New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 28 2011, 09:28 PM   #931
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

^ Interesting article. I posted a link to something similar a few weeks ago and got roundly shouted down for doing so.

It's hard to see Snyder leaving now, with casting under way but then again directors have been known to leave projects this far into pre-production. I still don't think he's the right man for this movie and I have to admit, I'd be far from heart-broken if he did.
Old March 28 2011, 09:51 PM   #932
Agenda
Fleet Captain

I just gotta ask, of all the talent out there in the industry, why Snyder? The only true bonafide hit he can lay claim to is 300, and a lot of people are split on the quality of that one. I truly believe he's a one-hit wonder who has somehow been able to coast on his success from that movie. Watchmen underperformed, as did his owl movie, and Suckerpunch is virtually a flop. I personally can't stand his slo-mo action scenes and over-reliance on blue screen backdrops, and I don't think he can direct or write honest-to-goodness drama to save his life.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 10:12 PM   #933
Jetfire

Here is another article; Why Zack Snyder is the Perfect Director for Superman: Man of Steel
Old March 28 2011, 10:15 PM   #934
Agenda
Fleet Captain

The moment he compared Snyder to Spielberg, I stopped reading.
Old March 28 2011, 10:17 PM   #935
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
I just gotta ask, of all the talent out there in the industry, why Snyder? The only true bonafide hit he can lay claim to is 300, and a lot of people are split on the quality of that one. I truly believe he's a one-hit wonder who has somehow been able to coast on his success from that movie. Watchmen underperformed, as did his owl movie, and Suckerpunch is virtually a flop. I personally can't stand his slo-mo action scenes and over-reliance on blue screen backdrops, and I don't think he can direct or write honest-to-goodness drama to save his life.
I've heard this used to describe M Night Shaymalan (sp) in regards to Sixth Sense. I personally think he's made as many good movies as middling or worse but others have said similar.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 10:23 PM   #936
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Then you should have read more carefully up to that point, since the discussion of Spielberg had nothing to do with comparing his talents to Snyder's.

Truth to tell, 1941 is exactly what I think of whenever a successful director's career is declared to be on the skids after a commercial failure.

I've liked everything I've seen by Snyder, so I have no complaints. Let the bean counters count beans, I just want to see an interesting movie - and I'd rather have one interesting Superman movie and no more ever again than a "franchise" of vapid, stylish slugfests.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; March 28 2011 at 10:34 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 10:40 PM   #937
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Dang it, I really like 1941. Parts of it anyway.
Old March 28 2011, 10:44 PM   #938
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Dennis wrote: View Post
Then you should have read more carefully up to that point, since the discussion of Spielberg had nothing to do with comparing his talents to Snyder's.

Truth to tell, 1941 is exactly what I think of whenever a successful director's career is declared to be on the skids after a commercial failure.

I've liked everything I've seen by Snyder, so I have no complaints. Let the bean counters count beans, I just want to see an interesting movie - and I'd rather have one interesting Superman movie and no more ever again than a "franchise" of vapid, stylish slugfests.
Before we start talking about Snyder's 1941, first he's got to make a Jaws and a Close Encounters. I haven't seen either from him yet. 300 doesn't even come close to those two.
Old March 28 2011, 10:48 PM   #939
Aragorn
Admiral

Sucker Punch's box office has nothing to do with Snyder directing Superman. One has nothing to do with the other. If Superman were this big blockbuster original idea that was all Snyder's project from the ground up, that might be a different issue.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 10:49 PM   #940
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
'Vapid' is Snyder's middle name.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 10:54 PM   #941
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
'Vapid' is Snyder's middle name.
No.

Before we start talking about Snyder's 1941, first he's got to make a Jaws and a Close Encounters.
No he doesn't. You've missed the point in spectacular fashion because you're still reading a comparison between Spielberg and Snyder in terms that are not there in the article.

I like this:

One is excellent (Superman), one is good (Superman II — but choppy due to the Donner/Lester fiasco), one is serviceable (Superman Returns), one is bad (Superman III) and one is unwatchable (Superman IV: The Quest for Peace).
Accurate except that the first Superman film is not "excellent" - it's a pretty good movie but it's episodic, uneven and not terribly stylish. The movie is carried through some rough spots on the strength of Reeve's performance and his charisma.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 11:19 PM   #942
davejames
Vice Admiral

To all the people saying Snyder doesn't know how to work with characters or tell a story, I think his Dawn of the Dead proves that he DOES indeed have those skills (otherwise that movie wouldn't have been half as suspenseful as it was, and would have been just another cheesy, over-stylized Resident Evil).

Unfortunately he's been stuck on this over-processed, over-stylized greenscreen approach for a while, and it's just been killing his storytelling abilities.

Here's hoping the bad response to Sucker Punch will make him realize he needs to dial things back a bit for Superman. The fact he's already said he'll be doing a lot more outdoor, on-location work is a good sign of that, I think.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2011, 11:24 PM   #943
Marten
Captain

Amy Adams as Lois Lane? I'm in, at least.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 12:04 AM   #944
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I have no concerns regarding "Superman: Man of Steel". Snyder has not revised the script, Nolan and Goyer have been taking care of that part. Zack's creative control pertains to the project in terms of casting, directing, overseeing the art department, etc. I'm sure that Nolan is advising and consulting but probably not very much since he's been busy in pre-prod for "The Dark Knight Rises". The casting alone has me confident that Snyder knows what he's doing with the project. Everything that he's said so far is on the right path. He could have started off on the wrong foot with casting, but that hasn't happened yet.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 12:06 AM   #945
Jetfire

I really thought Snyder would have got Joe Manganiello for Supes. I am cool with Cavill though.