Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 15 2010, 01:55 PM   #16
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile
Re: Disney's "Tangled" (alias "Rapunzel") - review thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, that's disheartening, because it's the commercials that have gotten my interest.
If you're not a Disney fan, it might still be worth watching in a theater for the stunning visuals alone. (and the best 3D I've seen next to Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon)
The trailers were definitely misleading, though - this is not a lame Shrek clone like the trailers suggested but a classical Disney musical in the vein of Beauty & the Beast and The Little Mermaid, albeit with a slight Pixar influence.
Old December 15 2010, 04:15 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Well, the more Pixar and the less Shrek, the better.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 05:59 PM   #18
Joy
Commodore

Small White Car summarizes the awesomeness of Tangled the best.

And yeah, I was disappointed that there weren't more songs... I am particularly disappointed Zachary Levi didn't get to sing more, 'cause he's got a beautiful voice.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 06:54 PM   #19
Small White Car
Rear Admiral

View Small White Car's Twitter Profile

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
At the end of the day I think I liked TANGLED a little better than TOY STORY 3.
To be clear, I totally liked 'Tangled' more, my comment was all about Oscar voting. On that, I go back and forth. It's a damn hard choice.

I forgot one more PRO:

* The 'love song' is good (not Disney's best, but good) BUT the visuals for that were the most amazing they've ever done for one of those types of songs. That scene alone makes the 3D version worth it. (I saw it both ways.)

I'm not a fan of 3D, and the rest of the film backs up my feelings there. But the lantern scenes is almost enough for me to recommend seeing this in 3D (which I never usually say).
Small White Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2010, 07:21 AM   #20
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

I dont supposed they worked Dylan's "Tangled Up In Blue" into the soundtrack?
Old December 20 2010, 03:06 AM   #21
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

SPOILERS BELOW>>>>>>>>

hmm ok, well i just saw it, to be honest I found it pretty average. It wasnt as bad as I feared, the Shrek-like advertising made it seem much worse than it was, but I dunno, there was nothing that really surprised me. The characters were all pretty much cookie cutter Disney tropes. Im amazed how much love there is for the horse, he reminded me of every other Disney sidekick horse(Pegasus, Kahn, Samson, Phillip, etc...)

Its funny when Flynn made his surprise move at the end I thought, wow wouldnt it be really sad and heartbreaking if Flynn actually does die for finally doing something unselfish for once in his life, what a life lesson that would be for Rapunzel, it would be such a bittersweet but poignant ending...thinking of that idea, it even choked me up a bit, I got all teary... then I realized, wait this is Disney, its not gonna happen! sure enough he gets saved at the end zzzz. Yeah I know, what did I expect from Disney? but maybe after years of being a Disney animation fan & seeing so many of their, & their competitor's, films, Im just wanting more from an animated film these days. I mean at least Princess & the Frog had the guts to kill off a sidekick & How To Train Your Dragon disabled its hero at the end. I think at some point there should be a real sense of loss that the characters experience so that once you get the happy ending you really feel like it means something.

Also, I do wish I had seen it in 3d. I think I might have enjoyed it more. Some of the art was really nice(loved all the painted detail on the walls) & really seemed like 3d would have given it even more depth. Unfortunatley my eyes are messed up right now(dry eye syndrome) & I dont think i couldve handled the 3d.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 12:11 PM   #22
DBR
Vice Admiral

I saw it tonight, and thought it was fantastic.

Visually, it is the best looking animated film I've seen. The rich, lush forests and mountains are simply amazing: so rich and lifelike, yet still charmingly cartoony. It seems like a ton of work went into refining this movie; all the environments are intricately detailed and impressive. The character animation kind of stands out in contrast to the environment, which I think puts a lot of focus on the characters. I don't really know how to describe what I mean. I'm not at all saying the character designs are bad, they're just different.

The story is solid, it stays pretty focused and doesn't introduce a shit ton of main and supporting characters to follow. There's that gang of morons, but you don't really have to get to know them. And the animal sidekicks do not talk and weren't annoying--hallelujah! It's a light story, a fun story throughout.

And wow, Mother Gothel was hot! I mean.... yeah, hot!

I knew nothing of the voice casting, and about 20 minutes in to the movie I commented to the person I was watching with that maybe this movie was bucking the established trend of using big name celebrities and their big recognizable voices. . .then I heard Frankenstein from Everybody Loves Raymond, and eventually I identified Mandy Moore, but the others I couldn't pick out. After consulting IMDB, I see I was wrong.

One thing about this movie I didn't like was the music. The songs were all very dull and forgettable, and some were downright bad. During the first third of the movie, I was worried the entire movie was going to be a musical, but things dialed down.

But overall, it was a very good movie, I can't wait to watch it again and see what I missed.