TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Where would you like to see the DS9 Relaunch go from here
Return to the post The Soul Key timefram, 15 21.74%
Continue forward with the Avatar-The Soul Key cast back, filling in the gaps as we go 13 18.84%
Continue the storyline with a mostly new cast, and occaisional guest appearances by the A-TSK cast and fill in the gaps as we go 9 13.04%
Fill in the gaps novel/trilogy/whatever, then continue forward with A-TSK cast back 13 18.84%
Fill in the gaps novel/trilogy/whatever, then continue with new cast and occaisional appeareances by A-TSK cast 13 18.84%
no opinion 6 8.70%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 1 2011, 04:44 AM   #31
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: Poll: Future of DS9 (unofficial fellow reader/writer opinions)

how did ezire get promoted to captin ? and , why did'nt bashir join her on the aventaine ?

currently reading greater than the sum

I just got back into trek fiction after 12 yrs I started reading the tng relaunch . this winter I want to read the ds9 relaunch . Now is the gateway series important to the relaunch series ?
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 05:19 AM   #32
DeVario
Commodore

In short, Ezri transferred to the Aventine as Second Officer. The Captain and XO were both killed in action (during a battle with the Borg IIRC), and she recieved a field promotion to the captaincy.

As for Gateways, Demons of Air and Darkness and its followup "Horn and Ivory" are essential to the DS9-R. The other installments aren't really necessary if you just want to stick with DS9.
DeVario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 05:41 AM   #33
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

okay that all takes place in the destiny trilogy right?
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 05:42 AM   #34
JD
Admiral

Actually, it takes place fairly shortly before the trilogy. I can't remember exactly how long before though.
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
black_dranzer wrote: View Post
Kinggodzillak wrote: View Post

.....speaking as a Kira nut it's really sad to see she's apparently gone from central character to 'someone we might see briefly every so often'...
Kira's still a main character up until beyond the end of The Soul Key...she leaves at some point before Rough Beasts of Empire, hasn't been chronicled in the DS9-R yet though
She left the station due to whatever changes and revelations happened during the business with the Ascendants. So if and when we see that, she'll be centre stage. And I'm sure she won't be swept to the side afterwards. She's changed her role; why can't the novels change their focus somewhat to keep her in the spotlight? The Ascendants story could set up all sorts of possibilities for a spiritual "quest" starring Vedek Kira. I doubt they'll sideline her; they'll just find a new focus that'll let them use her in new ways.
I wonder if they'd be willing to put her in charge of the Bajoran temple on DS9?
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 05:51 AM   #35
DeVario
Commodore

timothy wrote: View Post
okay that all takes place in the destiny trilogy right?
It all happens "offscreen". In Greater than the Sum, there's a mention made of Ezri now serving on the Aventine. I believe her promotion happened at some point between GTTS and Destiny.
DeVario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 05:51 AM   #36
flemm
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
I wonder if they'd be willing to put her in charge of Bajoran temple on DS9?
To do what?

I think the issue at the end of the day is that galactic political intrigue can no longer revolve around the station and the wormhole the way it did while the show was on the air. So, in that sense, getting the main DS9 characters off the station is the best way to get them back in the thick of the action.

I expect that is what we are going to see, in some form or other. As much as I disliked **understatement** the way Sisko's departure was handled, the basic idea of liberating the main cast of the relaunch from the station itself is the right choice imo. It will allow these characters to be showcased in new environments and in situations that are unfamiliar to them. All of that implies that Kira will not remain a Vedek on Bajor, and I don't think she will. Kira + Cardassians = win, so I expect her to head in that direction (perhaps as a Vedek, but not spending all her time meditating in a monastery on Bajor).

Of course, somewhere down the line there would be a Unity-esque reunion on DS9, but that would be for a momentous occasion.

As for the idea of dumping most of the main DS9-R cast members in favor of Ro & Co., mostly my reaction is: you have got to be kidding me. The series did not get jumped forward 4-5 years so that the main characters could be set aside. The whole point was to get them back in the flow of galactic events. If Sisko, Kira, Bashir and the others are not going to be major players moving forward, then there was no reason at all to jump the DS9-R ahead by five years in the first place.

Last edited by flemm; April 1 2011 at 06:02 AM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 03:41 PM   #37
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

View GalaxyClass1701's Twitter Profile

Go back to the time frame of Soul Key I want the novels we were denied by NEM.
GalaxyClass1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 04:48 PM   #38
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

Honestly, I don't care about most of the reboot cast. If Bashir has no friends, he should have joined the Aventine, another ship or went back and got a job at Starfleet Medical. Kira is a vedek seems random, but still having a kai who likes the federation could be useful. Also how in the world is Sisko, the hero of the Dominion War, the second biggest war after the Borg Invasion, a minor captain on some random ship. Seriously, horrid. Also do the Prophet's care if he goes off, they can see every point in time so its not like they don't if he comes back or not. Also really should sisko not have some abilities or did he just not stay with the prophets long enough to pick up some stuff like telepathy. Still I guess we can look forward to sisko getting drunk and partying up, I always thought him and kira would be an interesting the couple. The emissary and the hand of the prophets. Also I am surprised Section 31 has not grabbed him yet so they can run some test. Still the DS9 cast has been gutted and most of the main characters besides nog and ezri seem to be in decline since the show ended.

As for the options, going back that ship seems to have sailed. And hell no to to new cast options, who wants the DS9 characters reduced to cameos in their own books for noobs. Those are absolutely the worst options. If the original cast is doing cameos then it is not DS9.
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 06:50 PM   #39
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Sjaddix wrote: View Post
If Bashir has no friends, he should have joined the Aventine, another ship or went back and got a job at Starfleet Medical.
Considering the state of the relationship between Dax and Bashir, transferring to Aventine was likely not a great option (also remember she had her pick of personnel after taking command and she chose Tarses as her CMO).

Also how in the world is Sisko, the hero of the Dominion War, the second biggest war after the Borg Invasion, a minor captain on some random ship. Seriously, horrid.
Well, that's what he asked for specifically. Not an admiralty, and command of a random starship far away from Bajor.

Still I guess we can look forward to sisko getting drunk and partying up, I always thought him and kira would be an interesting the couple. The emissary and the hand of the prophets.
Mmm, highly unlikely. Kira cares too much about Kasidy for that.

Still the DS9 cast has been gutted and most of the main characters besides nog and ezri seem to be in decline since the show ended.

As for the options, going back that ship seems to have sailed. And hell no to to new cast options, who wants the DS9 characters reduced to cameos in their own books for noobs. Those are absolutely the worst options. If the original cast is doing cameos then it is not DS9.
Meh. If anything, DS9's about change. If the new characters are good (and I'm sure they will be), bring them on! After all the Avatar duology introduced several new characters, not all of whom remained with DS9.
Old April 1 2011, 07:27 PM   #40
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

Okay then another ship or starfleet medical.

Still horrid, is his ship even state of the art?

Sisko is a drunken deadbeat dad now so I doubt he cares. Besides look at out Sisko got conceived the Prophets just possessed a lady to create him so its not like they care about those moral issues. Or the prophets could just tell Kira it will save Bajor.

I have no problem with new characters but if all the DS9 characters are in this big of a decline and reduced to cameos it is not DS9.
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 08:02 PM   #41
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

Location: Rush Limborg is prepping for Christmas on The EIB Network

Kestrel wrote: View Post
If Bashir has no friends, he should have joined the Aventine, another ship or went back and got a job at Starfleet Medical.
Considering the state of the relationship between Dax and Bashir, transferring to Aventine was likely not a great option (also remember she had her pick of personnel after taking command and she chose Tarses as her CMO).
I know. *sigh* Look, whether the DS9 relaunch picks up where it left off or not--the sooner SOMEONE reconciles the two after the events of ZSG...the better!
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
St. William Of Levittown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 08:18 PM   #42
shanejayell
Captain

Well, I had a idea for a relaunch 2....

DS9 is celebrating the anniversary of Bajor joining the Federation. (It's been what, 5 years? More?) Sisko is invited, Dax is invited, the old cast reunites while we meet the new cast assigned to the station under Captain Ro.
Old April 1 2011, 09:33 PM   #43
JD
Admiral

I could see something like that working. It would be a great way to introduce the new set up for the series. I just hope if they decide to focus on the split up cast, that they just focus on one or groups of characters per book. IMO that's been the biggest problem with NF, Peter David is trying to focus on to many different groups of characters.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 11:53 PM   #44
Plaristes
Lieutenant

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I want Sisko in a wife-beater hitting the bars with the occasional drunken vid-call to his daughter saying "You know you are better off without me" - apart from that I'm easy.
Seriously, though, I hope Sisko and family are quickly rescued from what DRGIII did to them.
Old April 2 2011, 12:58 AM   #45
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

Location: Rush Limborg is prepping for Christmas on The EIB Network

^I wouldn't hold my breath. If they could split up Ezri and Julian and keep them split for this long...
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
St. William Of Levittown is offline   Reply With Quote