TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Carrie Underwood
Thumbs Up 49 52.69%
Thumbs Down 16 17.20%
Thumbs Sideways 28 30.11%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 12 2011, 11:15 PM   #61
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Carrie Underwood: Babe of the week #15 (Apr. 2011)

This is a Celebrity Babe of the Week Thread. We're dealing with professional babes, not neighborhood babes, and they should be judged accordingly. It's like anything else. In the Olympics, most of the competitors lose; but none of us here would be any match for the worst of them.

Of course, my tastes run more toward the neighborhood babes, anyway.
Old April 12 2011, 11:26 PM   #62
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

You know in all seriousness, I can't really wrap my mind around the concept that a certain gal isn't really hot simply because there might be another gal similar looking or better looking. And this is why I'm struggling with these "generic" comments. It seems almost as if that's the standard we're going to apply, are hardly any of these "babes" worthy of a "thumbs up?"

I'm guessing I'm saying I don't "grade on a curve."
Everybody has an ideal, whether they realize it or not. You have to or you can't properly determine hotness on any scale. It's not about grading on a curve. In your mind, Carrie Underwood is hot according to some standard. You just aren't conscious of it. You see her as hot, period.

I have a standard. I compare every woman to the ones I consider the Hottest on The Planet (a list they're not even considered for if they're not brunette) followed by the Hottest of the Rest, followed by Generally hot, followed by "Women People keep telling me are Hot but I just don't see it." For me, Carrie Underwood falls somewhere in between the last two categories.

-Tom Clancy

Last edited by Admiral2; April 13 2011 at 06:16 PM.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 01:51 AM   #63
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

True. People judge differently. I approach each new "babe" differently, in that I evaluate her on her own merits, and that includes physical beauty, intelligence, and personality, not in that order. I also keep in mind that were these women ever to evaluate me, I would hope they'd employ similar methods. I always feel that I cannot judge someone unless they are free to judge me in the same manner. So when I make my comments, they are completely truthful, without any comparison against another.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 02:36 AM   #64
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
You know in all seriousness, I can't really wrap my mind around the concept that a certain gal isn't really hot simply because there might be another gal similar looking or better looking. And this is why I'm struggling with these "generic" comments. It seems almost as if that's the standard we're going to apply, are hardly any of these "babes" worthy of a "thumbs up?"

Everybody has an ideal, whether they realize it or not. You have to or you can't properly determine hotness on any scale. It's not about grading on a curve. In your mind, Carrie Underwood is hot according to some standard. You just aren't conscious of it. You see her as hot, period.

I have a standard. I compare every woman to the ones I consider the Hottest on The Planet (a list they're not even considered for if they're not brunette) followed by the Hottest of the Rest, followed Generally hot, followed by "Women People keep telling me are Hot but I just don't see it." For me, Carrie Underwood falls somewhere in between the last two categories.
I don't think we're on same page. IF I understood a previous post, you seemed to be suggesting that Carrie Underwood is a sideways in your world because there are a "bazillion other blondes" out there, some of which are much hotter.

For me, that's irrelevant. She is or she isn't hot/pretty/whatever based on her merits alone, not how she stacks up against the other "bazillion blondes." Are some of them pretty than her? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean she's not pretty in her own right.

But again I say "different strokes for different folks." There is no right or wrong answer, we just look at things different.
Old April 13 2011, 09:15 AM   #65
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post

To me "generic" doesn't mean she looks like a million other equally hot chicks. To me generic means she fits with what our society generally considers beautiful features, but nothing about her stands out to my own specific personal idea of attractive. When I see this week's BOTW, I don't see anything wrong with her at all, but I also don't notice any particular feature about her that I personally find hot. I see a pretty girl with good makeup, a good hair stylist, and nice lighting that makes her look good.
If I don't find one of these babes of the week hot, it doesn't mean my standards are higher, it just means my preference is different, and not what media always shows us as the "babe". I tend to prefer "cute" rather than "hot" anyway.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 12:06 PM   #66
Scout101
Admiral

That's all well and good, until you read the comments that go with the 'thumbs down' votes. Usually variations on 'ugly, no thanks, or wouldn't do her if you paid me'. Not quite the same sentiment as you're expressing
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 12:13 PM   #67
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

Fair point. Maybe they're exaggerating (this is the internet, after all so that wouldn't surprise me), although just because she's a celebrity doesn't mean everyone has to find her attractive, and you can't argue objective beauty. What you find hot, others may find ugly, and vice versa.
And I think everyone is going to use a different measuring stick for rating a random celebrity, and if it was a real person in their life.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 03:54 PM   #68
Scout101
Admiral

Fair enough. Which is why, I suppose, I really only participate in these threads when it's more of a bracket-style playoff thing, pitting them against each other, rather than the one at a time deal. In that setting, you can look at the two, try to weigh them and decide on a favorite, which does it for you, etc.

Doing it individually seems pointless, as they are ALL fairly hot, that's how they made it there in the first place. At worst, IMO, should be the sideways vote for those that, while decent looking, just don't do it for you. Only time I've ever voted down is for someone who's REALLY out there, and I just don't "get" whatever is supposed to be hot about them. Someone like Dita Von Teese, for example, i just don't understand.

Only point I'd contest, i guess, is while one of these girls might not "do it" for you, it's beyond a stretch to really call any of them ugly. That's where I was questioning some of those votes, and what those people must see on a daily basis to call one of these girls (Carrie Underwood, in this example) boring washed-out trash. Sorry, no. Of course, that leads back to really just Up or Sideways as voting options, which is kinda boring, but as I see the whole thing as kinda pointless anyway, not sure where to go with it.

Like I said, the only versions of this that make sense are the contests where they're pitted against each other, as you can decide one way or the other on which works better FOR YOU, rather than trying to hold them to some random, ridiculous standard that don't even pass the smell test...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 05:16 PM   #69
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Someone like Dita Von Teese, for example, i just don't understand.
She can look pretty good when she's not overdoing the burlesque look or wearing super tight corsets.

Pic #1
Pic #2
Pic #3

Sorry for getting off topic.

So... How about that Carrie Underwood? I wonder how people would have reacted if the thread title was "Carrie Fisher".
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2011, 06:15 PM   #70
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post

I have a standard. I compare every woman to the ones I consider the Hottest on The Planet (a list they're not even considered for if they're not brunette) followed by the Hottest of the Rest, followed Generally hot, followed by "Women People keep telling me are Hot but I just don't see it." For me, Carrie Underwood falls somewhere in between the last two categories.
I don't think we're on same page. IF I understood a previous post, you seemed to be suggesting that Carrie Underwood is a sideways in your world because there are a "bazillion other blondes" out there, some of which are much hotter.
Not "out there", just in Entertainment, where all the BOTW candidates come from. Other than that, yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Oh, and it's "bajillion." Bazillion's another order of magnitude entirely.

For me, that's irrelevant. She is or she isn't hot/pretty/whatever based on her merits alone, not how she stacks up against the other "bazillion blondes." Are some of them pretty than her? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean she's not pretty in her own right.
But that determination is made based on an unconscious standard you have, not the conscious one I have. There's still an evaluation being made.

But again I say "different strokes for different folks." There is no right or wrong answer, we just look at things different.
Um...yeah, I think we agreed to that a couple posts ago...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2011, 12:11 AM   #71
OwN
Lieutenant Junior Grade

up up and away
OwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2011, 08:24 AM   #72
Jetfire

No clue for the next BoW?
Old April 14 2011, 08:30 AM   #73
BigFoot
Admiral

I could post it... but I won't.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2011, 09:00 AM   #74
Aragorn
Admiral

Hint for the next BOTW (don't answer if you know):

Everybody wants to live
Like they wanna live
And everybody wants to love
Like they wanna love
And everybody wants to be
Closer to free
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2011, 02:35 PM   #75
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^
Lyrics, I'm going to have to google. I can't get the tune right enough in my head to go from just that.

*check*

Thumbs UP!!! I honestly have no urge to see this movie at the present but her pic in the latest EW was very nice!!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote