Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 20 2011, 03:32 AM   #151
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo
Re: Lis Sladen

I...just...wow. Only 63. I don't think I can say anything which hasn't already been said.

Goodbye, Sarah Jane. One last time.

On second thought, I'd rather remember Sarah Jane with this (starting at 2:00).
Old April 20 2011, 03:34 AM   #152
Harry Palmer
Admiral

Damn just damn.
Old April 20 2011, 03:34 AM   #153
23skidoo
Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
^^ I don't know, I do have to agree that its probably best to let the show go after these last episodes are shown.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't love seeing Rani, Clyde and the others again someday. If only there were some mysterious traveller who could wisk them off to new adventures...
There are several ways the should could continue. Clyde and Rani have the charisma to carry a show on their own, carrying on from Sarah Jane. In retrospect, as it's apparently now known that Sladen's illness had been known by the powers that be for quite some time (listen to RTD's comments on the BBC report), that casts an entirely different light on the somewhat random - when you think about it - appearance by Katy Manning in Series 4.

Incidentally, aside from the six episodes of SJA to come, I just remembered there's also supposed to be a remastered/extended version of Downtime, the independent spin-off Lis appeared in back in 1995, coming out eventually. That's the one Sylvester McCoy reportedly filmed new scenes as the Doctor for a few months back. And I would imagine Big Finish will probably do something with their several seasons' worth of Sarah Jane audio dramas.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 03:44 AM   #154
TedShatner10
Commodore

Fucking hell, I want to throw up.

I was less shocked about Pete Postlethwaite dying after seeing him not looking too good in The Town, eighty somethings such as Leslie Nielsen and Nicholas Courtney passing away is sad but more expected, but a late middle aged Elizabeth Sladen who still seemed quite sprightly and not so old playing Sarah Jane Smith in recent years just passing away feels like it's in the same random, left-field WTF territory as Heath Ledger dying.
Old April 20 2011, 04:19 AM   #155
Neroon
Mod of balance

I watched "School Reunion" today, just for her. Not that it means much ... but it was nice to see that glint in Lis' eye......
Old April 20 2011, 04:23 AM   #156
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I watched "The Death of the Doctor" in tribute to her to see Lis one last time with the Doctor.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 04:31 AM   #157
Maestro
Vice Admiral

May the Timelords lead her into paradise, and may the perpetual light of the TARDIS shine upon her.
Old April 20 2011, 04:48 AM   #158
Mitty
Vice Admiral

View Mitty's Twitter Profile

If it's true that 1-4 and 11-12 of the new series were already filmed, I wonder if they possibly knew this might happen and so were preparing for it?
Old April 20 2011, 04:53 AM   #159
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Mitty wrote: View Post
If it's true that 1-4 and 11-12 of the new series were already filmed, I wonder if they possibly knew this might happen and so were preparing for it?
No one expected her to die so suddenly. Only a few people probably knew she had cancer.

The best possible scenario would have been that she completed the season while privately battling cancer.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 04:55 AM   #160
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Wow. Just... wow. This was completely out of left field.
"They quickly settled on the slender island at the head of the bay, which they called 'Mannahatta', after an old Indian word thought by some to mean 'island of hills', and by others 'place of general inebriation'."
—New York: A Documentary Film
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 05:26 AM   #161
O'Dib
Commodore

Sad
Old April 20 2011, 05:53 AM   #162
TimmyWl
Commodore

May she rest in peace.
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 06:16 AM   #163
Mitty
Vice Admiral

View Mitty's Twitter Profile

As if we needed any proof of how much she was loved, both "Elisabeth Sladen" and "Sarah Jane Smith" have been trending on twitter for some time.
Old April 20 2011, 06:27 AM   #164
Saul
Rear Admiral

Woke up to the news over here. Utterly shocked and saddened by this terrible news. Can't believe it. She was a wonderful lady, too young to go now. I don't think I am overstating it when I say she was one of Science Fiction's greatest characters.
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 07:30 AM   #165
captcalhoun
Admiral

shit....

i would think, if anything the S4 and 5 episode will be shown and that's your lot. i doubt the BBC would be so crass as to try casting a new actress as SJS or try replacing her with another ex companion.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote