Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 25 2011, 05:25 AM   #106
RavenCWG
Ensign

Re: Worst Star trek actor ever

DS9 wrote: View Post
Will Wheaton, hands down. TNG could have benefitted without him.
I think Will Wheaton has gotten a really bad rap over the years. I personally don't feel like his acting ability had much of anything to do with why his character wasn't good. You see, I was 13 y/o (about year younger than Will) when TNG started in 1987, so one of my biggest pet peeves, particularly of that first season, was the demeaning and dismissive way the writers treated, not only Wesley Crusher, but children and teenagers in general. In the case of Wesley, you had this 14-15 y/o teenage actor playing the part, but they wrote the character as though it was for an 8 or 9 y/o, and that is exactly how all the other characters treated him. His was the most prominent example, but certainly not the only one. Consider the "children" in "Justice". The Enterprise goes to this planet where its inhabitance are all about sex and "make love at the drop of a hat...ANY hat." as Tasha Yar put it, and yet all of the "children" (who in actuality all appeared to be between 15 and 17) act like a bunch of 50's, "Leave it to Beaver" innocent, naive 5 y/o's completely oblivious and disinterested in the fact that all of the adults are making out in plain sight all around them. Yah, that's realistic!
RavenCWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 09:43 PM   #107
Vulpes
Lieutenant

To be honest, Shatner. As far as I can tell, he can convey two emotions: smug and very smug.
Vulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 10:06 PM   #108
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

I'd have to disagree with that, but that's just me.

I happen to think the guy is a fine actor, but in terms of performances I'd have to say I've never cared much for Stephen Collins in TMP. Most of the time he was either completely unremarkable or just kind of annoying.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 10:22 PM   #109
Merky
Captain

Shatner in TOS, which is really weird to say because he's an excellent actor in everything else but Star Trek.

I was blown away here. Like, dude, he's the best thing out of this whole radio play!

Of course in the movies he toned down the ham, but jfc, sometimes it got so campy that you actually have pause the DVD and shake your head.

Merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 10:49 PM   #110
lurok
Commodore

tbf, that second clip - isn't it from Turnabout Intruder? Which is pretty fubar ep. as not really 'Kirk'.
Old March 25 2011, 11:14 PM   #111
Merky
Captain

lurok wrote: View Post
tbf, that second clip - isn't it from Turnabout Intruder? Which is pretty fubar ep. as not really 'Kirk'.
And the Children Shall Lead, Kirk freaks when they make him think he lost command of his ship.
Old March 25 2011, 11:25 PM   #112
lurok
Commodore

Merky wrote: View Post
And the Children Shall Lead, Kirk freaks when they make him think he lost command of his ship.
well, Kirk did tend to do that anytime he was threatened with losing control of ship...
Old March 25 2011, 11:36 PM   #113
Merky
Captain

well, Kirk did tend to do that anytime he was threatened with losing control of ship...
that is true!

Old March 26 2011, 02:10 AM   #114
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Shatner in TOS, which is really weird to say because he's an excellent actor in everything else but Star Trek.
I actually agree with this statement. For a time I used to get really bewildered at all the praise that Shatner would get on this board, as if people were just kissing his butt out of favoritism more than anything else. But name another prominent show or film with Shatner and it's great. Denny Crane!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan and I think he does his job in TOS. But TOS-Shatner isn't his best work imo.

~clip snip~
Maybe this is why nuKirk got to be captain so fast -- the higher-ups knew that if he didn't get the ship, THIS would happen
Old March 26 2011, 03:25 AM   #115
Elder Knight
Captain

Which was damn near every week for three years.
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 07:40 AM   #116
mobes
Ensign

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I actually agree with this statement. For a time I used to get really bewildered at all the praise that Shatner would get on this board, as if people were just kissing his butt out of favoritism more than anything else. But name another prominent show or film with Shatner and it's great. Denny Crane!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan and I think he does his job in TOS. But TOS-Shatner isn't his best work imo.

~clip snip~
Maybe this is why nuKirk got to be captain so fast -- the higher-ups knew that if he didn't get the ship, THIS would happen
You guys are daft! You're only thinking about the really bad bits, the scenes that comedians copy for laughs. There's thousands of other scenes where he doesn't overact, and they're excellent.

Remeber Charlie X for example :
"Go to your quarters, or I'll pick you up and carry you there."

You have to look at all the scenes, not just the intense dramatic, screwed up ones. And the director has some responsibility there too, which is why I don't blame the tng actors solely for their incredibly stiff performances
mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 08:00 AM   #117
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

I find this a difficult question to answer in regards to the regular actors, I find it difficult to distinguish between characters I'm not that fond of and the actor's performances.
Katherine Hepburn once told Cary Grant that he wasn't acting, he was just playing himself. Grant replied yes, but I play myself so well. We remember him for his performances not his acting. There is definately a difference between acting and a performance. I prefer Alexander Siddig's performance better than Nana Visitor's, but I don't think I could tell you who was the better actor.

As for the guest stars on the other hand, the female Vulcan maquis member from season 2 of DS9 was pretty awful.
Old March 26 2011, 09:29 AM   #118
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

mobes wrote: View Post

~clip snip~
You guys are daft! You're only thinking about the really bad bits, the scenes that comedians copy for laughs. There's thousands of other scenes where he doesn't overact, and they're excellent.

You have to look at all the scenes, not just the intense dramatic, screwed up ones. And the director has some responsibility there too, which is why I don't blame the tng actors solely for their incredibly stiff performances
I've been rewatching TOS lately, so no, I don't think I'm remembering just what comedians are saying. And for a time during the TNG run, I preferred TOS. I just don't find TOS-Shatner to be all that exceptional or nuanced as an actor. The way he slips out of his chair when he finds out that David died in TSFS is great, but you don't see that kind of depth in TOS from him in my opinion (then again, Shatner could have been taking advantage of 20 years worth of experience since TOS, too).
Old March 26 2011, 03:52 PM   #119
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Patrickivan wrote: View Post
That's hard- there were so many. I wouldn't even try to recall the guests or background actors who sucked.

Eric Bana as Nero. The name was stupid. His odd drooping mouth was stupid. His monotone voice throughout the whole movie. Fuck, he was aweful.

Shatner was aweful at times, surprisingly awesome other times.

Oh, I could look it up, but I'm recovering from vertigo so I won't. But Captain Klang or whatever he was called in Star Trek TFF. He was pretty bad.

OH WAIT! The super hot Romulan babe at the beginning of TFF... She was the worst. I still cringe everytime I hear her voice in that movie. Smokin' hot though. Hottest Romulan ever.
Cynthia Gaow is the actress who played the Romulan.
http://www.cynthiagouw.com/
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 08:31 PM   #120
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

mobes wrote: View Post

I've been rewatching TOS lately, so no, I don't think I'm remembering just what comedians are saying. And for a time during the TNG run, I preferred TOS. I just don't find TOS-Shatner to be all that exceptional or nuanced as an actor. The way he slips out of his chair when he finds out that David died in TSFS is great, but you don't see that kind of depth in TOS from him in my opinion (then again, Shatner could have been taking advantage of 20 years worth of experience since TOS, too).
Shatner's best acting work may not have been on TOS, but he was certainly entertaining for the most part. I'd venture to guess that was closer to his job description on TOS than anything to do with a fine performance. Or at least that seems to be how he looked at it.

Anyway I'm glad the show got Shatner instead of Jeffrey Hunter. Talk about a guy who just seemed to suck the fun out of everything.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote