Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 25 2011, 09:40 PM   #16
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Re: What functions do the Storm Trooper armor serve?

infinix wrote: View Post
What good are those armors?
You look badass, and never have to worry about a bad hair day.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 09:50 PM   #17
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

My guess is this: They're Star Wars' equivalent to Star Trek's Redshirt. They're indispensable to the Empire, and they don't care if any of them get killed, therefore, the armor they have probably isn't the best that the empire has. They're able to use them in numbers because they're easy to train. Occasionally, you'll see a few with higher ranks, but that's probably only because they somehow managed to survive.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 09:52 PM   #18
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
After seeing the shot-gun like circular stun blast that felled Princess Leia in A New Hope, as a kid, I immediately jumped to the conclusion that the stormtrooper armor protected against stun blasts.
Good idea!

By which I mean, to make the literally minded less unhappy: "Good wankage!"
Old March 25 2011, 10:21 PM   #19
KJbushway
Commodore

I believe that armor is to add signifcant wieght to the car to prevent a small tornado from lifting it up or tipping it over. As far it not stopping anything, I have seen once in the first season I think, where it survived a heck of a hail storm, the windsheild was the only thing cracked.
KJbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 03:46 AM   #20
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Furthermore, in the opening segment of A New Hope, when the stormtroopers board Princess Leia's starship, notice that the Rebels do not have fully automatic fire blasters. My interpretation is that the armor incurs a minimum charge to penetrate effectively, which imposes a cost on all weapons against the Empire. This cost would be significant galaxy wide, even with only partially effective armor. Those equipping the Tantive IV obviously could not afford better sidearms for the crew, than those which could deliver a charge sufficient to penetrate the armor effectively in at best semiautomatic fire mode.
This is the dorkiest thing I ever read, which is to say, I like it.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 03:53 AM   #21
Anduril
Captain

KJbushway wrote: View Post
I believe that armor is to add signifcant wieght to the car to prevent a small tornado from lifting it up or tipping it over. As far it not stopping anything, I have seen once in the first season I think, where it survived a heck of a hail storm, the windsheild was the only thing cracked.
WHUT
Old March 26 2011, 04:14 AM   #22
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Old March 26 2011, 05:38 AM   #23
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Rothschild wrote: View Post
KJbushway wrote: View Post
WHUT
Old March 26 2011, 05:58 AM   #24
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
My guess is this: They're Star Wars' equivalent to Star Trek's Redshirt. They're indispensable to the Empire, and they don't care if any of them get killed, therefore, the armor they have probably isn't the best that the empire has. They're able to use them in numbers because they're easy to train. Occasionally, you'll see a few with higher ranks, but that's probably only because they somehow managed to survive.
Don't think it was ever mentioned on screen but some of the books pretty much state the opposite - storm troops are valuable, are well trained and post Endor are in short supply.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 06:13 AM   #25
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
Don't think it was ever mentioned on screen but some of the books pretty much state the opposite - storm troops are valuable, are well trained and post Endor are in short supply.

You're most likely right. I don't reach much Star Wars fiction. As an aside, does this mean that there's a possible Redshirt extinction though? Someone must save those Redshirts!
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 06:23 AM   #26
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Marc wrote: View Post

You're most likely right. I don't reach much Star Wars fiction. As an aside, does this mean that there's a possible Redshirt extinction though? Someone must save those Redshirts!
Why do think they changed the uniform colours?

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 01:24 PM   #27
Whofan
Fleet Captain

The EU thing about Stormtroopers being limited I think was based on the assumption that they were an elite force, and that the guys in the big helmets and black shirts were the 'regular' army. However, judging by the prequels, Lucas I think intended them to be the main army of the Republic/Empire.
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 04:10 PM   #28
infinix
Fleet Captain

Whofan wrote: View Post
The EU thing about Stormtroopers being limited I think was based on the assumption that they were an elite force, and that the guys in the big helmets and black shirts were the 'regular' army. However, judging by the prequels, Lucas I think intended them to be the main army of the Republic/Empire.
Sorry, but it is very difficult to take the storm troopers seriously after witness how inept they are in RotJ. They were poorly trained, uncoordinated, and absolutely disorganized.

SW.Republic Commando was a great game, but EU is EU.
Old March 26 2011, 05:53 PM   #29
captcalhoun
Admiral

the stormtroopers running out in the novels was because the Republic was killing them all and taking planets from the Empire, which was decreasing in size year-on-year, and losing Caridia and other Academy worlds didn't help.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 07:45 PM   #30
KJbushway
Commodore

Oops sry folks. I thought you were talking about Weather channels, storm trooper tank that videos tornadoes. My mistake.
KJbushway is offline   Reply With Quote