Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 20 2011, 03:33 PM   #211
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan
Re: Lis Sladen

Rosalind wrote: View Post
oh boy, I managed to not cry through all the tribute pictures and videos, but these words from the Doctor got my tears rolling. Probably because I just spent the last few hours watching season 4 of SJA. Hearing SJS say "With a team like this, think I can go on... forever" at the end of the last episode just pulled my heart.
I just watched my first SJA episode, Death of the Doctor. It choked me up quite a few times.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 03:34 PM   #212
EJA
Fleet Captain

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Digital Spy has "broken" the news that the BBC is planning to run a tribute of some sort with the Series 6 premiere of Doctor Who this weekend:

http://www.digitalspy.ca/british-tv/...n-tribute.html

Alex
Good. I look forward to seeing that. Will it be something short shown straight after the episode, or will they film additional material for the episode that touches on it?
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 03:35 PM   #213
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/ne...isabeth_Sladen

Good bye, lovely Lady.
Old April 20 2011, 03:59 PM   #214
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

EJA wrote: View Post
Digital Spy has "broken" the news that the BBC is planning to run a tribute of some sort with the Series 6 premiere of Doctor Who this weekend:

http://www.digitalspy.ca/british-tv/...n-tribute.html

Alex
Good. I look forward to seeing that. Will it be something short shown straight after the episode, or will they film additional material for the episode that touches on it?
Annnd... Will it be shown in the US as well? I can't view the article thanks to the lovely, random firewalls on my office computer...
Old April 20 2011, 04:03 PM   #215
Jax
Admiral

She definitely needs some kind of tribute.
It would be nice if this episode starts off with some of the people who worked with her saying a few words about her before going into the actual episode. Then end the episode with the typical dedicated in memory of phrase typically seen in a show when someone connected to it has died.
Old April 20 2011, 04:05 PM   #216
Starkers
Admiral

I imagine it might be a dedication during or just before the titles. I seriously doubt they'll film extra bits to fit into the episode, besides Sarah Jane hasn't died, Lis Sladen has died, so the tribute should be to her

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 04:36 PM   #217
23skidoo
Admiral

Not in 2 days, with the cast travelling to promote the show.

It'll be an onscreen card, probably shown at the start since it wouldn't look right coming after the cliffhanger. Like they did with Verity Lambert.

Unless BBC America or Space actually make their own, I don't expect to see anything similar with them. There just isn't enough time, though I know BBCA is airing a one-hour special before the episode (don't know what Space is doing), so there's a chance you could see something there.

Frankly, I'm impressed the BBC is able to do anything at all, since it is only a few days before broadcast. Normally, once an episode is locked in, it's locked in. I wasn't expecting them to be able to do anything until Episode 3 at the earliest. Certainly adding "extra bits" is out of the question. The show's story arc is, again, locked in. And it would also deep-six the remaining episodes of SJA Series 5. A reference in a future season is possible (like how SJA acknowledged Ian Marter (Harry Sullivan), but unlikely.

I just hope people don't get all snarky if Nicholas Courtney and Barry Letts aren't included.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 04:57 PM   #218
EJA
Fleet Captain

I've just watched Lis with her young daughter on the documentary More than 30 Years in the TARDIS, where she's talking about how little Sadie's become a fan of the show. So sweet, so sad....
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 05:03 PM   #219
lurok
Commodore

The mass tributes at CBBC site from kids as young as five could melt the coldest of hearts:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/ne...00/9463099.stm

Here's just one example:

"I think Sarah Jane was a really good alien hunter and if the world had an alien invasion, Elisabeth would be the one to save us. I will miss Elisabeth loads and loads."

Morgan, 9, Isle of Wight, England
Old April 20 2011, 06:11 PM   #220
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

The one thing I noticed reading the messages from kids on the CBBC memorial page, was that a great many of those messages from kids include things like "I'll keep watching, but I'll never forget her" and "The Sarah Jane Adventures will never ever be the same without her", and others in a similar vein, most of which imply a belief/hope that the show will continue even without her.

Sure, there are a couple that say that they don't think the show should continue without Sladen, but by and large the vast majority seem to indicate that the show will/should go on.

