New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 26 2011, 12:30 PM   #76
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Peter Jackson commented on filming in 48 fps on his facebook page.

The news about us filming The Hobbit at 48 frames per second generated a lot of comments. Of course, it's impossible to show you what 48 fps actually looks like outside of a movie cinema, but there were several interesting and insightful questions raised.

We will be completing a "normal" 24 frames per second version—in both digital and 35mm film prints. If we are able to get the Hobbit projected at 48 fps in selected cinemas, there will still be normal-looking 24 fps versions available in cinemas everywhere.

Converting a film shot at 48 fps down to 24 fps is not a hugely difficult process, but it requires testing to achieve the best results. Some of this involves digital processes during post-production. We are also shooting the film a slightly different way, which is a question several of you asked. Normally you shoot a movie with a 180-degree shutter angle. Changing the shutter angle affects the amount of motion blur captured during movement. Reducing the shutter angle gives you the stroby (or jerky) "Saving Private Ryan" look.

However, we're going the other way, shooting at 48 fps with a 270 degree shutter angle. This gives the 48 fps a lovely silky look, and creates a very pleasing look at 24 fps as well. In fact, our DP, Andrew Lesnie, and I prefer the look of 24 fps when it comes from a 48 fps master.

More soon ....

Cheers,
Peter J

I'm looking forward to seeing how this looks, whether it's in 48 fps, 24 fps, 3D, or 2D.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2011, 01:53 AM   #77
Worf2DS9
Writer

We're definitely going back to Rivendell in this movie, but there's still no word on whether Hugo Weaving will be back as Elrond. What's up with that?
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2011, 03:19 AM   #78
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Peter Jackson commented on filming in 48 fps on his facebook page.

The news about us filming The Hobbit at 48 frames per second generated a lot of comments. Of course, it's impossible to show you what 48 fps actually looks like outside of a movie cinema, but there were several interesting and insightful questions raised.

We will be completing a "normal" 24 frames per second version—in both digital and 35mm film prints. If we are able to get the Hobbit projected at 48 fps in selected cinemas, there will still be normal-looking 24 fps versions available in cinemas everywhere.

Converting a film shot at 48 fps down to 24 fps is not a hugely difficult process, but it requires testing to achieve the best results. Some of this involves digital processes during post-production. We are also shooting the film a slightly different way, which is a question several of you asked. Normally you shoot a movie with a 180-degree shutter angle. Changing the shutter angle affects the amount of motion blur captured during movement. Reducing the shutter angle gives you the stroby (or jerky) "Saving Private Ryan" look.

However, we're going the other way, shooting at 48 fps with a 270 degree shutter angle. This gives the 48 fps a lovely silky look, and creates a very pleasing look at 24 fps as well. In fact, our DP, Andrew Lesnie, and I prefer the look of 24 fps when it comes from a 48 fps master.

More soon ....

Cheers,
Peter J

I'm looking forward to seeing how this looks, whether it's in 48 fps, 24 fps, 3D, or 2D.
Ya know, I think my shorts just got a little tighter...
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2011, 03:38 AM   #79
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

is there any other movie that is shot in this 48fps. Because I have no clue as to what kind of movie I would be looking at it. and as for rivendale that is a given. have you not read the book.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2011, 12:23 PM   #80
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I think he was questioning whether the actor would be back, not the character.
Old April 27 2011, 01:30 PM   #81
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

^ Speaking of which, theonering.net has an article in which someone spotted Hugo Weaving in Wellington.
he has reported seeing Hugo Weaving here in Wellington this afternoon ... it’s probably a bit too hasty to assume that he’s here to be in The Hobbit, but I can’t think of any other reason why he would come here right now, just when they’re discussing Rivendell scripts. It’s certainly not for the weather (it’s howling a cold southerly gale out there at the moment).
Source
Old April 27 2011, 01:34 PM   #82
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Sounds promising!
Old April 28 2011, 11:59 PM   #83
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
I assume it will also be released in a 24fps version so other theaters can also show it, right?
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
We will be completing a "normal" 24 frames per second version—in both digital and 35mm film prints.
I was right!
Old April 29 2011, 12:06 AM   #84
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

Keep up the good work, Nostradamus.
Old April 29 2011, 12:09 AM   #85
Worf2DS9
Writer

Thanks for that tidbit on Weaving, Samuel Walters!
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 02:14 AM   #86
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

^ My pleasure. Speaking of casting rumors here are two more (one already fairly well-established, the other more recent):

Christopher Lee reprising his role as Saruman:
Farrell on his blog ... mentioned that Lee was ”getting ready to reprise his role as Saruman in Peter Jackson’s two-part production of The Hobbit”.While there is nothing on the video discussing The Hobbit nor is the statement itself a confirmation, the fact that Farrell recently spoke with Lee and chose this particular phrasing of words (without hedging) suggests this was part of their conversation and that Lee directly stated this. It could be a case of an over-zealous Tolkien fan reading too much into that statement but TORN followers may want to scour any future videos for tidbits of information. Source

Orlando Bloom reprising his role as Legolas:
“I’m going to bet on it,” [Bloom] said in an interview with MTV. “But I can’t really talk too much about it at the moment because it’s still sort of in the ether. But I would love to go back to work with Peter Jackson. It would be an honour.” Source
Old April 29 2011, 02:19 AM   #87
Davros
Fleet Admiral

My problem with Saruman being in this movie is that I do not remember him ever being in the book. If you have to cut out parts of a book to make it into a movie, why add in parts that were never there?
Old April 29 2011, 02:26 AM   #88
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

Saruman being in the movie fits with the intent to include what happened when

Old April 29 2011, 02:42 AM   #89
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

^^that's what I assumed from the beginning in order to fill out 2 movies. And similarly, Legolas is Thranduil's son, so it would make sense to see him in the Elvenhalls in Mirkwood when the party is captured.

Which reminds me... is "Attercop!" going to be in the movie???
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 03:07 AM   #90
Skywalker
Admiral

The only thing about Christopher Lee coming back is he's said that at his age, he doesn't want to fly all the way out to New Zealand. Maybe they'll bring the requisite cast up to England and film the White Council scenes up there.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote