Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 21 2011, 02:20 AM   #241
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo
Re: Lis Sladen

^ He has? I missed that.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 03:22 AM   #242
Samson88B
Lieutenant Commander

lurok wrote: View Post
Marc's answers notwithstanding, I think Sladen is rare in entertainment today in spanning multiple generations and being at the forefront of a highly popular current children's show with international appeal. Those factors combined, I'm not surprised at impact of her death.

I do think Baker will be sorely missed as and when (though hopefully not for many years to come)
I have to agree with another poster that mentioned the internet concerning Patrick and Jon as well as you.......The internet was not around in those days so the Docs passing was not something that was known to the general public - except for the UK....???? I hope Tom stays with us for a LONG time...I will not be able to handle any more....Then all of the cast that got me involved with Who will be gone...Yes im very nostalgic as are many on this board. Like a previous poster said....I am one of those 40 somethings that was hooked on Who because of the magic of Liz, Ian, and Baker...I am a fan of Who because of them...Not saying that Jon and Katy could not have hooked me but the trio of the 3 mentioned is what got me...

However...Liz was very active in the Who universe and as well as SJA so its hard to forget someone who is currently acting and fresh on everyone's mind. But most importantly....you are correct...she had the ability to bridge the gap and do things that not many actors can do....Like the comment that was made about her....Its not good to meet your hero...But she was an exception.

Last edited by Samson88B; April 21 2011 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Typo
Samson88B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 03:35 AM   #243
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 04:54 AM   #244
JRoss
Captain

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
EJA wrote: View Post
I think that they should just let it end. No other ex-companions turning up, no sidekicks taking centre stage. Lis is gone, and she was the show.
Yes, we know your opinion on this by now. Please take a break from this thread so we can pay tribute to Elisabeth Sladen.

Mr Awe
Not to distract too much from the tragedy, but consider that EJA is perhaps thinking the same thing that you are, Mr Awe, but in respect to those calling for the show to continue filming. His motivations are obviously out of respect for Mrs. Sladen's legacy, as I'm sure are those of the people supporting the position of continuing the show. Perhaps a moratorium on any sort of discussion of the show's future?
JRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 05:08 AM   #245
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

JRoss wrote: View Post
Perhaps a moratorium on any sort of discussion of the show's future?
Or at least brought to this thread on the very subject: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=140745
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 05:25 AM   #246
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Nicola Bryant also said a few words on twitter:

I'm so sorry to have to say I've just had a call to say Liz Sladen has died. It's too much to take in, but it's true. How tragically young.
Noel Clarke on twitter:

#SARAHJANESMITHLIVES because Elisabeth Sladen made her Great. -Liz, you were awesome and will be missed. (no more to be said tonight) NC
And John Barrowman is apparently so upset that he can't speak about it for a while:

wanted to let you know I got the news as a lot of you were concerned I'm off to chill I hope u understand. Will tweet this weekend in PS. jb

According to Barrowman's feed, his 9 year-old dog died of cancer the night before Lis, so he's probably doubly upset now.
Old April 21 2011, 07:43 AM   #247
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I just found out a little while ago and couldn't believe it, she was so wonderful and fun to watch. Fucking cancer.
Old April 21 2011, 08:30 AM   #248
VDCNI
Captain

Nice piece in the Guardian today

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...ne?INTCMP=SRCH

Elisabeth Sladen – who played probably the best-loved Doctor Who companion ever, Sarah Jane Smith – died on Tuesday. Like so many fans, I'm bereft.
Why was Sarah Jane so important? Doctor Who always had strong female characters, but unlike, for example, Zoe, the astrophysicist who lived on a space station, Smith was an attainable role model. An investigative journalist in modern-day Earth, her first appearance in the 1970s found her relentlessly pursuing a story – and refusing to make the Doctor a coffee. She was strong, funny and determined. And unlike some female companions before her, she didn't constantly trip, twist her ankle and scream "Doctor!"
The genius of Doctor Who is that the Tardis can travel anywhere in time and space – it can never run out of stories. The weakness is that there's always an escape route – why stay in the apocalyptic wasteland when you could be whisked away to a planet with a beach and cocktails? The answer is mostly character-led: the Doctor and his companions are driven by curiosity – and courage.
Elisabeth Sladen excelled in communicating that heart. Her Sarah Jane never lost her slight nerviness, the trembling lip that said maybe she'd prefer the beach-and-cocktails. She wasn't an action hero; she had to make the decision to be brave.
When Tom Baker's Doctor left her on a suburban street and she strolled off whistling merrily, the audience longed to know what happened next. When she returned in 2006 to Doctor Who, and her own show The Sarah Jane Adventures, we rejoiced – and hoped for many more years.
As I write this, I've just sent back the proofs of my first Doctor Who novel to the BBC. Selfishly, I'm mourning the fact that I'll never be able to write for Elisabeth Sladen. Along with many fans, I'll be donating to a cancer charity today, in her memory.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 09:24 AM   #249
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

My introduction to Doctor Who was Four, Harry and Sarah Jane.
Good-bye Sarah Jane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNrF9Lae2RY
Old April 21 2011, 11:11 AM   #250
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Flabbergasted, wishing it was not true.

Goodbye, Liz.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 11:12 AM   #251
lurok
Commodore

This is a great little interview with Lis from the years between Whos. Awful background music, but I think it's a fitting tribute to the intelligence of the actor as she's eloquent and insightful about meeting and working with Baker.

Old April 21 2011, 04:08 PM   #252
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Old April 21 2011, 04:30 PM   #253
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

23skidoo wrote: View Post
I just hope people don't get all snarky if Nicholas Courtney and Barry Letts aren't included.
I wouldn't have expected Barry to be included, as great and kind as the man was he had The Waters Of Mars dedicated to him in 2009.

As I only started with the show in 1988, it had ended before I really could savour it. So the first new Who to get excited was the Pertwee Radio stories in 1993 and 1996. Jon, Nick and Lis back together, scripted by Barry.

That Lis isn't around just seems wrong. Still I suppose it would have been worse for the gents had they outlived her.
Old April 21 2011, 04:50 PM   #254
Csalem
Commodore

Just heard about this now. Very sad. Will be watching School Reunion tonight.
Old April 21 2011, 07:25 PM   #255
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
23skidoo wrote: View Post
I just hope people don't get all snarky if Nicholas Courtney and Barry Letts aren't included.
I wouldn't have expected Barry to be included, as great and kind as the man was he had The Waters Of Mars dedicated to him in 2009.

As I only started with the show in 1988, it had ended before I really could savour it. So the first new Who to get excited was the Pertwee Radio stories in 1993 and 1996. Jon, Nick and Lis back together, scripted by Barry.

That Lis isn't around just seems wrong. Still I suppose it would have been worse for the gents had they outlived her.
....how do you think Tom feels? Well, actually, we know. Tom usually rambles a bit in his newsletters but with the posting about her death, he's clearly struggling (I think anyway) to put down all of what he's feeling.

Poor Tom

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote