Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 22 2011, 06:34 AM   #271
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Lis Sladen

In reading this thread and the various tributes, I actually teared up tonight. I'm not sure why as I only knew Sarah Jane Smith a short time (School Reunion and the Season 4 finale), haven't seen her in the Tom Baker Years, and haven't seen an episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures. Still, I got emotional reading these tributes, and I think the reason why is because they've been extremely powerful and extremely classy. There's been no disagreements, no arguments, just an undying love to someone who touched so many lives.

I think that's how I see someone like Elizabeth Sladen. Everyone has a favorite doctor, favorite companion, favorite whatever, but this woman has touched the lives of so many people from producers to actors to fans (especially children fans) that it feels like a major loss in the world. She was a classy person, full of life and spirit, and personally, I saw that in School Reunion.

I guess looking at it from my perspective, casting a former companion could be something like stunt casting but I didn't see it in that episode. I saw someone who fit right in with the chemistry of Rose and the Doctor and someone who I wish I got to know more of some more. Maybe one day, I might go back and watch the Sarah Jane Adventures or the Tom Baker years, but now I only have what others say and what others are saying are sentiments that are powerful and emotional.

A hole was left by this shocking news this week. I only found out about it tonight, and my heart goes out to the family, friends, and fans who she has touched over the years.

RIP Sarah Jane.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 08:13 AM   #272
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

A nice pictorial tribute at the Radio Times website, and some shots folks might not have seen before.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 10:50 AM   #273
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Turbo wrote: View Post
Yeah, but that particular spreadsheet doesn't include Series 4 or SJA, or at least it didn't the last time I saw it. If I'm recalling the numbers correctly, "The Stolen Earth/Journey's End", "The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith" and "Death of the Doctor" put Sarah Jane over Jamie. Maybe.

Well, my spreadsheet focused only on Doctor Who and not any of the spin-offs. But...

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
If you go by number of episodes and/or number of hours, Jamie beats Sarah Jane (I know because I made a spreadsheet on this a few years ago and posted in this forum). Sorry, minor nitpick.
Hmmm, it might be time to recalculate to take her later appearances with Ten and Eleven into account. And I assume you counted The Two Doctors?
I don't think I have her subsequent appearances on Doctor Who after "School Reunion." Unfortunately, the original file has been lost (although I'm still holding out a small hope that it, amongst many other files, will be retrieved from the damaged hard drive...) but I think I still have the screen capture of the spreadsheet somewhere. Retyping and recalculating will be a pain in the ass.

And, yes, I included The Two Doctors in Jamie's count (and The Five Doctors for Sarah Jane, but not Jamie because his appearance was a mere cameo).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 11:19 AM   #274
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Oh and speaking of dvde's, anyone know if she recorded any commentaries that have yet to be released? No doubt there'll be a lovely memorial on the next episode from her era thats released.
There are four episodes from her era which haven't been released: Invasion of the Dinosaurs, Death to the Daleks, Terror of the Zygons, and The Android Invasion. Zygons and Daleks have both been confirmed as being in production, but I have no idea if that means she was able to record a commentary.
I asked Philip Hinchcliffe if he'd done Android Invasion's shortly after we lost Barry, he said he hadn't. AFIAK the other three weren't done before she stopped doing them either, but don't know that for certain.

I wouldn't rule out a Brigadier boxset of Dinosaurs and Zygons, or Sarah Jane set of Daleks and Androids. From what Nick Briggs was saying, they were in the process of doing a SJ documentary anyway.
Old April 22 2011, 11:54 AM   #275
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Yeah, but that particular spreadsheet doesn't include Series 4 or SJA, or at least it didn't the last time I saw it. If I'm recalling the numbers correctly, "The Stolen Earth/Journey's End", "The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith" and "Death of the Doctor" put Sarah Jane over Jamie. Maybe.

Well, my spreadsheet focused only on Doctor Who and not any of the spin-offs. But...

If you go by number of episodes and/or number of hours, Jamie beats Sarah Jane (I know because I made a spreadsheet on this a few years ago and posted in this forum). Sorry, minor nitpick.
Hmmm, it might be time to recalculate to take her later appearances with Ten and Eleven into account. And I assume you counted The Two Doctors?
I don't think I have her subsequent appearances on Doctor Who after "School Reunion." Unfortunately, the original file has been lost (although I'm still holding out a small hope that it, amongst many other files, will be retrieved from the damaged hard drive...) but I think I still have the screen capture of the spreadsheet somewhere. Retyping and recalculating will be a pain in the ass.

And, yes, I included The Two Doctors in Jamie's count (and The Five Doctors for Sarah Jane, but not Jamie because his appearance was a mere cameo).
I did some searching and I found the old screencap. Unfortunately it's four years out of date.

Old April 22 2011, 11:14 PM   #276
Starkers
Admiral

Aw crikey, I just watched School Reunion and damn if it didn't send chills up my spine

Never mind "My Sarah Jane." I think she should be rebadged as Our Sarah Jane.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 11:44 PM   #277
Epsilon IX
Fleet Captain

Just heard this only a few minutes ago, it's really upsetting! RIP Lis Sladen, you'll be sorely missed!
Old April 23 2011, 02:22 AM   #278
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

I relistened to Big Finish's Zagreus yesterday and it was a double whammy. Lis Sladen's brief cameo and Nicholas Courtney's substantial role (AND *spoiler for those who haven't listened to it, but those who have, know who I'm talking about*).

I can't wait for those BBC Radio audios to arrive...

Old April 23 2011, 04:44 AM   #279
Valin
Rear Admiral

I just found out about this. This is very sad. I'm going to have to watch "Pyramids of Mars" again soon.

My condolences to her family and friends.

RIP Lis Sladen/Sarah Jane.
Old April 23 2011, 08:50 AM   #280
I am not Spock
Commodore

This is appalling news. I'm very shocked and upset
Old April 23 2011, 09:43 AM   #281
VDCNI
Captain

she had stopped doing commentaries so the just released Planet Of The Spiders may be the last one.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 08:23 PM   #282
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The CBBC's 15-minute tribute to Lis Sladen, with reminiscences from Davies, Tennant, Smith, Katy Manning, and the Sarah Jane cast.

On an unrelated note, what the heck is going on with Matt Smith's hair? That has to drive Who's continuity person insane.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 08:24 PM   #283
captcalhoun
Admiral

the video's been removed.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 08:25 PM   #284
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Well, dang.

It was super awesome, though!

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 08:40 PM   #285
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Well, dang.

It was super awesome, though!
Yes it was.

I watched it on CBBC earlier and given she died, what on Tuesday, having that all done for this evening was, although not massively impressive (I knew they could do it) it was nice neither-less and proved a poster here wrong which was brilliant.

It was very touching though and that was the main thing.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote