New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 15 2011, 05:50 PM   #571
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile
Re: Minecraft

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
^^

There might be an above-ground lava source nearby (which is a VERY rare and neat occurrence). If there is, mark the location somehow and build a house around it.
I wandered for quite a while and found nothing, but when I returned after locating something else I found a lava flow coming out the side of a mountain. I also saw strange light sources on the ground, coming from nothing but still glowing.
I can't put out the forest fire, I've coated trees in water and come back to find floating fountains with a stump at the bottom. I'm a little worried it will reach my housing area, which is still very far away.

I did finally manage to find a snowy region on this map (I dumped my first map when I swapped computers, and found this map to be even more entertaining than the other.) I've been looking for one ever since I found out he was going to put snow in the game.

I built a mine all the way to the bottom of the map, like I always do, and I spent a good amount of time carving out a massive area around any lava pits, but the coolest thing I found was when I happened into a cavern that led all the way to the surface, directly outside my large mountain castle.

Last edited by Hoser; April 15 2011 at 06:06 PM.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 07:02 PM   #572
Kimi3013
Captain

Fire only burns when that chunk is loaded. So what you can do is run away from it, and when you're a few chunks away, leave the world and come back and keep running home. The fire won't load and you'll have time. Exit a few time to make sure (or use an editor to just move you away from it).

Then just make a fire break round your house.
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 09:31 PM   #573
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Kimi3013 wrote: View Post

Then just make a fire break round your house.
Thats what I was thinking. Start rounding up all the cobble you can.

Or stop playing until next weeks update and hope for rain.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 09:38 PM   #574
Kimi3013
Captain

Fire breaks are gaps, no building needed. Added bonus of getting a ton of wood.
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 10:32 PM   #575
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Aww guess you're right. I forgot grass doesn't burn.

Meanwhile at my place, the Children of the Great Pumpkin continues to grow. I'm getting nervous.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; April 16 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old April 16 2011, 12:24 AM   #576
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

I managed to stop the fire, there was a decent sized plain in between that forest and mine but for a large stand of trees, I covered that area in water until the fire burned out. Now that area is a large plain full of ghost lights....

Oddest thing. I find that if I dig in one, the light completely disappears.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2011, 12:40 AM   #577
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

Here's the latest on my house, which is rapidly turning into a castle. I've added a western wing and a new tower (in back), and I'm beginning to wall off a courtyard. Didn't really feel like spending twenty minutes quarrying, though, so I've left it incomplete for now.

Old April 16 2011, 12:52 AM   #578
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Hoser wrote: View Post
I managed to stop the fire, there was a decent sized plain in between that forest and mine but for a large stand of trees, I covered that area in water until the fire burned out. Now that area is a large plain full of ghost lights....

Oddest thing. I find that if I dig in one, the light completely disappears.
Weird. I've seen the opposite happen when I'm cutting down trees, as the leaves decay they sometimes leave shadows on the ground as though they were still there. They tend to go away if I leave the area and come back. Perhaps it has something to do with the new lighting system?

Speaking of light, most of the major work on my village is complete, all buildings are finished and torches are in place. I still need to raise the walls on my fortress and the town walls, I need to redirect the stream near Impossible Falls so that it flows out to sea (something I meant to do ages ago) and build a path around the other side of town, then work in that area will be complete. But I just had mcmap make me a map of my world at night to see what it's like, and this is what it came up with:

My world is brighter than North Korea. It looks like everything behind the town walls should be bright enough to stop monsters spawning, now I just need to find enough coal to light up the rest of my world.
Old April 16 2011, 02:54 AM   #579
Iasius
Rear Admiral

I've been working on my own little single player map lately. I've got lots of resources:

But I think I want to start a larger project now. I'm open to any ideas.

A few more pics of my world:

Here's my beach house, the first building I constructed, slightly enlarged and it now leads down to the above storage/smelting area and also connects to a tunnel to my main mining complex:

Right in front of it is a mooring berth.

I have a tree farm, a wheat farm and constructed some roads by now.

Finally, a general overview.

Any suggestions? I've been thinking about building a nice and large residence for myself somewhere, but I don't really know what it should look like.
Old April 16 2011, 07:46 AM   #580
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Where do you people find the time to build all these elaborate houses? Mine is still pretty much a cobblestone shack (albeit a floating one) compared to your (multiple) living spaces.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2011, 01:55 PM   #581
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Well done Iasius. And I love that texture pack. Sadly my pc doesn't quite have the horsepower to handle one of those ultra high rez packs.

Itisnotlogical - I don't know about these guys, but I put in a few hours each day working in my world. Its just that addictive.

Spent a few hours on Roberts server today. Cooool! It has some great scenery. You guys need to try it out!
Old April 16 2011, 03:15 PM   #582
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Thought I'd share a map of our private server that me and a few buddies have together. http://www.datacoach.com/minecraft/
Old April 16 2011, 03:48 PM   #583
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

That's some awesome stuff you got there! I like!
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2011, 08:25 PM   #584
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
Where do you people find the time to build all these elaborate houses? Mine is still pretty much a cobblestone shack (albeit a floating one) compared to your (multiple) living spaces.
Building stuff is pretty much my main focus. When I'm working on a castle or a house, I pretty much go and spend time gathering materials, and then come back and use six or seven stacks of cobblestone. Then I start all over again.
Old April 16 2011, 11:36 PM   #585
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

After arduous effort collecting all that cobblestone, I have FINALLY rebuilt my house, now fireproof thanks to the magic of cobblestone:

I have also fixed my lava room, so hopefully I won't have any more accidents... like the one that made me have to rebuild my house in the first place:

I should have made the back a full square of glass, but I didn't really feel like a trip down to the nearest beach. Maybe I'll shave off the excess cobblestone so that it at least looks like it's supposed to be rounded at the back.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote