RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 425
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 28 2011, 04:49 AM   #496
Destructor
Commodore

Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

JWolf wrote: View Post
Thrawn wrote: View Post
As far as I know, Trek books aren't available DRM-free anywhere.
Very true. Star Trek eBooks are only sold with DRM.
Ah! That explains my troubles

Well, in the end, I just got 'Resistance' using my Kindle app for iPhone. I realized that, while I disapprove of DRM, the primary reason I do so is that I feel like I don't really own my books, and that as soon as that DRM goes out of fashion (as they invariably do), the books I've purchased under that DRM regime will all be lost. However then I realized that I don't really hold on to my Trek books anyway- they usually join a giant pile of books that eventually ends up with the Salvation Army. So since I'm not really interesting in 're-reading' my Trek fiction, it's not as bad to purchase it with DRM and then just let it go once I'm finished.

As it was the buying process was really painless and I am now enjoying Resistance on the kindle app.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 10:24 AM   #497
jennyjohnson

You can covert any document file into pdf format with the help of applications. But in same way you can do it very easily in the Microsoft word document file. Just save that file into pdf format or ebook format as per your requirements.
Old April 6 2011, 03:07 PM   #498
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

jennyjohnson wrote: View Post
You can covert any document file into pdf format with the help of applications. But in same way you can do it very easily in the Microsoft word document file. Just save that file into pdf format or ebook format as per your requirements.
Very true, or simply remove the DRM. While the act of removing the DRM is not legal I know many who will remove the DRM once they legally purchase the ebook simply to avoid the issues and concerns previously mentioned. DRM exists to foil the illegal copying and DISTRIBUTION of the book to non-paying readers. It exists ultimately to protect the publisher/author's right to income from the book. I am completely cool with that.
Old April 9 2011, 02:45 AM   #499
JWolf
Commodore

Why in heck would you want to create PDF? PDF is a fixed format and if you change devices, the PDF you've created may be unsuitable. Plus it isn't a nice format for reading eBooks when we have ePub that works well.
Old April 9 2011, 02:46 AM   #500
JWolf
Commodore

Smitty wrote: View Post
Very true, or simply remove the DRM. While the act of removing the DRM is not legal I know many who will remove the DRM once they legally purchase the ebook simply to avoid the issues and concerns previously mentioned. DRM exists to foil the illegal copying and DISTRIBUTION of the book to non-paying readers. It exists ultimately to protect the publisher/author's right to income from the book. I am completely cool with that.
The act of stripping DRM from eBooks is neither legal nor illegal. There is no ruling as to that. So for now, it's a gray area. Please do not make it sound so black & white when it's a strong gray color.