Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 19 2011, 12:47 AM   #136
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Charting the Novel-verse

Christopher wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Hi, Turtletrekker. ZSG should actually be part of the 'primary core continuity' section because its final page blatantly states "The saga of Deep Space Nine will continue", a proclamation that is only included in novels which are part of the 'core' required reading list for the DS9-R.
I think a better reason would be that it's a Bashir story and he's a member of the core DS9 cast.
Maybe I'll just stick both ZSG (With Bashir/Ezri) and RBoE (With Sisko/Vaughn/Kira) in "Primary" and PoD (with Shar) and IFM (with Nog) in "Secondary".
Old April 19 2011, 01:02 AM   #137
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

^ That's what I would do. Seems like both of them are going to have to end up being pretty important to the next ongoing arc.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 08:47 PM   #138
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

TOS edits are done. The rest should follow in short order.
Old April 22 2011, 05:29 AM   #139
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

ADDENDUM TWO: Strange New Worlds

The Strange New Worlds series was an annual contest showcasing the best Star Trek short stories submitted by fans. The series ran for 10 years (1998-2007) and several contributors went on to become professional Trek authors themselves. Although none of the stories were actually commisioned for the "novel-verse", several contributors threw in novel-verse references anyway. Beyond that, several professional Trek authors have drawn on Strange New Worlds stories for background details in their own tales. Here is a list of SNW stories with novel-verse connections...

SNW II: "Gods, Fate, and Fractals" by William Leisner (Referenced in Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock)

SNW III: "Dorian's Diary" by G. Wood (Elements of Scotty's backstory used in The Future Begins.)

SNW III: "The Aliens are Coming" by Dayton Ward (Referenced in The Eugenics Wars.)

SNW IV: "Ancient History" by Robert J. Mendenhall (Elements of Scotty's backstory used in The Future Begins.)

SNW IV: "Bum Radish: Five Spins on a Turquoise Reindeer" by T. G. Theodore (Elements of Scotty's backstory used in The Future Begins.)

SNW VI: "The Human Factor" by Russ Crossley (Utilizes the death of Jack Crusher as established in Reunion. Also references Q-in-Law.)

SNW VII: "Full Circle" by Scott Pearson (Harriman backstory is from Serpents Among the Ruins. Also, elements of Scotty's backstory used in The Future Begins)

SNW 8: "Gumbo" by Amy Vincent (Utilizes Jake Sisko backstory established in Avatar book 2,)

SNW 9: "Terra Tonight" by Scott Pearson (Sequel to "Full Circle")

SNW 9: "Shattered Allies" by Emily P. Bloch (Utilizes elements of the post-finale DS9 books, but not entirely consistent with it.)

SNW 9: "The Last Tree on Ferenginar: A Ferengi Fable from the Future" by Mike McDevitt (Utilizes elements of the post-finale DS9 books, but not entirely consistent with it.)

SNW 9: "The Immortality Blues" by Marc Carlson (Utilizes elements of The Sundered and The Eugenics Wars.)

Last edited by Turtletrekker; April 22 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 06:28 AM   #140
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Updates are complete. I have one more edit request in for the OP that will put update acknowlegments in the first post, and links to the addendums in the ToC.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; April 22 2011 at 08:11 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 08:20 PM   #141
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

The updates are really outstanding. This is such an amazing resource for TrekLit fandom; very impressive.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 10:09 PM   #142
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

It's some years since I read it, but didn't Gumbo in SNW 08 had a loose connection to the DS9 Relaunch?
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 10:22 PM   #143
Christopher
Writer

Defcon wrote: View Post
It's some years since I read it, but didn't Gumbo in SNW 08 had a loose connection to the DS9 Relaunch?
Yeah, as I recall, it depicted Jake contemplating an action which was implicitly or explicitly the one he undertook at the end of Avatar, Book 2.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 11:34 PM   #144
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Defcon wrote: View Post
Yeah, as I recall, it depicted Jake contemplating an action which was implicitly or explicitly the one he undertook at the end of Avatar, Book 2.
Thanks to you both. I can get that in under the edit deadline.
Old April 23 2011, 06:25 AM   #145
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

Brilliant project, Turtletrekker.

I hope you can get this in under the deadline as well, but Indistinguishable from Magic also references The Genesis Wave novels (at least Books 1 & 2) with regards to the Federation recovering from it and
Old April 23 2011, 06:59 AM   #146
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Turtletrekker, I noticed something that I don't think you caught: Despite now being listed as part of the 'primary core continuity' for DS9, ZSG is also still listed in the 'Connected' section.
Old April 23 2011, 07:08 AM   #147
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^ I actually did notice that, and it was the first thing I put into my notes for the next update. Thanks.
Old April 23 2011, 07:28 AM   #148
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

No problem. BTW, I have some new suggestions for future updates:
* The TNG novels Dead Zone (Maximum Warp #2) and The Battle of Betazed and The Lost Era novels The Art of the Impossible and Serpents Among the Ruins ought to be mentioned/listed somewhere in the DS9 section because they feature appearances/cameos by DS9-R characters (Tiris Jast in Dead Zone and Vaugn in TBoB, TAotI, and SAtR)

* Mission Gamma: Lesser Evil and The Lost Era novel The Art of the Impossible ought to be mentioned/listed somewhere in the Vanguard section because they both feature or mention T'Prynn

I was also wondering if Ro's appearances in the TNG novel Rogue Saucer, the numbered DS9 novel Wrath of the Prophets, and the Dominion War miniseries novels were consistent with her characterization and post-Pre-emptive Strike character history as established by Avatar and the other books in the DS9-R, because if they are, they ought to be mentioned/listed somewhere in the DS9 section as well.
Old April 23 2011, 01:17 PM   #149
Christopher
Writer

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I was also wondering if Ro's appearances in the TNG novel Rogue Saucer, the numbered DS9 novel Wrath of the Prophets, and the Dominion War miniseries novels were consistent with her characterization and post-Pre-emptive Strike character history as established by Avatar and the other books in the DS9-R, because if they are, they ought to be mentioned/listed somewhere in the DS9 section as well.
The Dominion War novels are not consistent with Avatar etc. As for the others, I don't recall any inconsistencies.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 03:49 PM   #150
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Thanks, Christopher.