Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 29 2011, 05:35 PM   #391
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

You can destroy anything with your fist if you have enough patience, but you can only harvest stone blocks and minerals using a pickaxe. A wooden pickaxe allows you to harvest coal and stone, a stone pickaxe allows you to harvest lapis lazuli and iron, an iron pickaxe allows you to harvest redstone, gold and diamonds, and a diamond pickaxe allows you to harvest obsidian. Obsidian is the strongest material in the game (excluding bedrock, which is unbreakable) and it's used to make portals to the Nether realm.
Old March 29 2011, 05:37 PM   #392
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Don't forget sand, which is sand coloured, Cutter. That obeys gravity too and can be turned into glass!
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 06:22 PM   #393
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Dirt - soft block that you can plant trees, wheat, and flowers on.
I also like using dirt as "scaffolding" when building things, as it's quick and easy to get rid of when you're done with it.
Old March 29 2011, 06:23 PM   #394
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

To add to what Ben said, stone pickaxes can also mine coal.

Also keep in mind that gold is not very useful for making any tools (shovels, pickaxes, axes, hoes, swords). While you can do it, they're relatively low-durability items and not worth wasting the comparatively rare gold on.

Sand obeys gravity but sandstone does not. It can be hard to tell the difference sometimes, until you get up close.

Definitely make use of the Minecraft Wiki to learn all about the game mechanics! It is always being updated as the game is enhanced so I use it to find out about new blocks and whatnot as they are made available.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 06:24 PM   #395
Peak
Fleet Captain

If you see anything that looks like a green... male anatomy thingy... scream like a little girl and run away!

My DVDs
Peak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 06:55 PM   #396
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^You never see them the first time. Some better advice would be; if you suddenly hear a loud bang, see your items strewn across a small crater and the respawn screen comes up, then you've just encountered a creeper!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 07:03 PM   #397
Peak
Fleet Captain

You have a point. They do tend to make my mornings a bit nervous. I'm currently flatting a large area to have somewhere to plant wheat and things. And have my do... eh... wolf-house when it's time for the next update..

I do not want to have craters in my flatted field, thanks.

My DVDs
Peak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 09:02 PM   #398
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Try to keep your house close to your spawn point. That way, you don't have to trek several thousand miles against generally identical pieces of land only to find out you've been going the wrong way.

Failing that, build a giant dirt tower and put a ton of torches on top and all around the side.

Adding to some useful information about resources...

Gunpowder - An advanced resource that makes TNT and is very difficult to harvest, because it only has one source- giant green exploding... things. Creepers. You have to kill it with a weapon; gunpowder is NOT dropped by detonated Creepers.

String - A resource that's slightly easier to collect, but still not a cakewalk. These are dropped by Spiders, and you need them to make bows. Spiders are passive during the day, so this is a pretty good time to collect it, but they'll still defend themselves once you attack.

Redstone - A HIGHLY advanced resource that is found near bedrock level (the bottom limit of the map). You can use it to create advanced electrical contraptions, like TNT cannons, code-locked doors, lava traps, and other crazy things. One block generally yields about 6-8 Redstone pieces. As mentioned above, you need an iron pick to mine it, or you'll just destroy the block without getting anything.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 10:21 PM   #399
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

FYI, Notch has said what the next update should contain:

Notch wrote:
I’ve been able to focus on development a lot the last couple of weeks, and we’re hoping to get the new update out soon. It will include the wolves, the ability to change your spawn point, and a rather ambitious statistics tracking and achievement system. Once that update is out, we’ll spend some time figuring out exactly what to do with the modding, which should result in a nice modding API.
We will finally be able to change our spawn points!

I can't really give a fuck about having an achievement system, though.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Old March 30 2011, 03:37 AM   #400
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
FYI, Notch has said what the next update should contain:

Notch wrote:
I’ve been able to focus on development a lot the last couple of weeks, and we’re hoping to get the new update out soon. It will include the wolves, the ability to change your spawn point, and a rather ambitious statistics tracking and achievement system. Once that update is out, we’ll spend some time figuring out exactly what to do with the modding, which should result in a nice modding API.
We will finally be able to change our spawn points!

I can't really give a fuck about having an achievement system, though.
I find the idea of achievements pretty interesting. It'll give you something to do in addition to simple survival. But I guess we'll have to see how it turns out.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 04:50 AM   #401
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Part of me wonders if the achievement thing means they're prepping for a Steam/XBox version of the game. Seems kinda pointless though when there are so many other things in the game that need expanding on. (how about more uses for dyes damnit!)

Gold - Well, you can use four pieces to make a clock, but other than that, meh. I ended up just dumping all of mine in a box at the center of my pyramid next to all my collected bones.

Creepers - Just pretend you're playing a fps and keep your situational awareness high. They do tend to go away later in the day though. At least above ground. Fortunately craters are at least easy to fill back in. Just keep a big pile of dirtblocks and a couple of porkchops on hand for quick recovery.

TNT - Be careful though, as it tends to blow up resource blocks as well.

Spawnpoint - Always make it a point to make note of any landmarks. Also making 2 block stacks in otherwise flat areas is a cheap way of marking your path. I also like to set down blocks of cobblestone with torches on top to act as guides back to my house.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 04:55 AM   #402
judge alba
senior street judge

so far i've built a house from dirt and a tunnel having read the wiki i can get torches and a pick axe.

oh it was quite a surprise when i went back to my tunnel to see the enterance explode
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 03:17 PM   #403
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I can't remember my first encounter with a creeper and how I learned that they explode, but the earliest memory of one that I can recall is the time I exited my wooden shack one morning and there was one right there, and it blew the side off my house. That's when I decided to upgrade to cobblestone.

And I was lucky because I spawned on a peninsula so I never got lost, I could always just follow the water back to my house. I remember that on my second day I was desperate for coal so I made the dangerous trek to that valley that's a minute away from my home to look for some in the cliff-face. It seemed like such a huge deal at the time, but now my fortress walls almost extend into that valley and the cliff-face where I got that coal has been replaced with some nice grass. It's amazing how powerless I felt back then and how powerful I feel now. And how super-powerful I'll feel once I have torches all over my landmass and I can walk freely at night from one end to the other without fear of harassment.

That may take some time, though.
Old March 30 2011, 03:25 PM   #404
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Hey, maybe you guys can help give me ideas for my lower castle levels. I'm going to do fairly traditional castle stuff once I get it built up to that level, but for now I'm filling in that 50x50 footprint.

The bottom is my glass pool. One level above that, I have a room lined with flaming Netherrack. Not sure what to put in there. I have enough room for maybe 5-6 more levels. I think one should be a library and another should be an art gallery. Do you guys have any ideas? I was also thinking of making a "Nether" level filled with things you find only in the Nether, complete with a portal. I also thought of making a desert level with sandstone and such. I am willing to entertain just about any idea, and each level can be some arbitrary height in blocks.

You can check out my world to see what I've got at this point.
Old March 31 2011, 02:10 AM   #405
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Hmm, monster spawner maybe? Big dark room with running water channels that sweep zombies and skeletons toward a center pool thats underneath a skylight? Maybe add a glass tunnel or ladder so you can go in and harvest the arrows and feathers?

Underground tree farm?

In other news, hey check it out! Quick and easy poles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r02K_o6aKgs

I made myself a lampost. I'm so proud.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; March 31 2011 at 02:52 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote