Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 29 2011, 09:04 PM   #31
Servo
Rear Admiral

Re: Consoles Are Fun!

J. Allen wrote: View Post
(and in the case of the XBOX 360, repeated returns due to overheating).
The new generation of 360s with the built in HDDs are a lot more stable and less prone to failure than the original models.
Old March 29 2011, 09:06 PM   #32
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Servo wrote: View Post
The new generation of 360s with the built in HDDs are a lot more stable and less prone to failure than the original models.
They probably are, but I'll be gunshy about it for a while. When I had bought a 360, it was an investment that failed repeatedly. Each time "Oh, this core is much better" or "this fan is much stronger" only for it to overheat time and again, and I'd get BS answers like "you shouldn't play your 360 for more than half an hour", or "you shouldn't play movies since that overheats it". I hold that against Microsoft, because they knew better, so I'm not willing to part with what I consider a great deal of money to make that gamble again.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 09:10 PM   #33
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Oh yay it's 2011 and I still get to say that Eternal Darkness is the most over rated game for the Gamecube by far. The games camera and controls (the two most important features) make the game unplayable.

^ I'll check those out, too. I just picked up Star Wars Rogue Leader and it looks gorgeous. Got it for a $1 used!
Where?!?!

Mario and Mario Kart are the worst ever made, so pass, honestly I played the hell out of Mario Kart 64 and the GC one is horrible and Mario Sunshine should pretend never was made.

Beyond Good and Evil is an amazing game, buy that. F-Zero GX is one of, if not the best racing games ever made, it looks beautiful even to this day. It was even made by Sega. Super Monkey Ball 1 is great, the sequel is based on luck and not skill, I can't stand it. Viewtifull Joe is great too, really pretty game. Buy Animal Crossing because it has Nintendo (NES) games like Donkey Kong in it. Chibi-robo is the craziest game ever made, if you can find it buy it.

Your best best is still Gamestop in my opinion because Flea Markets still charge $1-$2 for used VHS and $4-6 for used DVDs that I can find for $5 new. When the system was dying I found several games like something Wars, Chibi-Robo, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (played with drums!) and others for $10 a piece new. So even know they are normally pretty cheap.

The next game you should get is F-Zero GX.
Old March 29 2011, 09:11 PM   #34
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Servo wrote: View Post
They probably are, but I'll be gunshy about it for a while. When I had bought a 360, it was an investment that failed repeatedly. Each time "Oh, this core is much better" or "this fan is much stronger" only for it to overheat time and again, and I'd get BS answers like "you shouldn't play your 360 for more than half an hour", or "you shouldn't play movies since that overheats it". I hold that against Microsoft, because they knew better, so I'm not willing to part with what I consider a great deal of money to make that gamble again.
Sony did the same thing with the PS2, they made several million consoles (at least) poorly because they didn't care, they knew after 2-3 years you would buy a new console and they get more money. I will never forgive them for that.
Old March 29 2011, 09:15 PM   #35
clint g
Admiral

In the cases of both Sony and Microsoft, there plan worked

I've owned two PS2s and two 360s
Old March 29 2011, 09:20 PM   #36
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

clint g wrote: View Post
In the cases of both Sony and Microsoft, there plan worked

I've owned two PS2s and two 360s
My favorite is G4 or Tech TV or someone explained how Sony did it. They made this thing that looks like a quarter plastic instead of metal and you can fit the thing yourself.

It's why I own Nintendo consoles, they know how to make them well and last a long time.

Here are all the Gamecube games I own besides some I bought for cheap in late 2009 to 2010, All but Mario, Animal Crossing and Metriod were bought for less than $20 new.

Bolds are the ones I had the most fun with. The Simpson game is really well made, it's like a GTA game.

007 Nightfire
Animal Crossing
Barnyard
Battalion Wars
Beyond Good and Evil
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
Chibi-Robo

Defender
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Donkey Konga

Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Never opened it and it's now worth some money)
Frogger Beyond
F-Zero GX - Buy now.
Geist (A Nintendo game that needed another 6 months to get the bugs out of it, otherwise overlooked.)
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
Judge Dredd
LEGO Star Wars
LEGO Star Wars 2

Luigi’s Mansion
Mario Power Tennis
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Metal Arms Glitch in the System
Metriod Prime
Midway Arcade Treasures
Midway Arcade Treasures 3
NFL 2003
Rayman 3
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Sonic Gems Collection
Sonic Mega Collection
SSX on Tour
Star Fox Assault
Star Wars Rogue Leader
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Money Ball 2
Super Monkey Ball
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Tak and the Power of Juju
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Simpsons Hit and Run
Timespliters 2
Tony Hawk Underground 2
True Crime Streets of LA
Vietiful Joe
Vietiful Joe 2
Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble
XIII
Old March 29 2011, 09:26 PM   #37
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

I've had my 360 for four years and never had any problems besides occasional overheating, which is fixed by keeping a fan blowing on the console or restarting it when it does happen. Yes, I play it for hours and hours non-stop at a time and the overheating is still rare. I don't know why all you guys had/are having issues with consoles breaking.
6079SmithW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 09:26 PM   #38
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I never got why so many people disliked Mario Kart, but then I did manage to scrounge other players for a multiplayer game more often than not.

F-Zero GX really is great, a lot harder than the N64 offering too so there's some longivity going for it too.
Old March 29 2011, 09:27 PM   #39
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

^ I'll check those out, too. I just picked up Star Wars Rogue Leader and it looks gorgeous. Got it for a $1 used!
What was really amazing for me was that it was a launch title and still had amazing graphics years after it was released. The sequel wasn't quite as good (the on foot levels were a bit clumsy), but still worth picking up because it is still more of the same.

I also want to recommend Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Paper Mario.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 09:36 PM   #40
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post

I never got why so many people disliked Mario Kart, but then I did manage to scrounge other players for a multiplayer game more often than not.

F-Zero GX really is great, a lot harder than the N64 offering too so there's some longivity going for it too.
I like Mario Kart and F-Zero, however Nintendo made some shitty games in the GC era and Mario Kart was one of them.

It is very hard, I still haven't unlocked the final levels, I think it's called the Queen Race.
Old March 29 2011, 10:24 PM   #41
clint g
Admiral

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
I've had my 360 for four years and never had any problems besides occasional overheating, which is fixed by keeping a fan blowing on the console or restarting it when it does happen. Yes, I play it for hours and hours non-stop at a time and the overheating is still rare. I don't know why all you guys had/are having issues with consoles breaking.
You're the exception to the rule. There is no debate that there were design flaws with the xbox 360. The repair policy for the RROD is proof enough of this. The fact that you haven't received it yet means you're lucky. It doesn't mean that the flaw never existed.
Old March 29 2011, 10:33 PM   #42
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Yeah I think even the New Yorks Times did reports that 75%-90% of the first 360s were bad.

But this is a Gamecube thread and I haven't met anyone that had a bad Gamecube. I had a "bad" open button, but it fixed itself after a year.
Old March 29 2011, 10:33 PM   #43
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Where?!?!
Gamestop. It was for 99 cents, and I took it home and found the disc to be unplayable. Took it back, they gave me one of the discs out of the $4.99 used sleeve at no extra charge.

Mario and Mario Kart are the worst ever made, so pass, honestly I played the hell out of Mario Kart 64 and the GC one is horrible and Mario Sunshine should pretend never was made.

Beyond Good and Evil is an amazing game, buy that. F-Zero GX is one of, if not the best racing games ever made, it looks beautiful even to this day. It was even made by Sega. Super Monkey Ball 1 is great, the sequel is based on luck and not skill, I can't stand it. Viewtifull Joe is great too, really pretty game. Buy Animal Crossing because it has Nintendo (NES) games like Donkey Kong in it. Chibi-robo is the craziest game ever made, if you can find it buy it.

Your best best is still Gamestop in my opinion because Flea Markets still charge $1-$2 for used VHS and $4-6 for used DVDs that I can find for $5 new. When the system was dying I found several games like something Wars, Chibi-Robo, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (played with drums!) and others for $10 a piece new. So even know they are normally pretty cheap.

Yes, I want that one, too. I also found the Jungle Beat drums at Gamestop for $1.99, but since I don't have the game and couldn't find it there, I didn't buy them. I get the feeling that was a bad idea.

Sony did the same thing with the PS2, they made several million consoles (at least) poorly because they didn't care, they knew after 2-3 years you would buy a new console and they get more money. I will never forgive them for that.
True, and they got away with it too, just like Microsoft.

TheBrew wrote: View Post
What was really amazing for me was that it was a launch title and still had amazing graphics years after it was released. The sequel wasn't quite as good (the on foot levels were a bit clumsy), but still worth picking up because it is still more of the same.

I also want to recommend Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Paper Mario.
I really want Paper Mario. It just looks like something that would be fun.

You're the exception to the rule. There is no debate that there were design flaws with the xbox 360. The repair policy for the RROD is proof enough of this. The fact that you haven't received it yet means you're lucky. It doesn't mean that the flaw never existed.
Agreed. Smith, you were lucky. I returned mine 3 times. I knew people who kept returning them time and time again, and as long as they didn't have to pay for it, they kept returning the dead 360s for refurb ones. At some point, though, Microsoft stopped exchanging, and if you got a bad one, you were SOL, but they'd only charge you $100 to repair something that was their fault.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 10:37 PM   #44
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

It only means that he jinxed himself. It will happen Probably even a week from making the post. It usually happens that way.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 10:47 PM   #45
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I also found the Jungle Beat drums at Gamestop for $1.99, but since I don't have the game and couldn't find it there, I didn't buy them. I get the feeling that was a bad idea.

True, and they got away with it too, just like Microsoft.
I wouldn't worry about it. I have four drums (came free with the $10 game), they are dirt cheap. Find a game and then the drums because you can play the game without the drums, but I have never tried.

Sony was found guilty of fucking up and paying a fine of $10 or $100 million dollars, I think it was $10 million. Even at $100 million they still made billions off of it.

I never bought Paper Mario, I don't know why, just doesn't seem my thing, but looks beautiful.