And there are even a couple of entries like this one: "There's never going to be another Sarah Jane like Elisabeth." Not that there won't be other Sarah Jane Smiths, but that none of them will ever be as good as Sladen was in the role. It essentially implies an acceptance of the idea that there will be other/future Sarah Janes.Sounds to me like while kids will certainly miss Sladen, they're expecting a lot more adventures with Sarah Jane, even if that means accepting someone else in the role.
Old April 20 2011, 06:12 PM   #221
NickInABox
Captain

View NickInABox's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to NickInABox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NickInABox Send a message via Yahoo to NickInABox

But she was so gentle and sweet...
So goodbye, goodbye, goodbye
NickInABox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 07:03 PM   #222
Samson88B
Lieutenant Commander

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Oh man, like probably most classic Who fans, she was always my favorite, so I really don't know what to say. The strangest thing was that shes always been so youthful and energetic for a woman her age. She did an amazing job hiding her illness. I guess she just didn't want to upset the fans.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I was devastated to hear this....Like others have mentioned on this board....She was my first companion along with Harry Sullivan, and while some had a crush on Pincess Lea I had a crush on Sarah Jane. Not only did I have a crush on her but it was as if she was my friend. I could see myself going to talk to her about the most important things in my life. She was absolutely beautiful then and she ONLY GOT BETTER with age. Such a beautiful woman who was taken from us much to soon. 63 yrs is far too young of a age to go...

She was THE perfect companion and WILL never be forgotten. It was through her eyes that I experienced the joy of what it was like to travel in the TARDIS with the Doctor. I am so so so glad that she was brought back to the new series for her to reprise her role. Just image the pain we as fans would be feeling now if we would have never seen her again. For me it would be unbearable (not that it already isn't) to know that someone so dear to me and the world of Doctor Who was never brought back to the show again.

ART definitely imitated life because as an actress she brought so much power into the role of her character Sarah Jane. But in her character she was only portraying the dedicated, strong, and friendly woman that she was in real life. I never met her personally but from what many have said...She was just as charming in real life as SJS was in Doctor Who.

I have only seen the first season of the SJA, and although it was geared more towards children I still liked the show. In considering that she very well may have been sick during the filming of SJA and she had the strength to persevere for something she believed in, I believe that she would want the remaining episodes to be broadcasted. My DEEPEST condolences go out to her family and friends.

Elizabeth Sladen..Rest in peace my beautiful friend and dear companion....You will never be forgotten and sorely missed. Till we meet again.....
Old April 20 2011, 07:20 PM   #223
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Frankly, I'm impressed the BBC is able to do anything at all, since it is only a few days before broadcast. Normally, once an episode is locked in, it's locked in. I wasn't expecting them to be able to do anything until Episode 3 at the earliest.
This is 21st century, it shouldn't take 3 weeks to get something on the air!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 07:36 PM   #224
Samson88B
Lieutenant Commander

chardman wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

The show must go on for the fans(children) no doubt
No. Let it go, it's done now.
Sure. And if they'd done that with the parent series, Doctor Who would have ended when Hartnell opted to leave the role in 1966.

Look, if you can replace the lead character of one program nearly a dozen times without utterly destroying the integrity of that show, I see no problem whatsoever in successfully utilizing the very same device to replace the lead in a spin-off series.

Would it be horribly contrived?

You bet!

But no more or less so than it has been any of the other times its been utilized in any other part of the Whoverse,

Well I for one will not argue with you on that point....Its a very good one....Weather SJA should or should not go on? Who knows,one thing is for sure....Doctor Who as a series IS INCREDIBLY successful even though its lead character has now changed 11 times...So I see no reason if there was to be a trend where a show is based off of former Who companions that decided to take matters into their own hands and make the world they live in a better place to live.
Old April 20 2011, 07:43 PM   #225
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

chardman wrote: View Post
The one thing I noticed reading the messages from kids on the CBBC memorial page, was that a great many of those messages from kids include things like "I'll keep watching, but I'll never forget her" and "The Sarah Jane Adventures will never ever be the same without her", and others in a similar vein, most of which imply a belief/hope that the show will continue even without her.

Sure, there are a couple that say that they don't think the show should continue without Sladen, but by and large the vast majority seem to indicate that the show will/should go on.

And there are even a couple of entries like this one: "There's never going to be another Sarah Jane like Elisabeth." Not that there won't be other Sarah Jane Smiths, but that none of them will ever be as good as Sladen was in the role. It essentially implies an acceptance of the idea that there will be other/future Sarah Janes.Sounds to me like while kids will certainly miss Sladen, they're expecting a lot more adventures with Sarah Jane, even if that means accepting someone else in the role.
I'd attribute that to 2 factors:

A: The Doctor regenerating.
This sort of normalizes the replacement of the title characters. Although this is due to specific story elements but that might not matter much to the kids.

B:Normalization of reboots
If the kids are young then they've pretty much grown up with reboots and off-hand knowledge that other people played the roles in the past. (Even if they haven't seen them -- a parent saying, "Oh, I saw the old movies when I was your age!", and what not.)

As beloved as Liz was, though, I think people should respectfully avoid the topic of recasting for awhile...