Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Indistinguishable From Magic
Outstanding 47 29.01%
Above Average 61 37.65%
Average 25 15.43%
Below Average 15 9.26%
Poor 14 8.64%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 6 2011, 01:09 AM   #136
Truth
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

He was only a Lt JG on the command track by the time he transferred I think. And while he's been a Commander for 20 years, he's been based in the ships' lower decks for that time.
To suddenly become responsible, full-time, for a Galaxy-class ship is too much of a stretch.

1.This is not His first time commanding a galaxy class , in the arsenal of freedom episode, he saved the ships from the attack drones, when most of the senor staff was traped on a planet

2. like they stated he is a 20 yr vet , which means he has exprince commanding people even if he is only in chareg of one dept, after a while it becomes second nature, and gerodi did not just go with the flow he stated many times he felt out of place as Co, but as a 20 yr vet he will not show that in front of his crew

3. Starfleet has suffered many losses mostly in line officers who are very hard to replace, its a surpise that many of picard senior people have not been given their own command hell the only reason wolf might not have been offered his own command is becasue of his reprimands or he might have been offered one yrs ago

It sound to me like you went in thinking of this as a tng book

Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 01:11 AM   #137
Truth
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Truth wrote: View Post
He was only a Lt JG on the command track by the time he transferred I think. And while he's been a Commander for 20 years, he's been based in the ships' lower decks for that time.
To suddenly become responsible, full-time, for a Galaxy-class ship is too much of a stretch..

1.This is not His first time commanding a galaxy class , in the arsenal of freedom episode, he saved the ships from the attack drones, when most of the senor staff was traped on a planet

2. like they stated he is a 20 yr vet , which means he has exprince commanding people even if he is only in chareg of one dept, after a while it becomes second nature, and gerodi did not just go with the flow he stated many times he felt out of place as Co, but as a 20 yr vet he will not show that in front of his crew

3. Starfleet has suffered many losses mostly in line officers who are very hard to replace, its a surpise that many of picard senior people have not been given their own command hell the only reason wolf might not have been offered his own command is becasue of his reprimands or he might have been offered one yrs ago

It sound to me like you went in thinking of this as a tng book
Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 08:22 AM   #138
Snaploud
Admiral

I suppose this whole discussion brings us back to whether or not there are "line officers" in the trek universe. For instance, in "Disaster" (season 5, episode 5), Troi was controversially given command of the bridge based solely upon her rank (over Ensign Ro, whom one would assume would be a line officer in a regular navy).

Starfleet clearly has "command track" and "non-command track" officers, but, other than specifically designated first and second officers, there's no evidence of having line officers in the traditional sense. Lacking line officer rules, LaForge and even Doctor Crusher (who eventually became a captain in the "All Good Things" timeline) may automatically be considered by Starfleet as experienced enough to become executive officers or even to command ships (under the right circumstances) based solely upon their ranks. At the very least, it's clear that the current trek editors feel that way (both given what happened in IFM and that Riker offered Geordi the XO position before taking command of the Titan).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 09:03 AM   #139
RTOlson
Rear Admiral

View RTOlson's Twitter Profile

If memory serves me correctly, Scotty was promoted to captain at the same time he was assigned to the Excelsior project in "Star Trek III" and he has held that rank since. His rank apparently isn't directly connected to his assignment at Starfleet.

Last edited by RTOlson; April 6 2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Fixing spoiler description.
RTOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 10:45 AM   #140
trash80
Lieutenant Commander

Ok finished now, voted Above Average. Really enjoyed this one.

I didn't have a problem with the new rank, it was actually becoming a bit unrealistic that he hadn't progressed for such a long time.
trash80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 01:37 PM   #141
Christopher
Writer

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Starfleet clearly has "command track" and "non-command track" officers, but, other than specifically designated first and second officers, there's no evidence of having line officers in the traditional sense. Lacking line officer rules, LaForge and even Doctor Crusher (who eventually became a captain in the "All Good Things" timeline) may automatically be considered by Starfleet as experienced enough to become executive officers or even to command ships (under the right circumstances) based solely upon their ranks.
And note that Crusher was captain of a medical ship. It suggests that Starfleet would favor giving command of a specialized ship to someone whose training was in that specialty (like giving Scotty or Geordi or Gomez or al-Khalid command of an SCE ship), rather than going solely by whether someone is on "command track" or not. Which fits with Roddenberry's view of Starfleet as an only loosely military organization where rank was treated more as a part of one's job description than a component of a rigid hierarchical authority structure.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 01:43 PM   #142
Lonemagpie
Writer

RTOlson wrote: View Post
If memory serves me correctly, Scotty was promoted to captain at the same time he was assigned to the Excelsior project in "Star Trek III" and he has held that rank since. His rank apparently isn't directly connected to his assignment at Starfleet.
He's told about being promoted to "Captain of Engineering" in TSFS, yep, in the same scene when they're told about the Enterprise being decommissioned. He's then addressed as "Captain Scott" in at least TVH and the episode Relics.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 09:33 PM   #143
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Okay, I just finished. I am a little unsure how how to rate the book. I think that, in the broadest sense, it was a nice idea. Poor Geordi had been under-utilized and under-developed for far too long. This novel did a good job of finally putting him in the spotlight and also addressing a number of things that I think a lot of people have been waiting for. His lack of professional and personal development over so many years finally gets thrown in the character's face. Can Geordi really be happy as the chief engineer of the Enterprise for the rest of his life? He's been doing the job for so long... is there really nothing else for him? I definitely appreciated the fact that he was given the opportunity to stretch his wings.

However, I have to say that I was really disappointed in the plots and execution of the book. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I do not think it was necessary to bring in so many familiar characters. Maybe had it just been limited to Scotty and Leah, I would have been okay with it. I see absolutely no reason why so many others needed to be included. This is probably one of the worst examples of Small Universe Syndrome that I've read in recent memory. I also do not understand at all why the book was broken into two parts. What, exactly, was the point of including Rasmussen and Bok? That story element ultimately does not need to be in this book at all, and the way it just ends half-way through seems very odd. I really just felt like the story structure was a mess, and I wasn't terribly engrossed in what was going on.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 09:37 PM   #144
Christopher
Writer

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
I also do not understand at all why the book was broken into two parts.
I guess you haven't read the rest of the thread, then. As David has explained, he originally pitched it as two separate novels.

Old April 6 2011, 09:57 PM   #145
Lonemagpie
Writer

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I do not think it was necessary to bring in so many familiar characters. Maybe had it just been limited to Scotty and Leah, I would have been okay with it. I see absolutely no reason why so many others needed to be included. This is probably one of the worst examples of Small Universe Syndrome that I've read in recent memory.
That's what CBS asked for - have to fulfil the brief. And I like the mix it ended up with.

I also do not understand at all why the book was broken into two parts.
Other way round - it was two books cut together into one.

What, exactly, was the point of including Rasmussen and Bok? That story element ultimately does not need to be in this book at all
That storyline was always going to be in book 1, though originally it would have probably been new characters in the place of those two, but doing the same thing.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2011, 05:28 AM   #146
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

I'm enjoying the story over all. Personally I found Geordi's "voice" to be fairly spot on. Also enjoyed seeing Reg (who I would imagine could be a hard character to write and find the right balance between competent officer and 24th century version of a Geek). I enjoyed the unexpected return of Rasmussen and the explanation of how he came to be in the 24th century (especially since the 22nd century wasn't quite the pit of barbarism that was supposed when the episode he debuted in first appeared. However I do have a couple of problems as regards him...

Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2011, 11:32 AM   #147
JAG
Vice Admiral

Voted Outstanding. It was a great fun read. I liked the characterizations and thought the new characters were well integrated with the people we already know. Loved seeing Nog.
Old April 7 2011, 12:30 PM   #148
ice
Ensign

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
There's a difference between fanfic and professional.

And indeed between fanfic and fanwank, which is surely the more accurate word!
I was meaning "screams of fan fiction" rather than "it IS fan fiction" so, yeah, "fanwank" is bang on...

oh, command track, remember Geordi was Riker's first officer in Redemption Part II as well, so he's presumably taken all the exams and stuff. Doesn't matter, though.
I'd totally forgotten about that. Great point. Much like Scott being in charge of the TOS Enterprise in certain situations, I don't have a problem with Geordi being a Captain; but "captain of the moment" has to be far different than "captain everyday."

It just needed some build up which to me wasn't present. Same goes for Sulu in STVI; several years had passed in between movies. Who knew what went on? Same again for Beverly in All Good Things...

You've liked other stuff I've written (surprised you mentioned Mission Impractical though - that's no classic, and a bit... would-be "wacky" even for me), and probably people who loved this would other stuff I've done.
Seriously, I loved Mission, it captured a Colin Baker DW story perfectly for me. It's probably my favourite 6th Dr BBC book. Speaking of other books, after enjoying Face of the Enemy so much, I'm now scouring ebay as we speak for a copy of The Dark Path...
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2011, 05:09 PM   #149
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

View GalaxyClass1701's Twitter Profile

Great book terrible ending why they couldn't leave the Challenger intact and Geordi as Captain is beyond me!!!!
GalaxyClass1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2011, 08:52 PM   #150
Christopher
Writer

GalaxyClass1701 wrote: View Post
...why they couldn't leave the Challenger intact and Geordi as Captain is beyond me!!!!
I figured it was because that's what everyone expected. What's the point of giving the readers an ending they already see coming?