Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 27 2011, 09:59 PM   #886
Christopher
Writer

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Aragorn wrote: View Post
They had to cast AA as LL. It's that obvious.

Of course, that limits the Lex Luthor options. Kevin Kline? Chevy Chase? Michael Madsen? Emilio Estevez? Sylvester Stallone?
Adam Arkin
Bryan Brown
Christian Clemenson
Daniel Day-Lewis

Sorry, can't think of another EE.

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
I like Amy Adams too, but I wanted an actress who was closer in age to Henry Cavill. She's 9 years older than her costar, and will be at least 40 by the time she plays Lois Lane in her third Superman film (assuming she signs for three as actors often do in these franchise deals).
I like the idea of Lois as a slightly older, more seasoned journalist, a woman who's been around the block a few times.

And what's wrong with her being 40 in the third movie? Famke Janssen was 42 and Halle Berry was 40 in X-Men: The Last Stand. Gwyneth Paltrow was 38 in Iron Man 2. Nothing wrong with a little maturity. Heck, nobody seemed to have a problem with 40-plus actors playing Iron Man or RoboCop or Jack Ryan, so let's make some effort to wipe out the double standard.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 10:09 PM   #887
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I told you guys we'd get more casting news this week...just didn't think it'd be so soon! I love this casting. I think Amy is an excellent actress.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 10:10 PM   #888
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Amy Adams certainly doesn't look 9 years older than Henry Cavill. They could easily write the characters as being basically the same age.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 10:10 PM   #889
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

I like Amy Adams too, but I wanted an actress who was closer in age to Henry Cavill. She's 9 years older than her costar, and will be at least 40 by the time she plays Lois Lane in her third Superman film (assuming she signs for three as actors often do in these franchise deals).
I like the idea of Lois as a slightly older, more seasoned journalist, a woman who's been around the block a few times.
"Been around the block" Lois Lane is one way to rationalize the casting of an older actress. For a reboot, I prefer the notion of a young reporter, just out of college, who is beginning to impress her fellow journalists at the Daily Planet. Also, I think there is a more natural attraction between the two leads if they are closer in age. But that's my bias.
Old March 27 2011, 10:45 PM   #890
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Interesting side note, Amy Adams guest starred on Smallville as the freak-of-the-week in the first season's "Craving".
Old March 27 2011, 10:51 PM   #891
Dream
Admiral

AMY ADAMS IS LOIS LANE!

In case people haven't heard yet...

I've always liked her since Enchanted. I think she will be a great Lois.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 10:51 PM   #892
CaptainCanada
Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
I never even considered Amy Adams, but hey works for me!
I like Amy Adams too, but I wanted an actress who was closer in age to Henry Cavill. She's 9 years older than her costar, and will be at least 40 by the time she plays Lois Lane in her third Superman film (assuming she signs for three as actors often do in these franchise deals). BTW, Margot Kidder was only 4 years older than Christopher Reeve.
Lois, in the typical setup, is the Planet's star reporter when Clark is a noob, so her being older doesn't seem that unusual to me. And it's not like Adams remotely looks her age, anyway.

Anyway, Adams isn't somebody I would ever have suggested for the part, but I think she suits it very well. She's a three-time Oscar nominee, so she hardly lacks acting skill.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 10:54 PM   #893
Christopher
Writer

"Been around the block" Lois Lane is one way to rationalize the casting of an older actress. For a reboot, I prefer the notion of a young reporter, just out of college, who is beginning to impress her fellow journalists at the Daily Planet.
But that's not Lois's role you're describing -- it's Clark's role. He's the one who's just shown up as a bright new talent and begins to impress his colleagues. Lois is the seasoned veteran who's already a star. What would be the point in giving Lois a role that's a mirror image of Clark's?

Also, I think there is a more natural attraction between the two leads if they are closer in age. But that's my bias.
There have been countless movies and shows pairing male leads in their 40s or 50s with romantic interests a decade or two younger than them. Harrison Ford is 14 years older than Carrie Fisher, 9 years older than Karen Allen. If it can work with the man being older, there's no reason it shouldn't work with the woman being older. Like I said, we should reject the double standards of the past.

Old March 27 2011, 10:55 PM   #894
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Who the hell cares how old Lois is in this movie? Does it really matter? No...

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 11:09 PM   #895
Skywalker
Admiral

I really like Amy Adams as Lois, I think she'll be great. I don't see why she would have to dye her hair or wear a wig, though. Lois Lane's character is not dependent on her being a brunette.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 11:21 PM   #896
Dream
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I really like Amy Adams as Lois, I think she'll be great. I don't see why she would have to dye her hair or wear a wig, though. Lois Lane's character is not dependent on her being a brunette.
Lois Lane not a brunette? That's like not making Lex bald! Unthinkable!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 11:29 PM   #897
Jetfire

If you are casting Amy Adams as Lois Lane it would be a crime for her not to be a ginger.
Old March 27 2011, 11:32 PM   #898
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

That female characters might change their hair color between films seems...completely reasonable, actually.

As I said earlier, I like the idea of Lois as older than Clark. It works.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 11:44 PM   #899
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
As an example of how anal some among the fanboisie can be, there are already a couple of objections out there to the effect that Adams would be appropriate for Lana Lang but is wrong for Lois Lane - apparently because of her hair color.
Next time someone tries that argument, just give him this:

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 11:53 PM   #900
Christopher
Writer

Dream wrote: View Post
Lois Lane not a brunette? That's like not making Lex bald! Unthinkable!
Noel Neill, the first live-action Lois Lane who ever appeared in color, was a redhead:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/pics/50057_01_lg.jpg

For that matter, Erica Durance's Lois has been coppery-haired at times:

http://www.universeguide.com/Picture...lvilleFace.jpg