RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,415
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 420
Newest member: shrutidhrma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 27 2011, 08:06 PM   #871
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

As an example of how anal some among the fanboisie can be, there are already a couple of objections out there to the effect that Adams would be appropriate for Lana Lang but is wrong for Lois Lane - apparently because of her hair color.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 08:08 PM   #872
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ That'd be another great choice. Here are my top five:

1. Zooey Deschanel (probably not)
2. Elizabeth Banks
3. Rachel McAdams
4. Mary Elizabeth Winstead
5. Rebeca Hall

As for predicting who was going to be Superman...I voted in Jet's thread for Matthew Bomer. Henry Cavil was my second choice.

Zooey Deschanel would have been great to play off Brandon Routh in SR.

Isn't my understanding that Kevin Spacey agreed to play Lex Luthor on the condition that Kate Botchworth got the part for Lois?
Old March 27 2011, 08:27 PM   #873
the G-man
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
As an example of how anal some among the fanboisie can be, there are already a couple of objections out there to the effect that Adams would be appropriate for Lana Lang but is wrong for Lois Lane - apparently because of her hair color.

Wigs and dye, people. Wigs and dye.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 08:28 PM   #874
the G-man
Commodore

O'Dib wrote: View Post
I haven't seen the fighter so I can't use that performance to gauge my response, but Amy Adams seems too cutesy. Returns also used someone who was famous for playing teenagers...
Amy Adams is 36 and looks like she's in her late 20s.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 08:29 PM   #875
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ That'd be another great choice. Here are my top five:

1. Zooey Deschanel (probably not)
2. Elizabeth Banks
3. Rachel McAdams
4. Mary Elizabeth Winstead
5. Rebeca Hall

As for predicting who was going to be Superman...I voted in Jet's thread for Matthew Bomer. Henry Cavil was my second choice.

Zooey Deschanel would have been great to play off Brandon Routh in SR.

Isn't my understanding that Kevin Spacey agreed to play Lex Luthor on the condition that Kate Botchworth got the part for Lois?
I don't think it was that explicit. He'd worked with her on Beyond the Sea and recommended her but he didn't have any sort of veto.

Edit - I managed to miss the Amy Adams bit when I went straight to the last page of this thread. I think it's an excellent choice. Not just because she has a comic strip like alliterative name but she'll bring all the pizzaz and vibrancy that Kate Bosworth spectacularly failed to bring to the role.
Old March 27 2011, 08:35 PM   #876
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post

Wigs and dye, people. Wigs and dye.

I know. This boggles the mind. We went through the same thing with Mary Jane Watson, Gwen Stacy, etcetera. Why is it so hard to grasp that actors and actresses often change their hair color for a part?

Heck, this isn't even a secret Hollywood thing. Most of the women I know have changed their hair color a couple of times, just for variety's sake. "I'm tired of being a redhead. I think I'm going try blonde for awhile . . . ."

What planet do these people live on?
Old March 27 2011, 08:39 PM   #877
23skidoo
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I know. This boggles the mind. We went through the same thing with Mary Jane Watson, Gwen Stacy, etcetera. Why is it so hard to grasp that actors and actresses often change their hair color for a part?

Heck, this isn't even a secret Hollywood thing. Most of the women I know have changed their hair color a couple of times, just for variety's sake. "I'm tired of being a redhead. I think I'm going try blonde for awhile . . . ."

What planet do these people live on?
I don't know. Frankly I'm of the opinion most of the people complaining about Amy Adams had these complaints all ready to go regardless who was cast in the part.

I mean, honestly, would ANYONE have satisfied these people? I personally think Amy Adams is a great choice because, among other things, she brings the type of cachet that might actually elevate this film above something appealing only to fanboys and kids.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 08:48 PM   #878
Gojira
Commodore

Amy Adams! I am happy with this choice!

Last edited by Gojira; March 27 2011 at 11:05 PM.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 08:56 PM   #879
Jetfire

The casting so far has been great...

Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman/Kal-El
Diane Lane as Martha Kent
Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent
Amy Adams as Lois Lane

Can't wait to see who is next.
Old March 27 2011, 09:07 PM   #880
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Is she going to try and eat Pete Ross?
Old March 27 2011, 09:16 PM   #881
Christopher
Writer

Well, turnabout is fair play, since we had a raven-haired Lana Lang in Smallville. Maybe we need a ginger Lois to restore cosmic balance.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
On the other hand, what bugged me about both MJ and Jean Grey in the movies is that they never had the same hair color from one movie to the next. Dunst's MJ was darker red in the first movie, lighter in the second, in between in the third, while Janssen's Jean was sort of the reverse. The advantage of going with someone who has the right hair color naturally is that the color presumably wouldn't be so variable from one movie to the next. (And while we're at it, why was Rogue's white streak more blonde than white in X2?)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 09:18 PM   #882
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I never even considered Amy Adams, but hey works for me!
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 09:27 PM   #883
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
On the other hand, what bugged me about both MJ and Jean Grey in the movies is that they never had the same hair color from one movie to the next. Dunst's MJ was darker red in the first movie, lighter in the second, in between in the third, while Janssen's Jean was sort of the reverse. The advantage of going with someone who has the right hair color naturally is that the color presumably wouldn't be so variable from one movie to the next.
Maybe the characters used hair coloring?
Old March 27 2011, 09:41 PM   #884
Aragorn
Admiral

They had to cast AA as LL. It's that obvious.

Of course, that limits the Lex Luthor options. Kevin Kline? Chevy Chase? Michael Madsen? Emilio Estevez? Sylvester Stallone?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 09:44 PM   #885
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
I never even considered Amy Adams, but hey works for me!
I like Amy Adams too, but I wanted an actress who was closer in age to Henry Cavill. She's 9 years older than her costar, and will be at least 40 by the time she plays Lois Lane in her third Superman film (assuming she signs for three as actors often do in these franchise deals). BTW, Margot Kidder was only 4 years older than Christopher Reeve.

Incidentally, I hope the Zod rumors will cease. Been there, done that.