Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 1 2011, 08:35 PM   #16
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

That sounds good indeed. Would make me give a shit about Cosette too. And Hugh Jackman as Javert? Perhaps not old enough. Oh! Hugh Jackman as Marius?
Old April 1 2011, 08:37 PM   #17
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Ya'know, having Lea Michele play Éponine, might cut into her time on Glee, which wouldn't be a bad thing. It'd give other characters time to develop. Mike Chang, Blaine and Sam are being becoming full cast members, it'll give them more chances to shine. Also, according to the series creator, cast member are going to leave as the graduate, so Lea may be playing Rachael until the end of next season. Better stop now before I really derail this topic.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Kestrel wrote: View Post
That sounds good indeed. Would make me give a shit about Cosette too. And Hugh Jackman as Javert? Perhaps not old enough. Oh! Hugh Jackman as Marius?
What is Hugh's vocal range? To stay true to the musical, he needs to be either a Bass-Baritone or a Baritone, to play Javert; and a tenor (specifically a dramatic tenor) to play Valjean. I think he'd be much too old to play Marius.

Marius would need to be much younger, stage allows for older actors to play younger character due to distances involved in seeing them (or so I've been told). Hugh could easily pass for a man in his early 30's, not late teens or early 20's. Marius could be played by Zac Efron ( ). But please NOT Nick Jonas , I saw the 25 Anniversary Concert and wanted to jam ice picks in my ears when he sang. Thankfully Michael Ball came out and the end and showed gave an actual performance.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old April 1 2011, 09:05 PM   #19
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Vanyel wrote: View Post
What is Hugh's vocal range? To stay true to the musical, he needs to be either a Bass-Baritone or a Baritone, to play Javert; and a tenor (specifically a dramatic tenor) to play Valjean. I think he'd be much too old to play Marius.
Yeah, he's too old to be Marius. I don't think Javert or Valjean would be a problem, visually; he's mid-40s, and the character runs the gamut from a youngish man to a man fairly advanced in years over the course of the show.

I don't know the technical term, but having heard him sing a few times, I don't think he'd have a problem with either part.

Hathaway seems a little old to be Cosette by now, but I could see it working okay.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2011, 04:39 AM   #20
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Sorry to resurrect this thread (Well it is 9 days to Easter so maybe it is a good time.) but I was listening to John Barrowman on Youtube, and I thought he is funny (I love his Captain Jack) and thought he could be a good Thénardier. Granted, he is too pretty for the part, as it is generally portrayed, but I think he could do it. Hugh as Valjean, Lea Michele as Éponine, Anne Hathaway as Cossette and the rest of the cast rounded out by Broadway/West End vets.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old April 21 2011, 10:01 PM   #21
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Oh, Barrowman as Thenardier would be hilarious. Half the fun would be from playing so completely against type. For something closer to what he usually plays, he might be a good choice as Enjolras.
Old April 22 2011, 03:08 AM   #22
Turbo
Vice Admiral

On second thought, Barrowman as Enjolras might be a problem, because then Marius probably won't end up with Cosette OR Eponine.
Old April 22 2011, 04:02 AM   #23
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

No but seriously, if he can sing, I can see Barrowman as Enjolras.
Old April 22 2011, 04:32 AM   #24
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post

No but seriously, if he can sing, I can see Barrowman as Enjolras.
He can sing.

This is probably a better showcase of his voice, though (I couldn't resist the Les Mis in the first video)
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 05:24 AM   #25
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

And to just to show his singing and comedic talent.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old April 22 2011, 05:35 AM   #26
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Nice Les Mis tie in there too, with Ruthie Henshall!

I actually didn't think I've ever seen her outside of her performance of Fantine in Les Mis for the 10th anniversary. She's actually pretty hot without that blonde wig!
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 05:47 AM   #27
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

She's only 44, she could pull of Fantine again in a movie.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old April 22 2011, 06:38 AM   #28
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Alright, I'm convinced! John Barrowman for... who, Enjolras or Thendier? As much fun as Master of the House is, Enjolras' bits are so much more... awesome.
Old April 22 2011, 06:42 PM   #29
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

How about Josie Lawrence as Madame Thénardier?
Here she is showing her singing and comedic talents:
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old April 22 2011, 09:11 PM   #30
Turbo
Vice Admiral

She would be good if they couldn't get Jenny Galloway for some reason.

EDIT: Or Catherine Tate.