Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 3 2011, 07:03 PM   #301
KJbushway
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

No I haven't.
Independence Day.
Most of the crappy Syfy movies.
I'm bad at coming up with lists on the spot, but your right I haven't seen many.
Mars Attacks.
KJbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 08:46 PM   #302
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
"Source Code" A+ 4/4 stars. Brilliant movie. Duncan Jones is a genius. I'll be getting this on DVD when it comes out...really strong follow up film to "Moon". Jake Gynellhall and Michelle Monaghan were terrific in it as well. Favorite film of the year and will be seeing it again.
When I first saw the trailer to it, the first thing that came to mind was Voyager's Relativity? Is there a lot more to it than that or were the comparisons fairly accurate.
Old April 3 2011, 09:38 PM   #303
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ I would say there's a lot more to it than that. I've read early descriptions of the script that was like "The Matrix" meets "The Bourne Identity". Even that doesn't really describe it properly though.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 09:39 PM   #304
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ I would say there's a lot more to it than that. I've read early descriptions of the script that was like "The Matrix" meets "The Bourne Identity". Even that doesn't really describe it properly though.
Interesting. Might be something worth checking out then.
Old April 4 2011, 11:25 PM   #305
KJbushway
Commodore

KJbushway wrote: View Post
No I haven't.
Independence Day.
I'm bad at coming up with lists on the spot, but your right I haven't seen many.
Mars Attacks.
To this list I while add the new transformers movie.
Then that will be the best invasion movie I have seen.
Old April 5 2011, 12:40 AM   #306
Harvey
Admiral

49. The War Room (A-)
50. Paul (B)
51. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (A-)

The War Room: I'm a political junkie, so this is a documentary that hits all the right buttons for me as a viewer. Mostly set inside the "War Room" of the 1992 Clinton Presidential Campaign (with a particular focus on James Carville and George Stephanopoulos), the film has more access than most political documentaries you'll see.

It was nominated for an Academy Award in 1994, and, judging from my unfamiliarity with the other nominees, it probably should have won. It's certainly the only film that's had any staying power of the five (including the winner). Of course, with the benefit of almost 20 years of historical perspective, it's harder now to get wrapped up in the Clinton campaign than it was for people at the time; most of the promises given, for a variety of reasons, were never delivered on.

Apparently there's an 82-minute follow-up that was produced for television in 2008, but I haven't seen it.

Paul: This is a fun little movie that likely features more than two hundred sf references in 104 minutes, though it's never as good as either of the Ed Wright-directed films that Pegg and Frost starred together in. The setting of the finale is quite amusing, though, as is the cameo by Steven Spielberg. And Sigourney Weaver still knows how to make an entrance. Enjoyable, but not to the point of requiring repeated viewings or anything.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country: I saw this in 70mm last week here in Los Angeles, and it looked great. It's also the first time that I've seen the theatrical edit since the film was in theatres (and, given I was four at the time, might as well count as the first time I've seen the theatrical edit). It's probably a little tighter than the longer versions that are available on DVD, though I might still prefer those. It's definitely not a perfect movie, but I liked it quite a bit -- even more than I remembered liking it -- and I'm glad I got to see it on the big screen.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 01:58 AM   #307
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

No I haven't.
Independence Day.
Mars Attacks.
Check out War of the Worlds, Invasion of the Body Snatchers or The Day the Earth Stood Still, all are classics and have been remade. Don't see the Body Snatcher remake though, imo, it's not as good. I didn't see TDTESS remake with Keanu Reeves so no comment but the original, while dated with effects of the day tells a good story.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 02:16 AM   #308
CaptainCanada
Admiral

30. Gigi (B-)
31. I Love You Phillip Morris (B+)
32. How To Train Your Dragon (A)
33. Tarzan (B+)
34. Oliver! (B+)
35. Gosford Park (A-)

The antepenultimate film of director Robert Altman, and the last one to garner really serious acclaim. Unfortunately for the late Mr. Altman, the Lord Fellowes seems likely to do to his film what Aaron Sorkin did to Rob Reiner a decade ago: turn their movie collaboration into seemingly a dress rehearsal for an acclaimed TV series. Gosford Park has the advantage over The American President in that Downton Abbey doesn't replicate the tone and character types to anywhere near the same extent as The West Wing did; and there's only one actor crossover, though it's a significant one (Dame Maggie Smith, playing basically the same character in both).

Gosford is, in other ways, at a disadvantage compared to its successor series: a television series (even a British one) has considerably more space for character exploration and observation on class issues than does a feature film, and nobody in Gosford Park gets a ton of development, though there are still some memorable parts. In particular, apart from Smith, the standouts are Dame Helen Mirren and Kelly Macdonald. I suspect that Kelly Macdonald would have been a bigger "thing" in the 2000s if she spoke RP instead of with a Scottish burr, because she's really good here as the closest thing there is to a main character. People like Sir Derek Jacobi are totally wasted, though.

I flirted with giving this a B+ grade, because in the end its more about the little details than anything else, but ultimately I thought the level of craft and enjoyment was too high for that. The plot is really, really easy to guess (so much so that I thought Helen Mirren's participation, at least, had to be a deliberate misdirection), but, again, Altman really doesn't care about that.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 03:43 AM   #309
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Source Code - theater

When I first saw the trailer for Source Code, I thought it looked retarded. I had a pass to see it for free last week, but couldn't get up to Dallas.

So, since the local theater is so cheap, I figured, eh, what the hell? and went to see it tonight.

Very cool movie - a lot better than the trailer makes it look.

And I loved the voice cameo. Check the credits, folks.

I've got a pass to see Soul Surfer Wednesday night, may head up to Arlington for that one...
Old April 5 2011, 05:03 AM   #310
Harvey
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Don't see the Body Snatcher remake though, imo, it's not as good. I didn't see TDTESS remake with Keanu Reeves so no comment but the original, while dated with effects of the day tells a good story.
The remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still was pretty mediocre, but I thought the remake of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (that is, the 70s remake) was better than the original (which was also good).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 08:29 AM   #311
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Phantom of the Opera (1925) 3.5/4
A Single Man 2/4
Big Fan 3/4

I had a hole bunch of stuff typed, but I closed my browser.
Old April 5 2011, 05:58 PM   #312
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
I thought the remake of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (that is, the 70s remake) was better than the original (which was also good).
Right on. I feel the same way. I think that version has one of the best endings I've ever seen. I've recently watched "Bad Santa" and "Homicide". "Bad Santa" is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. When it first came out, I assumed it was just another dumb potty humour comedy. After I saw the brutally honest and haunting documentary "Crumb" and found out it was directed by the same person, I figured there must be something special about it with such a talented director being involved.

While it is incredibly raunchy, it's also smart in a very crude way. Billy Bob Thornton seems to have been born to play the role (probably one of his three best performances after the much more serious "A Simple Plan" and "Monster's Ball") and few movies have made me laugh as hard as this one did.

I love the weird relationship he has with the kid, as the kid accepts every off-the-cuff, filthy thing he says and still chooses to admire him no matter how profane he is. Lauren Graham was delightful too with her adorable Santa fetish and I love how the ending is kinda sentimental without compromising the movie's vulgar tone.

"Homicide" was a very surprisingly thoughtful and intelligent movie. I was expecting just a cop movie with swearing and shooting galore, but it's more about antisemitism and how someone can be torn between how their job and their ethnic background can influence who they are in conflicting ways. It was cool to see Joe "Fat Tony" Mantegna in a strong live action role, but weird to see William H. Macy as a competent tough guy. I'll always think of him as the bumbling wuss from "Fargo".
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 12:08 AM   #313
KJbushway
Commodore

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
No I haven't.
Independence Day.
Mars Attacks.
Check out War of the Worlds, Invasion of the Body Snatchers or The Day the Earth Stood Still, all are classics and have been remade. Don't see the Body Snatcher remake though, imo, it's not as good. I didn't see TDTESS remake with Keanu Reeves so no comment but the original, while dated with effects of the day tells a good story.
I've seen War of the Worlds(tom cruise)
and The Day the Earth stood still.(Mr. Reeves)
Old April 6 2011, 04:37 AM   #314
CaptainCanada
Admiral

30. Gigi (B-)
31. I Love You Phillip Morris (B+)
32. How To Train Your Dragon (A)
33. Tarzan (B+)
34. Oliver! (B+)
35. Gosford Park (A-)
36. The Princess Bride (B+)

One of the films from Rob Reiner's glory period, and it's become a pretty big deal in some circles; you see it on a lot of "favourite film" lists, and several lines have been memeticized all over the internet. I didn't care for it quite that much. It's clever and well-cast in every respect (except maybe Chris Sarandon, who seems a little out of place), but it never really advances to the next level for me.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2011, 04:21 AM   #315
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates (in Bold):

The Adjustment Bureau (8)
Arashi no Yoru ni (One Stormy Night) (7)
Black Swan (9)
Broken Blade 3: The Mark of the Assassin's Dagger (9)
Broken Blade 4: The Land of Disaster (9)
Drive Angry (7)
Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance (9)
Godkiller (6)
I Am Number Four (8)
Infernal Affairs (7)
Kamui (4)
The Garden of Sinners Movie 8: Epilogue (9)
Loups=Garous (8)
The Mechanic (2011) (9)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakeening of the Trailblazer (8)
Munto: The Movie (6)
Musashi Miyamoto (6)
Time of Eve (10)
Unknown (7)