Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 20 2011, 11:24 PM   #661
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

Hmm, when you crouch on a ladder you're supposed to hold position, not slide down. So that's new.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 11:48 PM   #662
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

No rain or snow yet.

This bed bug seriously needs to be fixed. The bedroom in Fort Jupiter was unusable, so I made a new bedroom further in the mountain, put a bed in the middle of the room and went to sleep... and woke up the next morning. Neat. Until the next night when I tried it again and got raped by a skeleton. I have had that base for 6 months and in that time not a single monster has spawned inside. Where is the logic in having them randomly show up now?

In less aggravating news, I realised that my attempts to time my rail stops were pointless because setting off from different stations meant that my cart was travelling at different speeds when arriving wherever. Instead I have come up with a latch system that resets when you hit a second button, which is much better. My electronics degree is finally proving itself worthwhile!
Old April 21 2011, 01:02 AM   #663
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Kimi3013 wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's been needed for ages. A random thing I found just now is that if you crouch when you're on a ladder, you slide down. Is that new or has it been there for ages?
I don't think you even have to crouch. Just step onto the ladder, hug the wall and slide down. Its how I've gotten up and down my mineshaft since the beginning.

Of course if you're feeling cocky and have a long ladder, you can just freefall then grab the ladder partway down. I make it down safely. Usually.

Ben - I think I managed to fix the bed problem. Just get rid of any nearby dirtblocks.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; April 21 2011 at 01:19 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 01:28 AM   #664
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Hey Robert, any chance I could get access to your server?
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 02:47 AM   #665
Kimi3013
Captain

Bleh, miss type by me. I meant:

A random thing I found just now is that if you crouch when you're on a ladder, you don't slide down. Is that new or has it been there for ages?

Sounds like it's been that way for ages and I never found out. My normal method travelling down is by gravity into a 3 deep pool of water at the bottom of a 1x1 drop shaft, and up is by boat moving floating up a waterfall. Only time I normally use ladders is when I'm making the boat-elevator in the first place so I've not had much practice with them to notice I guess.
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 02:52 AM   #666
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I discovered two new kinds of saplings today. There's the regular bright green one. Then there's a darker green (pine?). And a white one (blossom?). Oh, the wiki says oak (green), spruce/pine (dark green) and birch (white).

Last edited by Owain Taggart; April 21 2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old April 21 2011, 03:15 AM   #667
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Hey Robert, any chance I could get access to your server?
PM me your Minecraft username and I'll whitelist you and send you the appropriate info. My server is now running (vanilla) 1.5, in case you're wondering.
My blog
Old April 21 2011, 03:34 AM   #668
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I just had an amazing experience.

I was working on the redstone circuitry for one of my stations when it started to rain for the first time. The sun was about to set, but I didn't want to miss out on my first opportunity to experience rain by cowering from the monsters, so I set the game to peaceful and went for a walk.

By the time I reached my main base, the sun was starting to come up and I decided to see what snow was like, so I went into the Nether and exited at my snow biome. I walked around for a bit enjoying the calm when I realised that snow was also falling outside my snow biome, in land that had been generated before the Halloween update. So I entered that area and walked around as snow slowly accumulated around me in patches. I suddenly realised that I was witnessing a unique event, the birth of a snow biome, and that I would never experience this again. This can only happen in cold areas generated pre-biomes and this is the only such region I have.

Anyway, here's the money shot:

As you can see, the process isn't complete, the snow stopped after 6 or 7 minutes and it's very patchy in the north and east. Also, ice didn't form in the new region or in areas where I had broken it in the past. It seems to be connecting the small snowy region in the north with the large snowy region in the south, which means that I'll have a massive snow biome once the process is complete.
Old April 21 2011, 01:37 PM   #669
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Wow, that's awesome! I like how it tapers off around the edges. Very striking.
My blog
Old April 21 2011, 06:07 PM   #670
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Wow, that's awesome! I like how it tapers off around the edges. Very striking.
Yeah, snow didn't have much chance to land up there as I spent most of my time around the trap facility. All snow biomes should have borders like that.

The snow covers around 80% of the ground around the trap facility. It's kind of weird because I spent a lot of time around there while working on it and I'm familiar with the area, but now I have to get used to it being covered in snow.
Old April 21 2011, 06:24 PM   #671
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

So, a few weeks ago, I started playing Minecraft too.

After surviving my first few nights and digging holes into the ground, I decided to go for the big one right away.

My first real home on my first world:

The outside is built entirely out of obsidian. Inside, I used generic cobblestone, so I can actually see where I'm going in there.
I was quite lucky with the obsidian. Found a lavapatch on the surface not far from my spawnpoint, and a huge lavalake at the bottom of my mine.
That made up for about 2/3 of the tower. Got the remaining obsidian by using one of those obsidian generators that you can build.

After I was finished, I marveled at the view from above, when, suddenly, snow started to fall.
Imagine my surprise when I realised that I had built my version of Orthanc exactly on the border between a cold and snowy region and a warm, green landscape with rain.

The region behind the tower:

The region at the frontside:
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 07:08 PM   #672
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

That's a scary looking tower. Looks like a dark wizard would be living there
Old April 21 2011, 07:25 PM   #673
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

That tower is awesome as hell. I wish I'd built anything that cool. And man, it must suck if you accidentally place an obsidian block in the wrong spot...
My blog
Old April 21 2011, 07:44 PM   #674
Kimi3013
Captain

You should see me try and build just a simple portal, I spend about 10mins yelling at my constant miss clicks xD.
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 08:08 PM   #675
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post

My first real home on my first world:
You live in Isengard!
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote