Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 21 2010, 08:32 PM   #121
Jax
Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

I read last few pages and geez its not Star Wars, games suffer from plot holes and dodgy stories but really we need to let Bioware play out there full story before we judge. Bioware probably decided in ME 2 to change the Reaper concept from what they originally created but as game stories go ME offering is great SCI FI.
Old December 21 2010, 08:44 PM   #122
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I fail to to comprehend how prefacing you comments with an insult serves any purpose at all. I haven't committed the codex to memory.
You mean the codex entry I had provided a link to? One would have thought you at least read it prior to responding rather than just pulling some random baseless assertion out of the void. I don't think it's expecting too much of a person to recall something they read mere minutes or seconds prior to typing a comment. As for the "insult", it was a genuine question (which I note you failed to answer), I can't help that it hurt your delicate feelings.

As for the bit about Asari, there's no point in dissecting the precise wording of a wiki article when it's been written by some random person off the net. What you should pay attention to however is the *actual* codex entries from the actual game which are archived verbatim on the wikia as separate articles. Observe:-
Primary Codex Entries/Technology/Biotics
"...Biotics are the result of in-utero exposure to element zero. This usually causes fatal cancers in the victim, but in rare cases it coalesces into nodules within the fetus's developing nervous system."
Note it simply says "biotics are the result of in-utero exposure to element zero." Not "non-asari biotics."
Aliens: Council Races/Secondary Codex Entries/Asari: Biology
"...During melding, an asari consciously attunes her nervous system to her partner's, sending and receiving electrical impulses directly through the skin. The partner can be another asari, or an alien of either gender. Effectively, the asari and her partner briefly become one unified nervous system.

This unique means of reproduction is the reason asari are talented biotics."
Secondary Codex Entries/Aliens: Council Races/Asari: Military Doctrine
"...Biotics are common enough that some capability is a requirement to be trained as a huntress; lack of biotic talent excludes a young asari from military service."
So while it does indicate that asari are certainty more prone to Biotic ability than other races and their biology (specifically their innate control of their nervous system) predisposes them to greater proficiency in controlling their abilities, nowhere does it say that asari are an all biotic species that can manipulate dark energy without the presence of eezo nodules in their bodies. Indeed it specifically says that some asari have no such abilities at all.

Last edited by Reverend; December 21 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2010, 12:23 AM   #123
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

A JaxMas Carol wrote: View Post
I read last few pages and geez its not Star Wars...
No it isn't, thankfully. There aren't that many plot holes.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2010, 01:15 AM   #124
Saquist
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
You mean the codex entry I had provided a link to? One would have thought you at least read it prior to responding rather than just pulling some random baseless assertion out of the void.
You thought wrong. I completely ignored the link. I didn't even recognize it as a link and my assertion was based on my bank of available information not a random at all. It was based on visual observation otherwise I would not have been able to relate the common reference of targets. You're posturing.

As for the "insult", it was a genuine question (which I note you failed to answer), I can't help that it hurt your delicate feelings.
I'm sure the fallacy of reasoning by which originated your insult was given in all sincerity but spare me your emotionalism. I have no use for it.

As for the bit about Asari, there's no point in dissecting the precise wording of a wiki article when it's been written by some random person off the net. What you should pay attention to however is the *actual* codex entries from the actual game which are archived verbatim on the wikia as separate articles. Observe:-
Primary Codex Entries/Technology/Biotics
"...Biotics are the result of in-utero exposure to element zero. This usually causes fatal cancers in the victim, but in rare cases it coalesces into nodules within the fetus's developing nervous system."
Note it simply says "biotics are the result of in-utero exposure to element zero." Not "non-asari biotics."
Aliens: Council Races/Secondary Codex Entries/Asari: Biology
"...During melding, an asari consciously attunes her nervous system to her partner's, sending and receiving electrical impulses directly through the skin. The partner can be another asari, or an alien of either gender. Effectively, the asari and her partner briefly become one unified nervous system.

This unique means of reproduction is the reason asari are talented biotics."
Secondary Codex Entries/Aliens: Council Races/Asari: Military Doctrine
"...Biotics are common enough that some capability is a requirement to be trained as a huntress; lack of biotic talent excludes a young asari from military service."
So while it does indicate that asari are certainty more prone to Biotic ability than other races and their biology (specifically their innate control of their nervous system) predisposes them to greater proficiency in controlling their abilities, nowhere does it say that asari are an all biotic species that can manipulate dark energy without the presence of eezo nodules in their bodies. Indeed it specifically says that some asari have no such abilities at all.
Your case is well made but I can't shake some latent memory or impression that the term natural biotic from somewhere in in the game and that is a much different connotation than talented biotic. I'll have to review it to find out for sure.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2010, 04:04 AM   #125
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^So your excuse is you don't know what a link looks like? That's the best you can do?

