Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 21 2011, 08:26 PM   #256
wamdue
Admiral

Re: Lis Sladen

CBBC listings for saturday

KIDS DRAMA: The Sarah Jane Adventures
On: CBBC (70)
Date: Saturday 23rd April 2011 (starting in 1 day)
Time: 13:40 to 14:15 (35 minutes long)

The Day of The Clown (Part 1 of 2). Series 2, episode 2.
Children's drama series from the makers of Doctor Who, following the adventures of investigative journalist Sarah Jane Smith, a former companion to the Doctor. New girl Rani is haunted by a sinister clown - Could it be linked to the recent disappearances of several local children? When Clyde's friend also goes missing, Sarah Jane and the team are drawn towards a bizarre circus museum, and an old legend - Has the Pied Piper come to Bannerman Road?
(Stereo, Repeat, Followed by Newsround, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described)

Starring: Elisabeth Sladen, Tommy Knight, Daniel Anthony, Anjli Mohindra, Bradley Walsh, Mina Anwar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=132606

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Time: 14:15 to 14:45 (30 minutes long)

The Day of the Clown (Part 2 of 2). Series 2, episode 2.
Children's drama series from the makers of Doctor Who, following the adventures of investigative journalist Sarah Jane Smith, a former companion to the Doctor. Luke is taken by Spellman, and Sarah Jane has to confront her oldest fears to save him.
(Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described)

Starring: Elisabeth Sladen, Daniel Anthony, Tommy Knight, Anjli Mohindra, Bradley Walsh, Floella Benjamin

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=132606

Time: 15:35 to 16:05 (30 minutes long)

Secrets of the Stars (Part 1 of 2). Series 2, episode 3.
Children's drama series from the makers of Doctor Who, following the adventures of investigative journalist Sarah Jane Smith, a former companion to the Doctor. An astrologer attracts Sarah Jane's interest with his uncanny predictions. Earth is under threat - from the stars.

Starring: Elisabeth Sladen, Daniel Anthony, Tommy Knight, Anjli Mohindra, Russ Abbot, Alexander Armstrong

Time: 16:05 to 16:30 (25 minutes long)

Secrets of the Stars (Part 2 of 2). Series 2, episode 3.
Children's drama series from the makers of Doctor Who, following the adventures of investigative journalist Sarah Jane Smith, a former companion to the Doctor. Sarah Jane and the others infiltrate Trueman's circle as he takes over the population through their star signs.

Director: Michael Kerrigan
Starring: Elisabeth Sladen, Daniel Anthony, Tommy Knight, Anjli Mohindra, Russ Abbot, Alexander Armstrong

DOCUMENTARY: My Sarah Jane: A Tribute to Elizabeth Sladen
Time: 18:45 to 18:58 (13 minutes long)

Remembering actress Elizabeth Sladen.
(Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)

pretty sure the episodes were planned to air anyways, Sunday sees a repeat of The Mark of the Berserker and The Temptation of Sarah Jane Smith (the episode where she goes back in time to meet her parents)

That fills the 15 minute gap between Doctor Who & Doctor Who Confidentail, quite well.
Old April 21 2011, 09:02 PM   #257
Maestro
Vice Admiral

One of the reasons that people are so vocal and upset is because of the internet, but the other reason is that Elisabeth Sladen was a class act. From what I have read, people are almost more focused on her decency and kindness than on her part on Doctor Who. And not only was she a class act, but she portrayed Sarah Jane that way.

Humans can be base and vile creatures, but when it comes to the passing of someone so willing to be the best humanity has to offer, we too show the best of humanity in our response.
Old April 21 2011, 09:59 PM   #258
Lonemagpie
Writer

wamdue wrote: View Post
pretty sure the episodes were planned to air anyways,
Yep - they'd been included in trails for CBBC's Easter programming for two or three weeks already.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 11:07 PM   #259
wamdue
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
wamdue wrote: View Post
pretty sure the episodes were planned to air anyways,
Yep - they'd been included in trails for CBBC's Easter programming for two or three weeks already.
I dont normally have CBBC on my digiguide, so I added it to get those listings.
Old April 21 2011, 11:23 PM   #260
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

But its just a shame the tribute has to air after one of the shows worst episodes (IMO).
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 11:26 PM   #261
Mitty
Vice Admiral

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but here are more wonderful photos throughout her career. I love the ones in the TARDIS with Ten and K9.

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/fe...adio-times/01/
Old April 22 2011, 02:32 AM   #262
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Cutter John wrote: View Post
But its just a shame the tribute has to air after one of the shows worst episodes (IMO).
It looks like there's a two-hour gap between "Secrets of the Stars" and the tribute. And even if it was airing right before the tribute, nobody would be watching SJA because they'd all be watching Doctor Who on BBC1 anyways.
Old April 22 2011, 03:00 AM   #263
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

She can't be dead. She is the keeper of Eldrad and ELDRAD MUST LIVE!!!

Marc wrote: View Post
I'm actually rather impressed. I don't recall there ever being quite this much an outpouring of emotions from the fans and the media for any other Who actors death.
Probably because of her role in the SJA and still had the very current performances in Doctor Who.

When William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton passd away we didn't have the internet and both weren't involved with Doctor Who at the time.
Except that, when Troughton died, he was at a convention at the time.

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
And here in America, in Chicago at least, we saw so many repeats of the Tom Baker years, Liz was THE companion, even if her actual time on the show wasn't as long as it seemed.
Still, it was pretty long by Doctor Who standards. At just over 3 seasons, she eclipses Jamie, Jo, Tegan, & Romana as the longest running companion, though she wasn't around for quite as long as the Brigadier or K-9. And she had a run longer than most Doctors.

Considering we lost both Sladen & Courtney in such quick succession, I'm guessing that God has commissioned Barry Letts to write the most awesome 3rd Doctor story ever! We all get a free DVD copy of it when we die.
Old April 22 2011, 03:05 AM   #264
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

If you go by number of episodes and/or number of hours, Jamie beats Sarah Jane (I know because I made a spreadsheet on this a few years ago and posted in this forum). Sorry, minor nitpick.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 03:10 AM   #265
Turbo
Vice Admiral

Yeah, but that particular spreadsheet doesn't include Series 4 or SJA, or at least it didn't the last time I saw it. If I'm recalling the numbers correctly, "The Stolen Earth/Journey's End", "The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith" and "Death of the Doctor" put Sarah Jane over Jamie. Maybe.

Old April 22 2011, 03:22 AM   #266
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Emh wrote: View Post
If you go by number of episodes and/or number of hours, Jamie beats Sarah Jane (I know because I made a spreadsheet on this a few years ago and posted in this forum). Sorry, minor nitpick.
Really? Damn! I suppose the seasons were a lot longer back then. I guess this means there are even more missing Troughton episodes than I thought.
Old April 22 2011, 03:25 AM   #267
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post

Hmmm, it might be time to recalculate to take her later appearances with Ten and Eleven into account. And I assume you counted The Two Doctors?

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post

Except that, when Troughton died, he was at a convention at the time.
This is true, and I was there at the time (yeah I know, I've told that story before).
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old April 22 2011, 04:29 AM   #268
Australis
Writer

Considering we lost both Sladen & Courtney in such quick succession, I'm guessing that God has commissioned Barry Letts to write the most awesome 3rd Doctor story ever! We all get a free DVD copy of it when we die.
Hope this is true. And if it is, I hope one of you is piratical enough to d/l it for the rest of us when you get there.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 04:33 AM   #269
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Oh and speaking of dvd's, anyone know if she recorded any commentaries that have yet to be released? No doubt there'll at least be a lovely memorial on the next episode from her era that comes out.
Old April 22 2011, 04:39 AM   #270
Turbo
Vice Admiral

Oh and speaking of dvde's, anyone know if she recorded any commentaries that have yet to be released? No doubt there'll be a lovely memorial on the next episode from her era thats released.
There are four episodes from her era which haven't been released: Invasion of the Dinosaurs, Death to the Daleks, Terror of the Zygons, and The Android Invasion. Zygons and Daleks have both been confirmed as being in production, but I have no idea if that means she was able to record a commentary. Planet of the Spiders may be her last, but it was recorded years ago and also features Nick Courtney and Terrance Dicks, so anything is possible.

As for tributes, I'll bet they expedite The Android Invasion and release it as a two-pack with Terror of the Zygons to commemorate both Lis Sladen and Ian Marter.