tom Baker to be involved. It may have been too personal an issue to do so so soon. I hope that they may do something more extensive in the future. I expect a season DVD or series DVD set will have a more extensive tribute to Elisabeth Sladen.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 01:37 PM   #303
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
The suddenness may just have made it too difficult for Tom Baker to be involved. It may have been too personal an issue to do so so soon.
DWM editor Tom Spillsbury made two Tweets earlier this week to that effect. Put together, they read:
Tom Baker has emailed me to say: "I shall post my own little tribute to Lis on my web site this morning. I have written it from my heart and I don't think I could repeat live on the radio. Terrible loss. Darling Lis."
Here and here for the originals.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 08:10 PM   #304
diankra
Commodore

A little info from a get-together for the first episode last night, where a statement from Elisabeth's daughter was read out. Basically, she had wanted not to publicise her illness, and she'd come through a previous case of cancer during the mid-1990s.
There will be some form of fundraising event for anti-cancer chrities in Lis and Nick Courtney's memory later in the year, probably in September.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 09:16 PM   #305
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
captcalhoun wrote: View Post
the video's been removed.
That was beautiful. Thank you for posting.

I also read the newsletter on Mr. Baker's website and am still saddened by just how much she touched so many people. I really wish I was a child of the time and fan of those years to understand the loss a lot better than I do. Still, it's such a sudden and tragic loss that despite me not knowing much about her, I still feel emotional reading all the tributes and letters. The world is a lot smaller a place today.
Old April 24 2011, 09:47 PM   #306
Maestro
Vice Admiral

I'm a 6'2", 300 lb., gruff school teacher. I have no fear of students, I have no fear of discipline, I have no fear of consequences with parents. I can chew ass like nobody's business.

I just finished watching that video, and I'm bawling like a little baby needing his mommy.
Old April 24 2011, 10:48 PM   #307
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

It was a great video. Takes me back to the '70's. Thanks for posting.
Old April 25 2011, 12:12 AM   #308
Mitty
Vice Admiral

View Mitty's Twitter Profile

Loved the tribute. I thought it would make me cry again, but it actually made me happy for her life. I don't normally like it when they just ask random people for their opinions, but I really liked what the CBBC presenter said about remember what she did, and not fixating on the fact she won't be doing anything else. All in all I think it was a lovely tribute, some say it wasn't long enough but I think it was just fine.
Old April 25 2011, 05:28 PM   #309
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Beautiful tribute.
Old April 26 2011, 02:20 PM   #310
EJA
Fleet Captain

I think I'm going to find it hard to watch any DW or SJA with Lis in it for a while.
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2011, 02:33 PM   #311
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

EJA wrote: View Post
I think I'm going to find it hard to watch any DW or SJA with Lis in it for a while.
Why?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2011, 02:38 PM   #312
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I thought it might be weird but actually, it wasn't. I'm watching my way through the old show and have reached Tom Baker's first season and I don't really feel differently about seeing her.
Old April 26 2011, 02:42 PM   #313
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Why?
Maybe because he's sad that the actor who portrayed a beloved character is dead and watching that character will only drive home the realization that there will be no more new adventures with that character? Must personal expressions of grief be challenged?
Old April 26 2011, 02:46 PM   #314
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Psion wrote: View Post
Why?
Maybe because he's sad that the actor who portrayed a beloved character is dead and watching that character will only drive home the realization that there will be no more new adventures with that character? Must personal expressions of grief be challenged?
I was curious as to know why, I was not challenging him, how you got that from a one word reply is rather impressive.

I have experienced loved ones dying, people I actually knew and interacted with on a regular basis, to discontinue doing things that would remind me of them is beyond my understanding, to do so for an actress I had no personal contact with, although sad in itself for her family and friends, is even further beyond my understanding.

So again, why EJA?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2011, 03:38 PM   #315
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Psion wrote: View Post

Why?
I was curious as to know why, I was not challenging him, how you got that from a one word reply is rather impressive.

I have experienced loved ones dying, people I actually knew and interacted with on a regular basis, to discontinue doing things that would remind me of them is beyond my understanding, to do so for an actress I had no personal contact with, although sad in itself for her family and friends, is even further beyond my understanding.

So again, why EJA?
Everyone handles Grief differently. One person, if a friend or loved one died, might instantly go dig up family videos to watch that person, right after the funeral. Another person may drive themselves into a Sanitarium if they tried watching videos of that loved one so soon.

For some, Lis Sladen is so familiar to them, and been such a part of their life, her loss is very genuine to them, as if they actually physically knew her. I'm usually fairly unaffected by famous people passing on, but, Lis' death has hit me square in the pit of my stomach. I however, am of the type who watched School Reunion the night I learned of her passing.

And if you really want a weird grief reaction, I've read the Last Harry Potter book two or three times, and watched the Deathly Hallows Movie, Part 1 3 times already, and I still tear up, and dread watching

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote