Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 26 2011, 09:08 PM   #121
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Re: Worst Star trek actor ever

Choosing from guest stars is impossible, because there are hundreds from which to choose.

As far as regulars go... there is a reason the ENT writers didn't give Anthony Montgomery any lines.

Garret Wang isn't bad at all he was just given nothing good to work with by the writers. And Robert Beltran just didn't care... he was better in early seasons when he still gave a damn.
Old March 26 2011, 09:31 PM   #122
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Also Bernie Casey in the Maquis was pretty bad
That's my vote, too. Start at 5:30, youch. It's weird watching Brooks play the "bantering" scenes right, and Casey get it all wrong, like they're in two different scenes rather than having a conversation. You're pretty bad when you made Brooks look like a perfectly natural, non-stilted actor by comparison.

I think Chris did an awesome Kirk.
Chris Pine did a great job with Kirk as written. That Kirk is not the same guy as Shatner played. I think some folks miss that little detail. If you don't like how the character was written, take it up with Kurtzman and Orci. Considering how completely the box office validated heir writing, good luck with that.
Pine IS a juvenile punk, so it's not that much of a reach. He's just playing himself.
Just on the basis of his performance in Smokin' Aces, he has enough dramatic reach as an actor to successfully play two completely divergent characters. I have no idea if he is a "juvenile punk" in RL since I don't know him personally, but he's shown that he is not limited to "playing himself," unless he's schizophrenic.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 09:58 PM   #123
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Speaking of Brooks, he was still pretty rough in the DS9 pilot. I hope he didn't scare too many viewers away with this (start at 5:00):

His acting smoothed out and he got into the rhythm of the role, but his famous breakdown in "Far Beyond the Stars" is still controversial - is this great acting, or awful? Start at 3:40.

Funny how at the time, I was pretty about "Far Beyond the Stars," but now it's great seeing the characters without their makeup. I think at the time I was just afraid the whole series would end with it being a story written by Benny Russell. And it would have been the fans howling NOOOO!!!! IT'S REEEAAAALLL!!!

Now that that threat is safely behind us, I think the Benny Russell breakdown scene is great.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 04:16 AM   #124
TedShatner10
Commodore

Garret Wang was Pablum most of the time, but when given the opportunity he was alright. I was never really thrilled by his perma-noob ensign character, but he didn't seem too bad in Into the West.
Old March 27 2011, 06:01 AM   #125
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
Anyway I'm glad the show got Shatner instead of Jeffrey Hunter. Talk about a guy who just seemed to suck the fun out of everything.
Bruce Greenwood is one of the very few Trek XI actors that I preferred over the original counterpart. Hunter struck me as oddly handsome yet oddly ... uncharismatic. At least Shatner had that much going for him (sure, some will argue that Shatner had more than that in his arsenal, but I'll use charisma as a point of relation).
Old March 27 2011, 06:10 AM   #126
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Also Bernie Casey in the Maquis was pretty bad
That's my vote, too. Start at 5:30, youch. It's weird watching Brooks play the "bantering" scenes right, and Casey get it all wrong, like they're in two different scenes rather than having a conversation. You're pretty bad when you made Brooks look like a perfectly natural, non-stilted actor by comparison.
I'm thinking they cast Bernie Casey with the Maquis twist in mind rather than the seemingly easy-going Starfleet veteran/friend portion of the role. Casey's pretty good in tough, disciplined roles, but his friendly exchange with Sisko and Dax was cringeworthy. He was miscast for half the story
Old March 27 2011, 02:49 PM   #127
Merky
Captain

mobes wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Merky wrote: View Post
Shatner in TOS, which is really weird to say because he's an excellent actor in everything else but Star Trek.
I actually agree with this statement. For a time I used to get really bewildered at all the praise that Shatner would get on this board, as if people were just kissing his butt out of favoritism more than anything else. But name another prominent show or film with Shatner and it's great. Denny Crane!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan and I think he does his job in TOS. But TOS-Shatner isn't his best work imo.

~clip snip~
Maybe this is why nuKirk got to be captain so fast -- the higher-ups knew that if he didn't get the ship, THIS would happen
You guys are daft! You're only thinking about the really bad bits, the scenes that comedians copy for laughs. There's thousands of other scenes where he doesn't overact, and they're excellent.

Remeber Charlie X for example :
"Go to your quarters, or I'll pick you up and carry you there."

You have to look at all the scenes, not just the intense dramatic, screwed up ones. And the director has some responsibility there too, which is why I don't blame the tng actors solely for their incredibly stiff performances
Between Shatner's cadence as Kirk, the pause -cue music- dramatic close up -pause- dramatic face -cue fade out-, the over the top reactions to a lot of scenes... etc just came off as terrible compared to the rest of the cast.

Deforest Kelley was a veteran actor and excellent, on point, with his portrayal of the doctor. He was just natural with his delivery of his lines and could jump from a casual southern gentlemen to the straightforward and determined doctor. Leonard Nimoy's consistent performance as an emotionless being proved he was the better actor as well. It's not that easy to act completely detached, it is a natural human response, and to come into each role and not even flinch at a dramatic scene was really amazing. Not to mention that Nimoy's greatest performances was when he was performing a mind meld and essentially becoming another character in that scene until he breaks the meld and *snap* is in Spock mode again.

Shatner simply hammed up his role. Yes, it's iconic. Yes, the comedians rip it apart but it was also the weakest performance by far to the cast of TOS. He tried to make Kirk larger than life, and he did, but in return he also made his performance look very cheap in a lot of "dramatic" scenes that required a little less "stage" and a little bit more "realism".

Funny how at the time, I was pretty about "Far Beyond the Stars," but now it's great seeing the characters without their makeup. I think at the time I was just afraid the whole series would end with it being a story written by Benny Russell. And it would have been the fans howling NOOOO!!!! IT'S REEEAAAALLL!!!
That whole scene got destroyed with this clip. LOL I can never watch it seriously again:

Merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 03:41 PM   #128
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
Anyway I'm glad the show got Shatner instead of Jeffrey Hunter. Talk about a guy who just seemed to suck the fun out of everything.
Bruce Greenwood is one of the very few Trek XI actors that I preferred over the original counterpart. Hunter struck me as oddly handsome yet oddly ... uncharismatic. At least Shatner had that much going for him (sure, some will argue that Shatner had more than that in his arsenal, but I'll use charisma as a point of relation).
Charisma was a huge part of why Shatner worked so well on TOS. I do actually believe he turned in some good performances on that specific show, but as I said before I don't think that was the top of the list for his overall job description of playing Captain Kirk on that series.

I hope that at least makes a little sense.

I also agree with you completely about Greenwood. He was probably one of my favorite things in the whole movie.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 12:03 PM   #129
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I don’t know his name, but he has one line and delivers it terribly. “What about that smell? You know only the top of the line models can even talk and...”
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2011, 08:31 AM   #130
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I never cared for Harry Landers performance as Dr Coleman in "Turnabout Intruder" (TOS). His delivery was so monotone and there was a scene where you're supposed to realise that Coleman perhaps loved the totally deranged Janice Lester, but it really gets lost in the flatness.

Making the situation worse, many of Landers' flubbed takes are part of the Season Three audio tapes that were found in a Paramount trash bin and included on the infamous Blue Pear LP record, "Star Trek Bloopers".

I agree that Anthony Montgomery (ENT) must have really unimpressed the writers, because it seemed like they stopped even trying to find him something to say or do, although in the episodes where he did have something meaty, he certainly didn't seem too bad.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2011, 11:01 PM   #131
KJbushway
Commodore

Well, I can't say shatner, he was mostly a theatrical actor, so his bad acting skills weren't his fault.
Wang didn't like the show, so I will count him out.
I didn't like counselor from TNG. but I wouldn't count her as the worst.
I would have to go with Commander Reed, didn't like him.
Now that I think about it, its a tie between Reed and Hoshi.
KJbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 01:46 AM   #132
Ro_Laren
Commodore

To be honest, one of my least favorite main character acts was Scott Bakula. I know he is supposed to be a good actor, but I hated his portrayal of Archer.
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 01:50 AM   #133
KJbushway
Commodore

^
I can see what your saying. It wasn't his best role. I don't know who else was running for the Archer position. But considering how the series played out, he did the best he could.
KJbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 05:34 PM   #134
lurok
Commodore

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
To be honest, one of my least favorite main character acts was Scott Bakula. I know he is supposed to be a good actor, but I hated his portrayal of Archer.
I felt the same too (initially) and was one of factors that put me off ENT. But year ago saw the mirror two-parter and thought he was quite good. So gave the series another shot, and although still not my favorite actor or capt, quite enjoyed him off-and-on throughout the run.
Old April 3 2011, 05:57 PM   #135
Maxillius
Commander

The *worst* star trek actor?? The commander of Earth Outpost 4 in "Balance of Terror". Seriously, his facial expressions are like he's retarded instead of hurt. The only part of that episode that is cringeworthy.
Maxillius is offline   Reply With Quote