Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 29 2011, 11:38 PM   #271
Darth_Daver
Captain

Re: Castle: Season 3 (Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic) - Discussion & Spoi

JD wrote: View Post
This was a fun episode. And that was my first thought when I saw Bruce Davison too. My only problem with that is that it's getting to a point now where I can figure out who's gonna be the bad guy based solely on who the guest actors are.
Yeah, that was the sole reason why I didn't started thinking that the counter terrorist guy (the flying dude from Heroes) was in on it, because no way he'd play a bad guy. (When the story shifted to misguided "patriots", I started thinking though, that I can see him do...)
Darth_Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 11:45 PM   #272
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

The whole episode was good, but the "great" moment was Castle's poker face at the end. Excellent delivery tying into the whole story.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 01:31 AM   #273
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

This was a fun episode. And that was my first thought when I saw Bruce Davison too. My only problem with that is that it's getting to a point now where I can figure out who's gonna be the bad guy based solely on who the guest actors are.
Although, as it turned out, Davison was NOT actually the killer. He was just involved in the cover-up.
Old March 30 2011, 03:23 AM   #274
Christopher
Writer

But story-wise, he was the featured culprit nonetheless.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 03:32 AM   #275
Aragorn
Admiral

I expected the brother to be the killer since 1) I recognized him from October Road (he was also in Happy Town but I didn't watch that), and 2) when Alexis was talking about doing the right thing while not ratting out her friends, it made sense regarding the mystery since Alexis-Dad talks always happen to relate exactly to the mystery. But they only made the brother an accomplice.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 03:40 AM   #276
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I had no idea who actually poisoned the guy, but I knew the DA was upp to no good. Overall an entertaining episode.

Agreed though that the daughter is getting into territory.
Old March 30 2011, 04:20 AM   #277
Christopher
Writer

I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far. I still adore Alexis. I just think this episode was rubbing it in a little. And Castle not trusting his daughter has been too much of a recurring theme this season, and that makes him look bad.

Old March 30 2011, 07:24 PM   #278
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^I totally agree with you. Unless she really gives him a reason not to trust her I think the writers should give it a rest.

Also count me in as someone who though Bruce Davison was going to be the killer. In the opening scene I turned to my wife and said "He did it." I wasn't right but I was close.

I also really like how Castle totally worked Beckett at the end. Very funny!
Old March 30 2011, 07:29 PM   #279
Buck Bokai
Lieutenant

View Buck Bokai's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's also a relief to finally get an Alexis-heavy episode again. She's been largely absent for most of the season, I'd guess because of Molly C. Quinn's academic commitments. It's good to see her featured more again, though I am getting a little tired both of Castle being unjustifiably suspicious/protective of his daughter and of Alexis being so idealized. I mean, I love it that she's such a great person, but sometimes it's a little hagiographic.
She also recently did a Disney Channel movie, I believe, and I kinda guessed that her gaps on Castle were when she was filming that, though it very well may not have been.

Neither my wife or I had any problem with Castle keeping tabs on Alexis anyway, FWIW.
Buck Bokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 07:46 PM   #280
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I don't know. At that age kids should have some expectation of privacy. Plus she has given him no reason to worry.
Old March 30 2011, 07:47 PM   #281
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

In Castle's defense, a mystery writer, and one who is confronted with violent crime on a weekly basis, is likely to be a little over-protective--since he can't help imagining all the terrible things that might happen to an unsuspecting teenage girl in the big city.
Old March 30 2011, 10:27 PM   #282
JD
Admiral

I understand what you're saying here. But this comes across as him being worried that she's up to no good, rather than being worried for her safety IMO.
Christopher wrote: View Post
I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far. I still adore Alexis. I just think this episode was rubbing it in a little. And Castle not trusting his daughter has been too much of a recurring theme this season, and that makes him look bad.
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
^I totally agree with you. Unless she really gives him a reason not to trust her I think the writers should give it a rest.
I'm with you guys on this one too. If she at least gave him a reason to not trust I could understand, but she hasn't, so his behavior seems kind of unnecessarily.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 04:27 AM   #283
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

I'm with you guys on this one too. If she at least gave him a reason to not trust I could understand, but she hasn't, so his behavior seems kind of unnecessarily.
But she did give him a reason not to trust her: she lied. He caught her "tell".
Old March 31 2011, 03:01 PM   #284
Christopher
Writer

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
But she did give him a reason not to trust her: she lied. He caught her "tell".
The point is, even if she was keeping a secret, he should know her well enough by now to know that she's a good and trustworthy person and that, if she did need to deceive him, it was probably for a legitimate reason. One single deception shouldn't be enough to make him forget everything he knows about her character and start assuming the worst. That's how trust works. If you really trust someone, you don't toss out that trust the moment they're less than completely honest with you. You have faith that there's a good reason for it.

Old March 31 2011, 03:30 PM   #285
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^ She lied to his face (more than once), and Castle's been consistently shown to be somewhat overprotective. And I think people are missing the fact the Castle was shown to be in the wrong for tracking her like that.

Good episode overall, though I admit the details of the cases are becoming less and less interesting than the interplay between Castle, Beckett, Ryan, Esposito, and Montgomery. In this particular case, the political situation of the city was more interesting. Taking down a corrupt DA mostly offscreen is a pretty big plotpoint; are they going to go anywhere with this?