Whatever. Look at it this way; if asari didn't have eezo nodules in their nervous systems then they wouldn't be able to make use of biotic amps which "synchronize the nodules so they can form fields large and strong enough for practical use." And yet we know from ME1 Liara makes use of amps because we can equip her with one and of course it says right there in the codex that the very best amps are made by the asari. Why would they be the best at making something that according to you they would by definition have no use for? The answer is of course that they clearly do have a use for them, because they have eezo in their system just like all biotics. Indeed the very premise and central conceit of the entire franchise is that eezo is the only element in the universe that can emit dark energy and thus generate mass effect fields. Even IF asari are "natural biotic" they'd still need eezo as part of their biological chemistry. Whether this is ingested from from Thessia's food chain or water table and passed from mother to daughter or through unnatural exposure in-utero like humans the result would still have to be the same. QED.

It's all rather academic anyway as there's been nothing to suggest that Reapers would have the slightest interest in a race for it's biotic abilities since they're living starships that can build their own bodies with massive eezo cores. Whatever criteria they judge races by it's something more than just simple biological attributes. If biotics is really what interested them then the Collectors wouldn't have been going after human colonies, they'd be hitting asari space, no?
Old December 22 2010, 05:15 AM   #126
Saquist
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
^So your excuse is you don't know what a link looks like? That's the best you can do?
It is not my concern whether you think I gave my "best" or not. I don't indulge in games of witless pursuits of ego and bravado, I tell the truth; wrong right or oblivious.

Whatever. Look at it this way; if asari didn't have eezo nodules in their nervous systems then they wouldn't be able to make use of biotic amps which "synchronize the nodules so they can form fields large and strong enough for practical use."
Indeed. I came to a similar conclusion after looking up biotic amp. Asari amps are highly prized and used by everyone so their must be compatible.

It's all rather academic anyway as there's been nothing to suggest that Reapers would have the slightest interest in a race for it's biotic abilities since they're living starships that can build their own bodies with massive eezo cores. Whatever criteria they judge races by it's something more than just simple biological attributes. If biotics is really what interested them then the Collectors wouldn't have been going after human colonies, they'd be hitting asari space, no?

That really has been yet to be determined untill their task is complete. And I don't mean the continuation of the story but we really do have wait and see if they reap the technology or the life forms.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2011, 01:35 PM   #127
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Game Informer has some details on the game and a commenter on Kotaku posted this handy list of all the main points from the article. It includes some spoilers for ME3 and the Arrival DLC.

Old April 8 2011, 01:52 PM   #128
Skywalker
Admiral

Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2011, 02:40 PM   #129
HotRod
Commander

Gotta say, I'm pretty happy about what I read in that spoiler code. Guess I'll have to go out and pick up that issue for myself. Best thing about it......NO MULTIPLAYER! Thank God!
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2011, 02:57 PM   #130
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Also, Ashley has a new hairdo. I can't wait to watch her and Miranda wrestle, semi-nude, for the affections of my manShep.

Also also...
Old April 8 2011, 03:30 PM   #131
HotRod
Commander

Holy crap.....Look at Ashley! I had my doubts about sticking with her and putting Miranda in the "friend zone". But after seeing that pic I regret my choice much much less.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2011, 04:53 PM   #132
John Clark
Commodore

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Game Informer has some details on the game and a commenter on Kotaku posted this handy list of all the main points from the article. It includes some spoilers for ME3 and the Arrival DLC.

Sounds good to me

Old April 8 2011, 06:25 PM   #133
Reverend
Rear Admiral

No complaints here.
Old April 9 2011, 02:58 AM   #134
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

Despite the article not saying whether Tali will be a squadmate or not, I have to believe she will be. Lest they face an unimaginable amount of neckbeard nerdrage. She has, by far, the largest fanbase on their own forums. Hell, they're going to have to come up with a pretty good excuse just to survive the reprisal of not showing her face at any point during the trilogy.

Last edited by T.Geiger; April 9 2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Hubba, Hubba
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2011, 03:53 AM   #135
Skywalker
Admiral

I'm gonna be honest, I would be more than okay with not having Tali as a squadmate. I never was much of a fan. But, like Garrus, she's a very popular character and it's highly unlikely that's going to happen.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote