Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 2 2011, 08:39 PM   #16
Jetfire

Re: World Of Warcraft?

^
That is pretty cool Showdown.

I re-downloaded it again. I purchased vanilla many years ago and have that under my main account...have done a few trials of BC but I really haven't taken advantage of BC and hopefully later in the month I can fully upgrade to BC & WoTLK...which of course haven't taken advantage of that either. The plan is get BC & WoTLK and hopefully after that do a trial of CAT once I have exhausted trials of everything else. I am currently back to a trial of BC...so I will play that until it runs out and not to long after get full BC & WoTLK. I know I am behind a bit. It should give me something to do for a month.

Last edited by love like winter; April 3 2011 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Wrath Of The Lich King...With W not R lolz
Old April 4 2011, 11:55 PM   #17
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Jetfire wrote: View Post
I have generally enjoyed the game and when I can play(pay for a month) make the most of it...I enjoy the races and the lore...my question is; Should Blizzard rebuild WOW from the ground up as a new game? Instead of just adding expansions on top of expansions. I don't know what the future of WOW is so forgive if there is news and info making this thread irrelevant.
I'm one of those playing Rift. Rift has some enhancements over WoW but the major thing for me is that it feels like I imagine vanilla WoW must have felt- everything in it is something new to explore.

I bought Cata the day it was released and leveled one toon to 85 and then I basically never played again. This is from someone who has 6 level 80s during Wrath.

This might sound weird but I think part of what killed the fun for me in WoW is having too many options? Or too many developed options. Let me clarify that. Do I go for end game raiding? Do I level up my alts? Which alt do I level up? Do I roll a goblin to check out the new starter zones? It got to the point where I was spending so much time thinking about these things that it took a lot of the fun and spontaneity out of the game for me. Whereas with Rift I just log in and play my ONE character.

Then there are the many changes from late Wrath and early Cata that I disagreed with- like the Dungeon Finder, which I liked at first but then seemed to start a snowballing trend of anti-social behavior which has only gotten worse- to the decision in Cataclysm to make raiding only for serious people again. I for one liked being able to face-roll Naxx in quest blues without putting too much time or effort into it.

Then there's the fact that I have somewhere between 100 - 200 days /played across 6 toons ... think I may have just played myself out.

I'm not at all certain if I'll be switching to the Star Wars MMO when it comes out or not. Something about the idea of 40 lightsaber-wielding jedis taking down a raid boss just seems ridiculous to me. That and the only thing I know Bioware from is Baulder's Gate which I never got the appeal of. Yes, I realize I am in a tiny minority, most people love Bioware.
Old April 10 2011, 01:03 AM   #18
Jetfire

Something that needs to happen and probably won't is find some way to get more traffic to the Draenei & Blood Elf starting & surrounding areas. Silvermoon is a ghost town most of the time and it is probably my favorite city next to Darnassus...which is also empty most of the time.

I despise Stormwind & Orgrimmar.
Old April 14 2011, 03:58 AM   #19
sojourner
Admiral

^That's easy, just add what those cities are missing, zone portals (this mostly), barbershops, etc...
Old April 14 2011, 09:09 PM   #20
Jetfire

^ True.

I think I can work out something and as I explained before I am behind with the upgrades...but I am getting BC & WoTLK...but do BC first and do a 10 day trial of WoTLK and then upgrade to WoTLK and do a 10 day trial of CAT??? I just exhausted my trial of BC. The only other thing I can do this month is BC & a $30 game card. Thoughts? I don't know if they come with 30 day free game play.
Old April 15 2011, 02:27 AM   #21
Mantiscare
Rear Admiral

Jetfire wrote: View Post
^ True.

