Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 13 2011, 03:55 PM   #556
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Minecraft

I can't imagine lightning would set things on fire. It doesn't make the game any more fun, and it would forbid from building anything out of wood or wool, lest it go up in flames with the next storm. At a minimum, if Notch wants lightning to start fires, then he should add a lightning rod recipe to stick at the highest point of your wooden house.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 07:23 PM   #557
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

^^ Yeah, I don't see it either. That would be seriously game breaking.

Ben - I didn't mean religious crosses so much, more like large plus signs. Just a thought.
And wait. Rationing coal? Thats one I've never heard of. I usually end up with so much I just ignore it after a couple of days.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 10:38 PM   #558
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

I've not worried about coal since the introduction of charcoal. I'll cook a stack of logs with a stack of planks and be all good for a long time.

Also, on lightning, I think he said something about rain putting out any open fires, so I doubt lightning strike fires would matter.

Last edited by Hoser; April 13 2011 at 11:03 PM.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2011, 01:05 AM   #559
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Weird. I was looking at the Minecraft Wiki crafting page and there are currently many blank recipes. I have to wonder if someone's messing things up:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2011, 01:07 AM   #560
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

They all look fine to me, and there haven't been any changes since the 10th.
Old April 14 2011, 01:14 AM   #561
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

^^ Same here. Maybe the page just didn't load all the way?

Personally I've always found all the empty slots in the texture pack quite interesting (theres also a lilypad texture). Theres tons of room for expansion there.

Dang, looks like 1.5 has been pushed back to next week.

I had a happy. It gone now.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old April 14 2011, 01:48 AM   #562
Kimi3013
Captain

The texture file's size means nothing. It's just convenient to be able to work on them all in the same file, and having the extra spots there is a by product of working in square canvas to begin with. It could just as easily have been a folder with a ton of separate images that just have one tile of the current system.
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2011, 02:04 AM   #563
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

Yeah, Minecraft is actually more limited by the number of block IDs than the textures.
Old April 14 2011, 02:52 AM   #564
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
^^ Same here. Maybe the page just didn't load all the way?

Nope, cause I reload the page and empty the cache and it's the same thing.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2011, 04:48 AM   #565
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
And wait. Rationing coal? Thats one I've never heard of. I usually end up with so much I just ignore it after a couple of days.
I haven't had to worry about my coal supply for a long time, but over the last few weeks it has been dwindling slowly. It began with my road/bridge over to my monster trap which required a lot of smooth stone, then I had to cook up some glass for another underwater tunnel, now I'm placing so many torches in my village that I fear I'll run out and need to start mining again.

Charcoal isn't an option either as all the wooden huts I'm building are taking all the wood I'm cutting down. I spent over half an hour today chopping down trees and came back with 6 stacks of logs, but that was all used up in about an hour.

I should have it finished by the weekend, then I think I might focus on Mount Vulcan and the completion of my rail-line to Bartlet Cove. I started that back in October so it is kind of embarrassing that it's still a WIP. With the release of proper boosters next week, now seems like a good time to finish the job.
Old April 14 2011, 10:23 AM   #566
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I'm currently building what I'm calling my "great western highway"; a lava floor lit road, six blocks wide, about ten to fifteen blocks above sea level and equipped with two lanes of railway with the intent of creating a fast and safe path to a new biome. I'd already explored the world for quite a ways prior to the Beta release so this is a huge push out to virgin lands, hopefully with pumpkins and that blue ore stuff. Needless to say it's seriously taxed my glass and coal reserves, eaten three diamond pickaxes (I tunnel straight through the mountains) and involved countless trips back and forth the the nether (a portal to which I conscientiously placed at the Fort Binky terminus) with buckets and buckets of lava.

Fortunately, the tunnelling through the mountain part provided enough extra iron, coal and cobblestone but wood is becoming an issue. See, I went and stored some lava in a pit a little too close to the forest of trees I'd planted in preparation and...well...the forest isn't there any more. On the up side, as you can see on this map I'm getting close to snow, and the edge of the explored world so hopefully I'll be able to finish it!

Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 03:59 AM   #567
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

I just saw a completely random forest fire. I can't think of anything that started it, but nothing would stop it. I saw fire going up hills to get to trees.....

So I wandered around picking up chops and feathers....
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 04:07 AM   #568
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

^^

There might be an above-ground lava source nearby (which is a VERY rare and neat occurrence). If there is, mark the location somehow and build a house around it.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 06:40 AM   #569
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Going back to reply to some things I meant to cover sooner.
Canadave wrote: View Post
I swear I become ADD when I play Minecraft, these days. My thought process in MP this afternoon was "MAKE A WATERFALL! NO EXPLORE! STOP AND BUILD A HUT! NO A FENCE AND A BRIDGE! COME BACK AND WORK ON CASTLE! GO MINE! MINE MINE MINE!"
Oh lord tell me about it. I was walking out to look for sheep yesterday and passed by the giant waterfall by my house and said to myself "Self, I bet a pathway behind the waterfall would be really cool. Soon the pathway turned into a small room with walls made of water. Then a second room. Then before I knew it, I was building a spiral staircase up through the mountain and back to the yard outside my treehouse with a nice little railing around it. Ugh. It just never stops.

Hoser wrote: View Post
I mostly build stuff so my son can run around inside and do whatnot to it. He's burnt down the pirate ship I've built him several times....I just finished off a tunnel to an undersea dome facility. I can't wait to see him drown it.

Today was a day of slimes. I've never seen them before, then today as I exited a monster trap area I came acrossed a herd of the little guys. I wish I could make them pets.
Thats one of the things I love about this game. Its apropriate for all ages. I hope you've got your game backed up so you don't have to keep rebuilding that ship.

Yeah, I have a couple of slimes down in my mine. The smaller ones are okay, but the huge ones pack quite a punch. They're fine unless there are lava pools around that they can bump you into.

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
^^

There might be an above-ground lava source nearby (which is a VERY rare and neat occurrence). If there is, mark the location somehow and build a house around it.
I have a couple of those on my current map. Just friggin cool. One is a huge pool. The other is flowing out of a cliffside into the water.

Last edited by Cutter John; April 15 2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old April 15 2011, 02:59 PM   #570
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
I'm currently building what I'm calling my "great western highway"; a lava floor lit road, six blocks wide, about ten to fifteen blocks above sea level and equipped with two lanes of railway with the intent of creating a fast and safe path to a new biome.
Cool, a luxury railway line. I'm just about arsed enough to put gravel under my single rail-track, the idea of a 6 meter-wide track with lava and glass is mind-blowing for me.

Notch has announced that ladders will be fixed, so there'll be no more gaps, but the crafting recipe will now give you two ladders, so it's the same difference. (Except I'll have to fix all my currently existing ladders.) He has also said that he'll fix the side-grass issue so that it's no longer the pre-biome light green. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but it sure took him long enough. I always had difficulty determining what biome I was in while in a boat as I could only see the sides of the grass. The fact that all my trees look diseased since that update in January only made it harder.