Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Indistinguishable From Magic
Outstanding 47 29.01%
Above Average 61 37.65%
Average 25 15.43%
Below Average 15 9.26%
Poor 14 8.64%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 21 2011, 07:36 PM   #211
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Just thought I'd mention that I started it earlier after work while sat in the garden. If the first couple of chapters are anything to go by, this is going to be one very good read.
Who's that in your avatar? It looks like Michael Connelly to me...
Who?

And no it's not, I thought I'd jump on the Vote Yes to AV Avatar bandwagon that a few people have put up and after a quick google search I found this one. It's everyone's favourite cross-dressing comedian, Eddie Izzard.

Oh, and I am loving the book. After the last couple of Trek novels I've read, IFM is epically awesome.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 08:05 PM   #212
Lonemagpie
Writer

I don't recognize him with a beard! I thought it was this guy - http://www.wordandfilm.com/files/201...l-connelly.jpg - who's a crime novelist I read and whose author picture in the paperbacks looks even more like your av than this picture does!

Glad you're enjoying IFM.

As for the AV referendum... I'm fucked. Can't vote yes (even though we need a change) cos Ed Millipede wants that. Can't vote no cos Cameron and Two-Jags want that... And I'd prefer PR or Approval voting anyway! (Or AV just as a top-up as in Scotland)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 08:38 PM   #213
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

I don't recognize him with a beard! I thought it was this guy - http://www.wordandfilm.com/files/201...l-connelly.jpg - who's a crime novelist I read and whose author picture in the paperbacks looks even more like your av than this picture does!

Glad you're enjoying IFM.

As for the AV referendum... I'm fucked. Can't vote yes (even though we need a change) cos Ed Millipede wants that. Can't vote no cos Cameron and Two-Jags want that... And I'd prefer PR or Approval voting anyway! (Or AV just as a top-up as in Scotland)
Ah, I've seen his books around, I've not really read much crime and they've been all Rankin and if you count them as crime, Brookmyre.

And yes, I am truly loving all the Britishism's aswell and are you a fan of House or is it just a coincidence that Rassmussen is from Trenton?

Ah yes, the quidmymre (sp) that is going to be the Referendum in a few weeks. We need something else other than first past the post and if AV doesn't get through, we'll be stuck with it for at least a generation, maybe more. If it does go through though, there is always the chance that somewhen down the line, we'll have PR and not just a water downed version.

Old April 21 2011, 09:08 PM   #214
Lonemagpie
Writer

Ah, I've seen his books around, I've not really read much crime and they've been all Rankin and if you count them as crime, Brookmyre.

And yes, I am truly loving all the Britishism's aswell and are you a fan of House or is it just a coincidence that Rassmussen is from Trenton?
Sadly it's coincidence - I was probably subconsciously thinking of the Doctor's line to Amelia Rumford in Stones Of Blood that K9 was "all the rage in Trenton, New Jersey" - Rasmussen says in A Matter Of Time that he was from New Jersey, and it was the one city name that sprang to mind. (the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Hoboken)

Old April 22 2011, 09:46 PM   #215
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Sadly it's coincidence - I was probably subconsciously thinking of the Doctor's line to Amelia Rumford in Stones Of Blood that K9 was "all the rage in Trenton, New Jersey" - Rasmussen says in A Matter Of Time that he was from New Jersey, and it was the one city name that sprang to mind. (the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Hoboken)
Ah ok, I've not really seen that much old-Who so I wouldn't know, the only place I know Trenton from is House.

One thing I can say for sure though is you're a fan of Life on Mars, I was just reading IFM and it struck me that Tyler Hunts name sounded familiar. I did a bit of digging of the old grey matter and I laughed out loud realising that it's a merging of Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt from Life on Mars. Would you by anychance have "cast" John Simm in the role of Tyler?

Old April 22 2011, 09:56 PM   #216
Lonemagpie
Writer

Ah ok, I've not really seen that much old-Who so I wouldn't know, the only place I know Trenton from is House.

One thing I can say for sure though is you're a fan of Life on Mars, I was just reading IFM and it struck me that Tyler Hunts name sounded familiar. I did a bit of digging of the old grey matter and I laughed out loud realising that it's a merging of Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt from Life on Mars. Would you by anychance have "cast" John Simm in the role of Tyler?
Yep. I suspect most Trek fans will figure it's a Dylan Hunt ref, but it *is* actually a LoM ref.

That's also the real reason why Nelson's is called Nelson's - in-story it's after Lord Nelson, but for me it's after Nelson the barman of the Railway Arms...

Old April 23 2011, 05:24 PM   #217
Technobuilder
Commodore

Note: I'm only just starting Chapter 4, but I can already tell that this book is something special.

I'm really grooving on a Geordi as a main character again and a viewpoint character at that.

Been looking forward to this since it was first announced and damned if it isn't already firing on all cylinders.

I was so eager to read Indistinguishable From Magic that I skipped the last few Typhon Pact Books (which I'll be going back to afterward.)

Anywho, I'll check back in later when I'm finished.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 07:04 PM   #218
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

Haven't read any Trek fiction since Destiny (which I loved) but this and Watching the Clock have caught my attention so I'll be purchasing Kindle iPad versions.
Old April 23 2011, 10:49 PM   #219
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I noticed there was a reference to the plasma injectors of Intrepid being of the ""T'Lani Bureau" type and being built by the Vulcans. Is this a reference to the T'Lani of DS9's "Armageddon Game"?
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 11:54 PM   #220
Technobuilder
Commodore

About to start Chapter 14 and holy crap!

Very enjoyable read so far.

Can't believe David McIntee was able to assemble this particular cast of characters.

I'm loving it.

Really digging this novel.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 10:36 AM   #221
Lonemagpie
Writer

DS9forever wrote: View Post
I noticed there was a reference to the plasma injectors of Intrepid being of the ""T'Lani Bureau" type and being built by the Vulcans. Is this a reference to the T'Lani of DS9's "Armageddon Game"?
Honestly... it was a year ago that I wrote that bit and now I don't remember! Might be. I vaguely remember looking for all the technical specs that existed for the NX Class and it might be from something on that - Drex Files or something, maybe.

Old April 24 2011, 08:08 PM   #222
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

View OverlordSpock's Twitter Profile

I finished the book up yesterday and rated it "Above Average". To be honest, I probably would have rated it "Average" but for one major point.

First, I enjoyed seeing Geordi get some development, as others have said. I also enjoy seeing what's going on in other corners of the TrekVerse besides just the Enterprise and other show settings.

Qat was a wonderful character and I very definitely insist that we see more of her in the future. The chief engineer was an interesting character, and I loved the way he spoke, but I think too much of him would be a bad thing.

The problems, however, were many.

As others have mentioned (and David has responded to), there was way too much small universe syndrome here and it really stretched credulity for me. I enjoyed seeing the characters, but I just couldn't stop thinking "Yeah, right" about their appearances.

The flow of the book was way too abrupt. There were way too many really short scenes. The book just seemed like it was wildly swinging back and forth between different characters and/or situations. There were aspects of the book that just weren't dealt with in an in-depth enough way. I like my TrekLit to be deeper.

Although I get why this is, there was a lot more technobabble than I really like. Especially in the second half, it made the book difficult to read as I tried to figure out what the characters were saying.

Lastly,

That all being said, this book ended up ranking as an "Above Average" because dang if this wasn't one of the most fun books I've read in ages. David, you made me smile a lot because, despite the problems, I was having FUN reading it. Yes, other books have been fun and enjoyable, but they weren't necessarily FUN. I commend you!
OverlordSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 08:42 PM   #223
Lonemagpie
Writer

Fun's my aim in things like this... You thought it was fun, my job here is done!

Sure the scene transitions are quick and brutal, cos I'm trying to capture a TV-cutting feel to it. (yes, they're different media, but that makes it a fun challenge for me. Next time I'd do something different, cos I know you'd all be expecting this style now!)

I'm glad you liked Kat as well, she was fun to do. I know what you mean about Vol - basically he's there because there things I wanted to do with the species that didn't make it into Reservoir Ferengi. So now I've done it, and I've no plans to pitch anything bringing him back, though I'd be happy for anybody else to do so. Kat on the other hand, I'd love to do more with. (she is, after all, meant to be Kang's granddaughter)

As for the relationship bit... Well, we knew she's in his future from All Good Things, so...

Old April 24 2011, 11:52 PM   #224
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

ICW wrote: View Post
*Spoilers*

As it pertains to Scotty...I don't believe he is dead. I think we'll see a novel where he somehow escaped and is marooned somewhere (a planet? ship?) where he is healed and not on the brink of death.
Of course Scotty's not dead. He still has to cut the ribbon at the Montgomery Scott Engineering Sciences Building at Starfleet Academy on his 200th birthday in 2422 as per Engines of Destiny. That's the future I'm believing in at any rate.
Old April 25 2011, 08:07 PM   #225
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

It will be some other author's story to tell of his reappearance?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote