Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 20 2011, 01:48 AM   #166
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: Mass Effect 3

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
That being said, a lot of the armor types in ME1 had much more variable stats. The ME2 armor pieces didn't do a whole ton of good for me - the most noticable equipment effects were from the Kuwashii Visor, the Off-Hand Ammo Pack and the Ordinance Pack. Then again, my main build is a soldier, and I play cautiously enough that I barely get hurt badly enough to test the limits of the N7 armor system.
Well, the whole goal of the armor system in ME2 was to give the player the ability to build a set of armor that looked good to them, so they couldn't really have the armor pieces do too much, otherwise people would've gone for the set that has the most stat boosts.
Old April 20 2011, 09:47 AM   #167
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Indeed. Plus as I previously stated, in a shooter stats shouldn't really mean that much. There's few things as tedious as throwing about 5000 rounds downrange, but because the stats say you're character (a highly trained and seasoned combat veteran) isn't skilled enough and you might as well be shooting spit-balls for all the effect you're having. At most, even the best armour should only give you a few extra seconds of shields or health while under fire. Even in ME1 (which had a lot more under-the-hood dice rolling going on) they only really made much of a difference on the higher difficulty settings. I managed to play through the whole thing, sticking with the default N7 armour.

ME2 got the balance just right. Enough customisation to give it your own stamp and some either/or choices for stats boosts. Only when playing on 'Insane' did I feel the need to minmax.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 08:00 PM   #168
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

Lots of New Mass Effect 3 details revealed (some very minor spoilers).

"Gunfights are quicker and more deadly."

I don't know. Sounds like the gameplay is going in the wrong direction for me. I was already annoyed with all the chest-high wall cover-shooting, and this sounds like its even further in that camp.
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 08:21 PM   #169
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^I'm pretty sure the Game Informer article had Bioware saying they were very specifically not going to rely on the convenient chest high wall thing.

Not that it bothered me much because it beat the hell out of the nearly useless cover mechanics in ME1...but I suppose that had more to do with the AI as the cover itself.

IIRC there was also talk of diving over cover and climbing ladders in the middle of a gunfight to bring a little more strategic variety.
Old April 24 2011, 08:32 PM   #170
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

"Normal in ME 3 will be the equivalent of Veteran in ME 2."

I don't know if this is a good thing. I get by butt kicked on normal sometimes. I hope it's not too hard. I'd like to enjoy the game.
Old April 25 2011, 01:43 AM   #171
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

I was offput by the difficulty blurb also. Its not that I'll have problems on "Veteran" so much as that was always the difficulty I played on after the Insanity runthrough. So I won't be able to bump it up a notch, and Insanity will also be that much more difficult.

It also reminds me of the awful Dragon Age, where normal difficulty was just a hair under Insanity to start with. Unless, apparently, you were playing a mage.
Old April 25 2011, 01:46 AM   #172
Jax
Admiral

The real problem was the almost lock on ability of the A.I so the combat needs to be streamlined not increased. Also they should just keep the difficulty settings as they were in ME 2 and cater to a broad base it just seems odd. I have to admit Bioware seems to be changing a lot for the sake of it and maybe they should focus on what actually needs addressing.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2011, 03:24 AM   #173
HotRod
Commander

I can't really say I'm too worried. By this point, atleast when it comes to Mass Effect, I have complete faith in Bioware not to screw up their perfect hat trick. This is not something I've ever been able to say about any other game studio, but god help me, I'm 100% sure Mass Effect 3 will be a game of epic proportions and likely take GOTY.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2011, 04:34 AM   #174
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Shepard faces full-on bosses in the game’s story. Some are really huge. One part, you have to lure a Reaper up to a Thresher Maw so they can duke it out.
I certainly hope this makes more sense in the game than it does in the article.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2011, 05:00 AM   #175
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

HotRod wrote: View Post
I have complete faith in Bioware not to screw up their perfect hat trick. I'm 100% sure Mass Effect 3 will be a game of epic proportions and likely take GOTY.
Great, now we know who to blame when it sucks because YOU JUST JINXED IT!

-Brett- wrote: View Post
Maybe its a legendary rare spawn Thresher Maw that's half the size of a planet! Or maybe HotRod jinxed it so hard that the jinx traveled back in time to create Mecha-Thresher Mawzilla!
Old April 25 2011, 06:54 AM   #176
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Eh, you're still gonna buy it.
Old April 25 2011, 01:56 PM   #177
HotRod
Commander

Well I'll tell ya what I'll do. If by some strange twist of fate Mass Effect 3 bombs, I will go to Edmonton and sacrifice myself to the Video Game Gods in front of the Bioware HQ. May I forever be a reminder to never jinx a game before its release date.
Old April 25 2011, 03:38 PM   #178
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The Normandy appears to have a new coat of paint, and possibly armour. The paint-job has a symbol that's slightly spoilery, so don't click if you don't want to know.

http://kotaku.com/#!5795227/mass-effects-normandy-has-a-new-coat-of-paint
Old April 25 2011, 03:51 PM   #179
HotRod
Commander

Very Nice!
Old April 25 2011, 04:22 PM   #180
Reverend
Rear Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post
Shepard faces full-on bosses in the game’s story. Some are really huge. One part, you have to lure a Reaper up to a Thresher Maw so they can duke it out.

Or, on the other hand, there's this.

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
The Normandy appears to have a new coat of paint, and possibly armour. The paint-job has a symbol that's slightly spoilery, so don't click if you don't want to know.

http://kotaku.com/#!5795227/mass-effects-normandy-has-a-new-coat-of-paint
All I want to know is; will they let me wander around the cargo bay this time!? I know it's seriously petty but it honestly bugged me that there was a part of the ship I could see but not explore.

HotRod wrote: View Post
I can't really say I'm too worried. By this point, atleast when it comes to Mass Effect, I have complete faith in Bioware not to screw up their perfect hat trick. This is not something I've ever been able to say about any other game studio, but god help me, I'm 100% sure Mass Effect 3 will be a game of epic proportions and likely take GOTY.
Well I wouldn't go that far, but I agree, the odds of this being crap are decidedly slim. The only thing that concerns me is what feels like a relatively short development cycle and I worry that this is something imposed by EA to cash in on the success and acclaim of ME2 while people still remember it...you know, like how Dragon Age 2 was released only three quarters done and even that with some major short-cuts.

On the other hand, assuming they've been working on ME3 for at least a year and have as rumoured been using the DLC to prototype and test certain things they wanted to include in ME3 than perhaps it's not quite as bad as it seems.