I think I can work out something and as I explained before I am behind with the upgrades...but I am getting BC & WoTLK...but do BC first and do a 10 day trial of WoTLK and then upgrade to WoTLK and do a 10 day trial of CAT??? I just exhausted my trial of BC. The only other thing I can do this month is BC & a $30 game card. Thoughts? I don't know if they come with 30 day free game play.
They don't; that only comes with the original. :/
Old April 15 2011, 02:55 PM   #22
Leroy
Fleet Captain

The question is does Rift have long term staying power? Rift may have a lot of ex-WoW players now but will they have close to this many people 6 months from now? a year? for an expansion? Warhammer online remember had close to a million subs too and now they are down to a meagre 2 servers!
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 04:15 AM   #23
teacock
Admiral

I started playing WoW in BC and played steadily until about January this year. I felt like I had finished Cata and everything was annoying me. They nerfed the stuff that was most important to me and the potentially huge waste of time the game was really started to get to me, especially as stuff I had spent weeks grinding became super easy. I know it's a cliche but everything getting easier and easier was just death to me.

But. In the last couple weeks I have been really missing my character. I loved my main and I'm thinking I will just play again for a bit, just mess around making gold and maybe doing the boring-ass arch just so I can hang out in Azeroth on my orc again. It's like if I never play again I never get to see this favorite character.. which of course will be the case the day WoW disappears forever.

And I'm definitely playing the SW game when it comes out. My kid has been playing Star Trek online and much as I love Star Trek that game looks boring as all crap. I never wanted to be a captain and I certainly don't want to play one in a game. Everything about the SW one excites me.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 04:28 AM   #24
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I agree with you. The lack of difficulty in the game makes it dull and the higher difficulty in the heroics makes it tough to find a group that knows what they're doing. And the group finder tool is obnoxious, especially as a DPSer (my main is a rogue, my alt a ret pally). But I've really been hankering to go back myself after cancelling in February this year. And archaeology is SO boring, with minimal rewards for it.

Star Trek is exactly as boring as it looks and I even gave it another try this February.

Star Wars is going to be fantastic. I think people are vastly underestimating Bioware's ability to make a fun, competitive game. I'm not claiming it's a WoW killer, but I bet it's competitive.
Old April 19 2011, 04:38 AM   #25
teacock
Admiral

Well I have no intention of paying for two MMO's so it will be a WoW killer for me, for a time at least.

I know Arch is dull but there is a great weapon for DPS Melee you can get.. and I will be able to just tool around visiting old world and chatting in guild, LOL.

I'm going to nag mairbeariepie to play with me, it's kind of fun running someone through stuff.

STO did have a lot of character creation as far as how they look but.. I think the characters have less possible development as they are all captains. No rogues there. Being able to have a really long neck doesn't exactly make up for that. And the whole thing is very monotone, not much color oddly.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 19 2011, 11:07 AM   #26
teacock
Admiral

Logged on again tonight for the first time since January. My account was frozen. No idea why, couldn't find any notices about it that weren't spam. Everything was there though.

eh.. I think I need someone to play with somene who finds it all exciting again.

I also read up on Rift and watched all the videos. Uhh.. what does this remind me of.. geez. If they have a trial at some point I will have a go at it though having only one race not in WoW is kind of weird.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne

Last edited by teacock; April 19 2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old April 19 2011, 01:11 PM   #27
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Seriously, Rift is WoW. I played the beta and couldn't justify it. If I was getting tired of playing WoW, why would I go play a WoW that looks worse (IMO).
Old April 20 2011, 12:22 AM   #28
teacock
Admiral

I was amused watching the Rift videos how the developers kept saying excitedly about all these cool things in the game as though they were some great game development and they were all in WoW.

I'm running around Dal right now, can't think of a thing to do. I think I will go for some more RP goals for a while.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 20 2011, 07:55 PM   #29
Jetfire

I hardly get to play WoW and hopefully will be back on next week. I wish I could upgrade up to CAT. Getting through BC should be enough for the moment...then hopefully WoTLK.
Old April 21 2011, 02:20 AM   #30
teacock
Admiral

I still love BC best. The zones, the story lines, the hilarious and dramatic gear. I have a bank full of that stuff. You are in for a treat, the dungeons are very colorful and diverse. Lots of humor too.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne