A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 8 2011, 10:46 PM   #496
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Re: Minecraft

^^

It's not possible to precisely choose a climate, but world seeds can make it a bit more likely that you'll spawn in a world with similar features to any other world generated using that seed.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2011, 11:42 PM   #497
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Try the 'Gargamel' seed I've been using. It has snow, rain forest, ocean, and desert within a fairly close proximity.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2011, 02:51 AM   #498
Peak
Fleet Captain

A small preview of Beta 1.5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy882ILYJMM

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2011, 03:09 AM   #499
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Yeah, I've heard it's going to be released later this month. I'm hoping there's some Nether-centric achievements, like pushing a Zombie Pigman into the lava, because it seems like there really isn't much to do in that place.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Old April 9 2011, 03:12 AM   #500
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Try the 'Gargamel' seed I've been using. It has snow, rain forest, ocean, and desert within a fairly close proximity.
I agree, that's an awesome seed, and in fact it's the one my server uses.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2011, 03:13 AM   #501
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; April 9 2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old April 9 2011, 04:50 AM   #502
Steven
Admiral

Peak wrote: View Post
A small preview of Beta 1.5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy882ILYJMM
I like how it was snowing on one block and raining on the one immediately next to it...
Old April 9 2011, 06:46 AM   #503
XwarlokX
Lieutenant

1.5 Seems like its going to add some pretty cool features to the game. I really dig the weather effects, and the achievements as well.

I haven't really looked into the piston mod, but if it adds new things to the game I could see that being a big bonus as well.

I seriously need to join a good MP server, SP is starting to get a little bland. I'm building all sorts of structures, cart tracks and etc...but it gets a bit boring being the only one "doing" anything in the world.
XwarlokX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2011, 09:20 AM   #504
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I wonder...does anyone else think it would be a good idea for lightning strikes to turn sand blocks to glass? On the other hand, consistency may demand that strikes cause fires too...would could end in fiery death for any tree and then you'd have a forest fire...hmm...maybe not then...unless the new rain can put out fire?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2011, 03:01 PM   #505
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I think Notch has said that rain will make fires go out, which means I'll have to put some sort of roof over my chimney. He said that it wont turn lava into cobblestone or obsidian as that would ruin any surface lava.

Was anyone else worried that when he broke the snow in that video, it didn't drop a snowball? I fear now that he has fixed returning snow, snow itself wont work. Hopefully not.

It's odd, I've been waiting for snow to fall for 6 months, but now that it's about to happen I'm upset that pistons aren't being included in the same update. Those things look awesome, I already have a plan for a piston-powered elevator.

^^ Wolves are pretty rare unfortunately. I've played a lot this past week and only seen three total. But then I also don't tend to wander far from my mountain.
Wow. Just yesterday I saw 4 wolves spawn right outside my castle. I must be really lucky because wolves are spawning out there every day.
Old April 9 2011, 08:30 PM   #506
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Ok, that does look pretty awesome. Have to wonder though if it will slow things down some, as in the video, it doesn't look like he's walking very fast. Seems a little slower than usual. I do like seeing water refreeze though. That's awesome. I wonder if that means you could freeze things, like what if you dropped something in the water, only to have it freeze within a block of ice?

Hey, that gives me an idea. Potentially, you could have things that could rot if not under refrigeration, like eggs and meat, which would attract undesirables if they rot... Which leads me to my idea... Wonder if refrigerators would be possible as appliances like the stove and the workshop in the future. It kind of makes more sense to store those in fridges than say, chests.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2011, 09:16 PM   #507
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Oh my God. Now that snow returns, I can make a custom Arthas skin and Icecrown Glacier... and The Frozen Throne... with the DokuRPG texture pack...

Old April 9 2011, 11:45 PM   #508
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post

^^ Wolves are pretty rare unfortunately. I've played a lot this past week and only seen three total. But then I also don't tend to wander far from my mountain.
Wow. Just yesterday I saw 4 wolves spawn right outside my castle. I must be really lucky because wolves are spawning out there every day.
Lucky bastard. I guess I just live in the wrong part of the map (rainforest adjoining a desert). But I'll be damned if I'm going exploring. I got cocky and decided to go on a wool quest out into the wilderness earlier today without leaving a trail. Ran into a wandering midday Creeper and lost a bunch of good stuff.

Last edited by Cutter John; April 10 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old April 9 2011, 11:59 PM   #509
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

^^

You think you've got it bad? I tried building a glass-only lava incinerator, and the entire floating segment of my house was destroyed, aside from the non-flammable cobblestone and glass, and special blocks like the bed, the workbench, etc.:

Flake wasn't hurt, and the shack leading to my underground shelter wasn't damaged, but it's still a pretty devastating loss. I guess I should dump my lava somewhere and go get some water...
Old April 10 2011, 12:11 AM   #510
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

I just wish glass was reclaimable somehow. I just discovered I messed up on my stone and glass skyscraper, and had to smash the last floor up. Over two hundred pieces of glass, gone!