MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 28 2011, 03:47 PM   #286
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse
Re: Movies Seen in 2011

Here's a few:

Kelly's Heroes: 3/5
-I'm not big on war movies, but this was pretty good. The cast was certainly entertaining, and it's kinda creepy how little Harry Dean Stanton has aged over the years.
Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil: 3/5
-It was okay, but I think I would have liked it more had I not first lived in Savannah for over a year.
Wild Bill: 3/5
Limitless: 4/5
Paul: 2.5/5
-I'm still not sure I like my rating on this one. It was good, but I just thought it should have been better given the people involved.
The Last Detail: 4/5
American Heart: 4/5
Grown-Ups: 3/5
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein: 5/5
Best in Show: 5/5
Murder by Death: 4/5
Hoffa: 3/5
Dick: 3/5
Solitary Man: 4/5
Human Centipede: 2/5
Rango: 5/5
-I still cannot believe how much I loved this movie on every possible front.
Mulholland Falls: 5/5
-Great, somewhat forgotten Nick Nolte movie. The whole cast is terrific (well except for Melanie Griffith) actually. I can understand why a lot of people might not like it, but I thought it was wonderful. Jennifer Connelly was particularly outstanding.
The Devil's Own (1997): 4/5
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 05:04 PM   #287
LitmusDragon
Commodore

27. North By Northwest (1959) - A. Really outstanding spy thriller. Has a reputation as one of Hitchcock's best films which I'm sure is well deserved. The scene in the cornfield is a wonderfully tense moment that holds up well to this day. Hitchcock's cinematography really comes to life in the Blu-ray transfer.

28. The Plague Dogs (1982) - B+. Good if a bit heavy-handed film about two dogs who escape from an animal testing facility in Britain. If the premise sounds depressing, that's just a taste of what's in store. Relentlessly bleak but still a very good movie. The terrier character and his peculiar mindset (he has a certain ... brain problem that I don't want to spoil here) are weirdly fleshed out and I thought was the most interesting part of the movie. This is done by the same director who did Watership Down and was made around the same time as that movie, so has a very similar tone and look to it.

Last edited by LitmusDragon; March 28 2011 at 05:41 PM.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 04:14 PM   #288
barnaclelapse
Commodore

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter: 4/5
-Stacey Keach playing a drunk? I'm sure that was a stretch.
The City of Lost Children: 5/5
-I can't believe I waited so long to finally finish watching this. I'm pretty sure Ron Perlman qualifies as a national treasure.
Old March 30 2011, 02:15 PM   #289
CaptainCanada
Admiral

30. Gigi (B-)
31. I Love You Phillip Morris (B+)
32. How To Train Your Dragon (A)
33. Tarzan (B+)

The last Disney film of the old century, rather neatly bookending the ten year period of the Disney Renaissance from the release of The Little Mermaid in 1989 (of Disney's output between this and The Princess and the Frog, only Lilo & Stitch is really remembered). I didn't actually see this or Mulan in theatres at the time, and over the years I've played catch-up.

Unlike most of Disney's output, this isn't a musical, it just has accompanying songs; the songs, on their own, are very good (I recall seeing the Phil Collins music videos many times on TV as a kid), but I don't know that they're the best fit for the story being told, just in terms of style. Tarzan doesn't hit the same heights as Disney's best work as a result of that, and also because of a rather unremarkable villain who only becomes a villain at the very end (though capably voiced by Brian Blessed). What really works is almost everything else. The character interactions are great, particularly between Tarzan and Kala and Tarzan and Jane. Disney also has a great advantage over other adaptations of this property in that they can depict the world of the apes with far more detail than live action films can.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 03:33 PM   #290
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Hunt to Kill: 3/5
-A deeply, deeply stupid movie that I couldn't help but enjoy anyway. I suspect Stone Cold is entirely to blame.
Kentucky Fried Movie: 3/5
-How the HELL did they get away with "Catholic Schoolgirls in Trouble"?! The longer parodies in this tend to really drag, but the shorter bits were terrific (and the deep announcer voice booming "And DONALD SUTHERLAND as the clumsy waiter!" makes me laugh even now).
Old March 31 2011, 05:34 AM   #291
Too Much Fun
Commodore

"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

I tried to watch this last year and couldn't sit through the whole thing because I got too bored. This time I watched it in two sittings, actually got through it, and kinda liked it by the end. It's still too long and it still has some dull patches, but I think I understand why it's the most popular of the trilogy. It just feels more serious and epic than the others as the bigger budget allows for grander landscapes and a well-rendered civil war backdrop. Also, Tuco is a more amusing and endearing character than Indio, who was just ruthless.

I still think "For a Few Dollars More" is better, but this has a few advantages. The war stuff gives it some dramatic weight, and the final sequence, which the whole movie builds to, is beautifully shot and tremendously satisfying. I was just a little annoyed that the Eli Wallach character seemed to get so much more screen time than the Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef characters (Van Cleef especially was out of the picture for WAY too long). Wallach's clownish Tuco character was entertaining and interesting at times, but he also got really annoying and there were times when I got really sick of him and wished Eastwood's character wasn't bedridden while Van Cleef's was off doing something else, stranding us with this goofball.

I much preferred in "A Few Dollars More" where there were three main characters who were all intimidating and had almost equal screen time. I don't think "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" is a bad movie or significantly worse than the one that came before it. I just think the second one in the trilogy had a better story and better developed characters, and wasn't as bloated.

Also, it was weird seeing Van Cleef play a much meaner character to justify him being called 'The Bad'. He was no saint in "For A Few Dollars More", but he at least seemed to have some morality in it. I know "Angel Eyes" wasn't the exact same guy he played in "For A Few Dollars More", but I still found it disappointing to see him beat a woman early on, kill people when it was really unnecessary, and
at the end. It should have been a triumphant moment, but it made me sad.

I think the way I feel about this trilogy is similar to how some people feel about the original Star Wars trilogy. They all have merits, but the second is definitely the best. I like the third one better than the first one, though. The first one didn't have a single memorable character other than its protagonist.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 01:47 PM   #292
barnaclelapse
Commodore

I still think my favorite would have to be the first one. That's just me.

"Duck, You Sucker!" is awesome, too.
Old April 1 2011, 10:19 PM   #293
CaptainCanada
Admiral

30. Gigi (B-)
31. I Love You Phillip Morris (B+)
32. How To Train Your Dragon (A)
33. Tarzan (B+)
34. Oliver! (B+)

The antepenultimate work of the great director Sir Carol Reed, which won Best Picture in 1968, as well as as Best Director Oscar for Reed (somewhat amusingly, as this is about a thousand miles away from the Anglo noirs that made his reputation in the 1940s). This closed out a ten-year span where five musicals won Best Picture, and it was the last to do so until Chicago in 2002.

It's a fairly credible adaptation of Dickens' novel; like a lot of them, it shies away from the byzantine revelations of Oliver's family history, in this case in favour of a simple direct link to Mr. Brownlow. The songs are good, for the most part, and quite functional; the dance sequences are pretty extraordinarily choreographed (so much so that the Academy felt the need to give out a special Oscar for it).

Performance-wise, Mark Lester is extremely forgettable as the title character, but that's a relatively common problem with this sort of thing: Oliver Twist is a wholly reactive character whose only real trait is his bland, suffering nobility. Everybody is more interested in the rogues, who have more charismatic actors and more interesting parts. As with so many adaptations, it spares both Fagin and the Artful Dodger. The clear highlight is Shani Wallis as the tragic Nancy; she has the most emotional songs and scenes. She's easily the best character, as she was in the book.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 01:10 AM   #294
Lowdarzz
Captain

McQ (1974)

John Wayne's response to the Dirty Harry films, a role which he was aparently passed over for. John Wayne is in top form in his first and I believe only modern day cop role. Unfortunately the mystery behind the film is somewhat predictable. However the car chase across the beach at the end was fantastic. A note to fellow TOS and TNG fans, Diana Muldaur plays a significant role in the film.

District 9 (2009)

I enjoyed this film immensely and I believe that most of the human characters in the film got exactly what they deserved. I've never seen so many extremely dislikable characters in one film. The main character, Wikus van de Merwe, was just as much of an ass as the next. The film's ending was perfect. Out of the two scifi alien films we got in 2009, this one was far superior to Avatar.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 05:41 AM   #295
KJbushway
Commodore

Battlefield Earth. Best invasion movie I have ever seen.
KJbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 05:41 PM   #296
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

"Source Code" A+ 4/4 stars. Brilliant movie. Duncan Jones is a genius. I'll be getting this on DVD when it comes out...really strong follow up film to "Moon". Jake Gynellhall and Michelle Monaghan were terrific in it as well. Favorite film of the year and will be seeing it again.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 06:03 PM   #297
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

29. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li: D
30. You Don't Mess With the Zohan: C+
31. Finding Bliss: C
32. Dracula III: Legacy: B-
33. Tangled: B+

Finally saw what all they hype was over this. Very cute movie I can see why my friends kids were all over it. Despite that it came out on DVD this past week it's still playing at the $1.50 theater in town. My girlfriend and I took my 12yr old who walks my dogs on occasion chose this as the movie he wanted to see. I tried to talk him into Green Hornet.

It's easy to see the end coming but it serves it's target audience very well. In a 200 seat theater there were easily 150 people there when you could've gotten it at Redbox for $1 but hey it's the big screen right!!

KJbushway wrote: View Post
Did you leave out some emoticons? Are you for real? Is it the best movie that is so bad it was good? Never really read/heard someone honestly think this is a quality good movie.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 06:05 PM   #298
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah "Battlefield Earth" has to be the worst movie that I ever paid to see.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 06:06 PM   #299
KJbushway
Commodore

Captain Craig wrote: View Post

29. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li: D
30. You Don't Mess With the Zohan: C+
31. Finding Bliss: C
32. Dracula III: Legacy: B-
33. Tangled: B+

Finally saw what all they hype was over this. Very cute movie I can see why my friends kids were all over it. Despite that it came out on DVD this past week it's still playing at the $1.50 theater in town. My girlfriend and I took my 12yr old who walks my dogs on occasion chose this as the movie he wanted to see. I tried to talk him into Green Hornet.

It's easy to see the end coming but it serves it's target audience very well. In a 200 seat theater there were easily 150 people there when you could've gotten it at Redbox for $1 but hey it's the big screen right!!

Did you leave out some emoticons? Are you for real? Is it the best movie that is so bad it was good? Never really read/heard someone honestly think this is a quality good movie.
I never said it was the best movie I have seen.
As far as alien invasion movies go, it was predictable, but it was by far the best I have seen.
KJbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 06:58 PM   #300
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I never said it was the best movie I have seen.
As far as alien invasion movies go, it was predictable, but it was by far the best I have seen.
Could you elaborate on the ones you've seen? I'm thinking you maybe haven't seen many?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote