RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,691
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 798
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 4 2011, 02:10 AM   #451
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

I accidentally punched a wolf a little bit ago and got a whole pack on me... That wasn't fun.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2011, 02:28 AM   #452
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

They don't take kindly to being attacked.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2011, 02:58 AM   #453
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

The first time I encountered them, I smacked one of them with a pork chop and got attacked.
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2011, 03:31 AM   #454
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

On about the 5th world I've created since my main house burned down, I decided to make my stand. I've built a treehouse that is connected to the ground by virtue of a very large hill nearby. Unfortunately, because all the trees are blocking the sunlight, I'm going to have to burn/chop down quit a bit of them in order to make my house a bit safer and start some friendly mobs spawning... hopefully some wolves, too...
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2011, 04:16 AM   #455
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
On about the 5th world I've created since my main house burned down, I decided to make my stand. I've built a treehouse that is connected to the ground by virtue of a very large hill nearby. Unfortunately, because all the trees are blocking the sunlight, I'm going to have to burn/chop down quit a bit of them in order to make my house a bit safer and start some friendly mobs spawning... hopefully some wolves, too...
Just put torches on all the trees.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old April 4 2011, 05:18 AM   #456
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Just put torches on all the trees.
I feel st00pid now. That would actually make my home a bit easier to see from a distance, too, on long journeys.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Old April 4 2011, 10:18 AM   #457
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I feel st00pid now. That would actually make my home a bit easier to see from a distance, too, on long journeys.
Aww, don't worry about it. We're all in this together. The torches also attract animals at night, so you'll always have a ready supply of pork, leather, and wool.

When I go exploring I usually leave a trail of torches and cobblestone behind me to mark my path. Then later when I get to the Nether I make nice big flaming beacons on pillars to mark my house.

Oh, and since I just posted shots of my house over on the Minecraft forum, might as well put them in here too.

Heres my current treehouse. Gotta love the view.
It'll look a lot nicer once I finish the big freakin' airship on the right.

Last edited by Cutter John; April 4 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old April 5 2011, 01:55 PM   #458
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Nice digs, dude! I'm a sucker for anything built up in the sky.

I got a server last week and have been building on it with some friends.

I generate a topo view of the map every night: Link

The square on the left side, near the center line, is the spawn point. North of that is mostly where we've built. That bridge going all the way across the water is the result of my girlfriend and I getting totally lost in a massive cave system. When we came out to the surface, we had no idea where we were so we built a house and stored our loot. Once I figured out where we were relative to our usual building area, I built a bridge across the water, placing torches along the way. I'll probably replace it with a proper path in the future, but for now at least we can find our way back.
My blog
Old April 5 2011, 03:09 PM   #459
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Nice Cutter John. You must have psychically stolen my idea; I was thinking of making a TOS shuttle, complete with signs where consoles should be and hovering a block or two off the ground (thank you Notch for making most blocks immune to gravity!).
Old April 5 2011, 03:31 PM   #460
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Yeah, they better never take away floating blocks.
My blog
Old April 5 2011, 04:06 PM   #461
Kimi3013
Captain

There was a post by notch ages ago about floating blocks, and how he didn't like them. He said something about not getting rid of them, but maybe making you need to use some Obsidian to keep them floating. Or something like that.
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 05:26 PM   #462
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

*currently taking all my willpower to NOT make a snarky comment about Roberts new avatar.

Thanks guys. This thing is stressful as hell to build though. Constantly teeterign on the edge of a 500 foot drop, praying your finger doesn't slip off the Crawl key.

Kimi3013 wrote: View Post
There was a post by notch ages ago about floating blocks, and how he didn't like them. He said something about not getting rid of them, but maybe making you need to use some Obsidian to keep them floating. Or something like that.
That would be a fail of epic proportions. Imagine updating your game then logging in just in time to see your unsupported structures and floating islands all come crashing to the ground.

Robert - Thats how my minecart system got started in my previous world. I put down random torches in the area around my house, then next time I respawned, I put down a trail of blocks leading from the spawnpoint back to closest torch. Eventually it turned into a raised pathway and a tiny shelter by the spawnpoint then later a stone tower and track system.

Last edited by Cutter John; April 5 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old April 5 2011, 06:50 PM   #463
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Cutter John wrote: View Post
*currently taking all my willpower to NOT make a snarky comment about Roberts new avatar.
My new profile is entirely in jest, so snarky comments are welcome.

Kimi3013 wrote: View Post
That would be a fail of epic proportions. Imagine updating your game then logging in just in time to see your unsupported structures and floating islands all come crashing to the ground.
I foresee a mod that will do this so people can record it and post it on YouTube. The Skyfall Mod!

Robert - Thats how my minecart system got started in my previous world. I put down random torches in the area around my house, then next time I respawned, I put down a trail of blocks leading from the spawnpoint back to closest torch. Eventually it turned into a raised pathway and a tiny shelter by the spawnpoint then later a stone tower and track system.
Yeah, once I get enough iron I will probably lay down some minecarts. So far, we're all keeping our structures connected, primarily through existing underground caves. It's kind of nice to have a house built into the walls of a cave.
My blog
Old April 5 2011, 07:00 PM   #464
Peak
Fleet Captain

New update, but the only new thing (except removing the April Fools-chests), are that beds finally work as Spawn point.
)
Annoying thing: I went far, far away and finally found a wolf. And died shortly thereafter. The lastest Coe's Quest does seem to point to the fact that wolves doesn't teleport to spawn if they are in unloaded chunks (which means that I have to find my way back to that small island to reclaim my poor wolf). If beds as spawn had worked when I did my trip this wouldn't have been an issue, because I would have spawned not far away from where I died.

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 07:19 PM   #465
Kimi3013
Captain

On the problem of logging in a seeing the world fall, it's a non-issue. The game would be able to tell which chunks were generated pre-gravity and just tag them as such so the gravity won't happen on them. Everything you built is still floating.
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote