TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 25 2011, 07:43 PM   #16
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

I didn't know there were that many good games for it when I started this.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 10:53 PM   #17
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Okay, I got my hands on Metroid Prime ($3 used). I'm still standing by my statement that even on an HDTV, Gamecube graphics look very good, and the game itself is pretty good. I'm not quite sure what to expect so far.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Old March 26 2011, 11:29 PM   #18
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I agree, consoles are better by far for the purpose of gaming than cell phones or PC's. Consoles are ready to play games at full speed right out of the box, no RAM sticks, video cards or graphics drivers required.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 12:55 AM   #19
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
or PC's.

Hey now, those are big words : I just got myself a PS3, but that doesn't mean that PCs don't still have advantages when gaming especially on certain types of games like FPSs or MMOs.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 01:21 AM   #20
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
I agree, consoles are better by far for the purpose of gaming than cell phones or PC's. Consoles are ready to play games at full speed right out of the box, no RAM sticks, video cards or graphics drivers required.
Yep. With that little Gamecube, I can start playing games from 2001 and keep playing them right up to the games are discontinued, and not have to upgrade anything.
Old March 27 2011, 03:56 AM   #21
Kirkman1987
Commodore

I just ordered a copy of Resident Evil 2 for the cube, a game I'm ashamed to say I've never played (have only played remake and 4). Can't wait.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 11:27 AM   #22
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Did anyone mention Viewtifull Joe yet?!?
And J. you can also easily look at video reviews to see if the games look like fun to you...
Old March 27 2011, 09:31 PM   #23
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Gah! I could have picked up Viewtiful Joe for $3.99 while I was out today.
Ah well, I did grab Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour and Soul Calibur II for $4 a piece, respectively. Honestly, outside of the internet, it's getting very difficult to find Gamecube games. I was at the flea market today, and one of the sellers had a whole wall of Gamecube games, and I was delighted until I saw that the cheapest one was $15, while others ran upwards of $50, and these weren't new. Other game sellers were the same, with the cheapest being $12 used. I find that kind of pricing rather absurd. I have bought most of my used GC games from Gamestop, but they only have a rack of about 30, and half of those are repeat titles.

I am buying (next week possibly) my niece a smaller controller for the GC. She can't quite reach all the buttons with her fingers, so I'm buying a mini controller just for her. That's so she can play Mario Golf and Finding Nemo (and if I can get her interested, Rogue Leader!).
Old March 28 2011, 03:01 PM   #24
Jax
Admiral

Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
I just ordered a copy of Resident Evil 2 for the cube, a game I'm ashamed to say I've never played (have only played remake and 4). Can't wait.
One thing I love about the Wii is the GC backwards ability because its allowed me to play Resi 2 and Resi 3 again on the Wii via the GC remakes. I played Resident Evil 4 as well, which uses the Wii controls very very well and the remake of Resident Evil 1 (Archives) is a solid buy . They also have the Zero remake in the Wii in the Archives franchise but I don't like Zero.
Old March 28 2011, 04:03 PM   #25
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Maybe that's why GC games are still relatively expensive, because people buy them up for the Wii. I mean, the graphics still look really good, and some of the more fun titles are on the GC.
Old March 28 2011, 04:06 PM   #26
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Jax wrote: View Post
Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
One thing I love about the Wii is the GC backwards ability because its allowed me to play Resi 2 and Resi 3 again on the Wii via the GC remakes. I played Resident Evil 4 as well, which uses the Wii controls very very well and the remake of Resident Evil 1 (Archives) is a solid buy . They also have the Zero remake in the Wii in the Archives franchise but I don't like Zero.
I'm playing through the series on my wii as well, so I'll get to Zero down the line.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 08:12 AM   #27
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

I've debated whether to get Zero or not. It's $5 (used - no manual) at Gamestop. I wasn't very big into the Resident Evil games. Believe it or not, I'm looking for Mario games, and am finding it to be wanting for the Gamecube. The N64 seems to have a boatload of such games, though.
Old March 29 2011, 08:43 AM   #28
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

don't forget Serious Sam
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 08:01 PM   #29
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
The Gamecube isn't up to the standard of Nintendo's other great consoles
I'd rate it above the N64 easily, in terms of the games available, the performance of the machine and the life span of the pads compared to the easily-jammed-and-don't-think-about-a-3rd-party-model pads for the N64.

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
I would also like to point out, again, Eternal Darkness
It's really that good. I got a copy thrown in with a second hand GC and hadn't heard about it before that. I didn't play it for a while since I'd picked up Mario Kart with the Zelda sampler and then Wind Waker soon after, but once you get into it, the structure of the game is quite engrossing.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Okay, I got my hands on Metroid Prime ($3 used). I'm still standing by my statement that even on an HDTV, Gamecube graphics look very good, and the game itself is pretty good. I'm not quite sure what to expect so far.
You're my kind of gamer I've still got my GC and I won't be picking up a Wii till they're down to about £50 at the very least. I expect to get quite a bit of use out of it.
Old March 29 2011, 08:13 PM   #30
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post
You're my kind of gamer I've still got my GC and I won't be picking up a Wii till they're down to about £50 at the very least. I expect to get quite a bit of use out of it.
Thanks! Believe me, I'd like to own a nice PS3, Nintendo Wii or XBOX 360, but the prices keep me away (and in the case of the XBOX 360, repeated returns due to overheating). To add to that, why pay $200-$500 for a system and then $20-$60 for games, when I can enjoy a nice system and good games for about $30 and $5 respectively?

I'd get more games off of Amazon, but the shipping costs are absurd most of the time. It may be a penny for a game (w00t!), but then it's $6 shipping. Grab a few games and you may be paying 20 cents for all three, but then you're paying $18-$20 for 4 to 14 day shipping. Silliness.

Unfortunately, the Flea Market is no better. $15-$35 for used GC games? Absurd. Our local thrift stores are mostly about clothes, and if you search on a local site like Craigslist, someone may offer games, but they're titles you either already have or are just mediocre titles. It gets a tad frustrating sometimes.